Afro Samurai

Green_Bird 01-03-2007 09:28 PM
I watched the first episode. It was okay...the fights were good. But the first episode was a little too fast paced for my tastes...though then again what can you do if you only have 5 half hour episodes to fit a story into. But that really doesn't leave much room for anything else but fighting.

It's also a whole lot like Samurai Champloo...All but a wee bit more bloodier and a lot more technology. There's even a fight in a tea house that almost mirrors some of the part in Samurai Champloo. Unfortunately until I see the other 4 episodes...I have yet to make my decision on if I like Afro Samurai or not. It's okay...but like I said...it goes by to fast.

Right now I give the series a 4/5 on the action and a 2/5 over all. Watch the first episode here. if that doesn't work I'll give you the youtube links.
Scourge 01-04-2007 12:16 AM
I think the series is bad ass, sure the story is stale but this is a series where action takes the forefront and the action is smooth.

Also with Ron Pearlman and Sam L Jackson as VAs, the series can't suck.
Pie_Junkie 01-05-2007 02:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Scourge
Also with Ron Pearlman and Sam L Jackson as VAs, the series can't suck.

My thoughts exactly. I watched it tho and yeah, it doesn't suck.
minespatch 01-05-2007 04:32 AM
saw it finally, and i liked it. somehow i thought ron pearlman was going to use his slade voice but instead took a turn in steve blums book(by meaning, steve blum's orochimaru voice).

i agree with ya, anything with ron pearlman doesn't dissatisfy me.

samuel l. jackson was great in there as well.

the storyline was original, so i have to give the thumbs up at the production company who made this.
Big Money 01-05-2007 02:43 PM
It lost points for having two separate numbered groups.

But other than that it was crazy awesome.
Scourge 01-05-2007 04:58 PM
I missed it last night, Spike goes out for me at night for some reason.
Mr. Saturn 01-05-2007 09:32 PM
Greatest anime I've seen in a LONG time. This is the kind of stuff all those Narutards and Bleach-o-philes need to watch and take cues from.

Its nice to see an anime that doesn't have all those damn face faults and sweatdrops and "SUPAA KAWAII JAPANESE ^_________^" all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that It's just nice to see an anime that people don't watch because it makes them feel more Japanese, an anime that people watch because they want to see something kick ass.
Raven 01-06-2007 12:42 AM
So far, it just seems like mindless violence aimed at someone with a 13 year old mind. The animation is nice and all, but I didn't really care for it beyond that.
Scourge 01-06-2007 10:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
So far, it just seems like mindless violence aimed at someone with a 13 year old mind. The animation is nice and all, but I didn't really care for it beyond that.

Yeah, basically but sometimes that is just what you need after thirty Anime series that are almost identical in approach.
Raven 01-06-2007 12:02 PM
quote:
quote:

Yeah, basically but sometimes that is just what you need after thirty Anime series that are almost identical in approach.

Not really. If I want mindless violence I'll watch something that doesn't suck. I don't watch that many anime series to begin with.
Scourge 01-06-2007 03:28 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really. If I want mindless violence I'll watch something that doesn't suck. I don't watch that many anime series to begin with.

You make it seem like there is something that has mindless violence and is deep.
Raven 01-06-2007 10:24 PM
quote:
You make it seem like there is something that has mindless violence and is deep.

Nope, I am just saying that Afro Samurai sucks worse than most things with mindless violence.
Mr. Saturn 01-06-2007 11:25 PM
quote:

I was going to come up with a clever one liner to spite what you just said but then I looked at your profile and saw that one of your favorite characters from Naruto is Neji. That pretty much speaks for itself.
Raven 01-06-2007 11:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Saturn
I was going to come up with a clever one liner to spite what you just said but then I looked at your profile and saw that one of your favorite characters from Naruto is Neji. That pretty much speaks for itself.

That fact that you need to resort to petty insults shows me that Afro Samurai is the perfect show for you. Thumbs Up
Scourge 01-06-2007 11:30 PM
quote:
quote:

Well Naruto isn't mindless, just cliched as hell.
Darkside 01-06-2007 11:46 PM
quote:
Greatest anime I've seen in a LONG time. This is the kind of stuff all those Narutards and Bleach-o-philes need to watch and take cues from.

Its nice to see an anime that doesn't have all those damn face faults and sweatdrops and "SUPAA KAWAII JAPANESE ^_________^" all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that It's just nice to see an anime that people don't watch because it makes them feel more Japanese, an anime that people watch because they want to see something kick ass.

Amen to that. BTW, Afro Samurai = best anime i've seen in a loooooong time.
David Ryder 01-08-2007 05:23 AM
I watched thefirst Episode, it sucked, but so does Naruto and Bleach.
Barrin 01-11-2007 01:31 PM
If you're not into swordfighting and samurai anime, you probably won't like this.

Personally, this reminded me more of Ninja Scroll for gore level. I barely made the connection with Samurai Champloo.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
It lost points for having two separate numbered groups.

But other than that it was crazy awesome.

You didn't like two sets of numbers? Why? It wasn't hard to understand. We have the monk group that number themselves, and then we have the top two warriors, number one and number two.
Paradigm Dog 01-13-2007 06:44 PM
Hmm...

Like Basilisk, Afro Samurai plays to the Ninja Scroll Movie era of anime fans big time, while taking a lot of cues from Samurai Champloo and especially Ninja Scroll TV, I feel. Quality, over-the-top speed and action in animation is largely a lost art these days and is missed, though, so it's refreshing to see that--who would have thought Studio Gonzo could do it?

On the other hand, the violence isn't done with an artistic tastefulness, to the point where this series is hard to enjoy. It's very morose and disturbingly gratuituious. Furthermore, and the worst part, is the continous, rediculous portrayal of women, which is terribly backwards and exploitive--the focus on that element cheapens the credibility of the work a lot. Also, the story is pretty plain, and the samurai anime genre has been flooded lately.

As for violent anime series with substance--"Berserk," anyone? And the original Fist of the North Star is also noteworthy.

And as a final note: Naruto, despite the shonen filler it has, has tons more heart and creativity to it than people give it credit for. I'm by no means a hardcore Naruto fan, but I've been surprised by Naruto and have enjoyed it a good deal so far.