seraphjei 12-22-2006 01:40 AM
i have a feeling this movie is going to break some new ground in movie making. It's based on Frank Miller's graphic novel about the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C.

IMDB 300
Trailer
Heres the trailer.

The movie looks quite promising.
Zopwx2 12-22-2006 03:03 AM
It's so historically innacurate my brain exploded.
Buck Buck #1 12-23-2006 11:36 PM
All of the dialogue is slow motion yelling, it's gonna be so sweet.
Nine Kuze 01-05-2007 02:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
It's so historically innacurate my brain exploded.

I don't know if its supposed to be historically accurate in the first place (for some reason, Braveheart gets the same knock on it) but yeah, there's something... off about all this to me. Don't know what but yeah.

Also, found this article on Comingsoon.net that goes into great detail on what's going down on the set of 300.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 02-03-2007 03:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I don't know if its supposed to be historically accurate in the first place (for some reason, Braveheart gets the same knock on it) but yeah, there's something... off about all this to me. Don't know what but yeah.
Peace.

300 is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel.

the more historically accurate version of King Leonidas' heroic stand is 300 Spartans. It's one of Miller's favorite movies, and inspired him to create 300.
seraphjei 02-19-2007 09:48 PM
The movies release is comming soon. So heres a much needed update.

Official site
There are two official trailers so check em out.
Also just for kicks the song in the trailer is done by nine inch nails.

Proving that this movie doesn't give a sh** about historical accuracy.

A screening of the movie has already premeried at the Berlin International Film Festival and recieved a standing ovation. This is a review done by a Todd Gilchrist over at IGN.

Warning spoilers may be ahead.

quote:
February 12, 2007 - It's truly difficult to resist making epic proclamations about a filmmaker's career after watching something like 300. Director Zack Snyder, the man responsible for a superlative remake of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead, adapts Frank Miller's graphic novel with passion and creativity, proving that classical storytelling will never go out of style — especially if more filmmakers are able to make it look as cool and exciting as this. Combining old-school mythmaking with ultramodern technique, Snyder has crafted a one-of-a-kind masterpiece that is unlike any movie audiences have seen, and in so doing he may have sealed his own fate as a possible redeemer of modern moviemaking.

Gerard Butler plays Leonidas, the wise king of Sparta. Raised with the utmost ideals — honor, duty, glory — Leonidas is a brilliant military strategist and egalitarian champion of personal freedom. So when news arrives from Persia to herald Xerxes' (Rodrigo Santoro) sovereignty over Sparta, he rebuffs the declaration and announces that his countrymen must fight to preserve their way of life. Unfortunately, the Spartan elders honor an ancient and fickle belief system that prohibits Leonidas from challenging the impending Persian hordes.

Fearing for the safety and freedom of his people, Leonidas enlists 300 soldiers -- declared his personal bodyguards -- and mounts a valiant defense against Xerxes and his limitless armies. Meanwhile, his wife, Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey), attempts to employ more diplomatic means to solicit support from the Spartan council, even as Theron (Dominic West) poisons its members to her plan from within.

The simplicity of the plot is the film's greatest virtue. Rather than languishing in the details of military strategy or inundating audiences in the subtleties of Spartan politics, director Snyder renders Miller's story in big, broad strokes. For example, the film's opening sequence introduces rather simply the cultural tradition that inspired larger-than-life figures like Leonidas: Great men are born and bred, nurtured in their natural abilities and trained to serve a specific purpose. Indeed, this sequence not only explains everything one needs to know about the hero, but reveals the origins of his masterful battle strategy… not to mention the Spartan philosophical ideals upon which it is based.

At the same time, however, there is a palpable humanity to Leonidas and his men. While they do in some way provide the latest cinematic iteration of Schwarzeneggeresque musclemen — not one of them is built less than Ford tough — they are not without thoughts and feelings, which are applied liberally to their efforts to protect one another and, by extension, their Spartan homeland.

Best of all, Leonidas' relationship with his wife Gorgo offers a rare display of tenderness and devotion that is seldom seen in "guy movies" like this one, and provides some of the film's most profound and lasting emotional underpinnings. Notwithstanding a sex scene that almost surely ranks as one of the hottest and most beautiful in recent memory, theirs is a partnership that reflects mutual understanding and shows the sort of commitment that is to be aspired to in real life as much as on the silver screen.

Thankfully, the acting also plays directly to this seeming juxtaposition between classicism and modernism. Butler, a reliable Russell Crowe-like leading man who hasn't yet enjoyed the success he deserves, finally finds his Maximus in Leonidas. He possesses enough strength and tenderness to satisfy all of the demands of his character, and yet defines the film within terms that will have audiences swooning over his personal stage presence for countless roles to come. As Gorgo, meanwhile, Headey is a terrific adult beauty who conveys credible intelligence as well as smoldering sexuality. The lack of self-consciousness she lends her character — especially when clothed — is far hotter than and sort of make-up for the "prettiness" filmmakers might have found in a more familiar (i.e. commercial) face.

Of course, the only way their performances would have worked is if the material was treated deadly serious, and Snyder exerts masterful control to make sure that each defiant turn and earnest proclamation is absolutely sincere. He choreographs the action in such a way as to inspire awe no matter what his characters are doing, employing slow-motion so freely that it seems more the norm than the 24 frames per second that audiences have become accustomed to. But at the same time, none of these flourishes feel superfluous. Instead, they create the kind of momentum and operatic scope that elevates a tall tale to the stuff of legend.

That said, there are so many painterly images in 300 that it qualifies as the closest thing to "pure cinema" that audiences have come to in quite some time: The silhouette of the Spartan elders' temple against a cloud-stained moon; the spectacle of dead bodies in the shape of a great, gnarled hand reaching out of scorched soil; more than one extended shot of the Spartans laying waste to their adversaries as the camera changes speeds, zooms and shifts focus to keep up; and the pristine and breathtaking shadow of a lone spear as it ascends a stairwell towards its designated target.

Ultimately, the film looks a little bit like a Boris Vallejo print come to life — muscled supermen springing to action to save their oil-painted landscape — and full credit must go to Snyder. But with both this and Dawn of the Dead, he has proven himself a consummate storyteller who can transform convention into cinematic magic… which is why it's with reluctant enthusiasm that we assign him the responsibility of restoring the luster of mainstream movies.

After all, who knows how well Snyder will do moving forward, or what career path he might follow? It seems like his only (or maybe most obvious) predecessor would be Ridley Scott, who broke into the mainstream with a similar sort of genre-movie deconstruction and whose last big commercial success no doubt served as at least a vague template for some of the style on display here. Suffice it to say that Snyder could do worse than follow Scott's career path, rewriting rules and changing the landscape with each new effort. But keep in mind that it took Scott 22 years to follow Alien with a Gladiator, and it took only four for Snyder to go from Dawn to 300.

Ultimately, this film combines an archetypal conflict, an ancient storytelling tradition reaching back as far as the Greeks themselves, and technique that makes it relevant to modern audiences. In other words, it's not clear whether great movie myths are born or bred, but 300 is unequivocally one of them.

He gave to movie 5 out of 5 stars.

I'm still looking foward to this movie.
Big Money 02-19-2007 09:56 PM
There's a chance I might see this on IMAX with my APEH class, during school.

Which would own, hard.
The Baker St. Irregular 02-19-2007 11:28 PM
Yaaay! A movie based on a comic book and it's GOOD!

Of course, it's Frank Miller.
Mr. Peabody 03-09-2007 10:45 PM
I saw 300 this afternoon.

It's an inspiring and entertaining movie. Although the source material is a graphic novel, it's a fitting tribute to King Leonidas and his 300 Spartans.

This movie undoubtedly is the bloodiest representation of ancient warfare. I can only imagine what the director's cut will be like!
seraphjei 03-10-2007 09:59 PM
This movie was quite entertaining. It lived up to its hype. I will watch in IMAX shortly.
evanASF27 03-10-2007 10:38 PM
I just saw 300 tonight.... it was AWESOME. Very bloody, but what would one expect? Tongue

Since my college's mascot happens to be "The Spartans" ...heh... TONIGHT WE WILL DINE IN HELL!!! Evil
Mike 03-11-2007 03:34 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to see this in Imax sometime this week and soil myself.
Hobodoken 03-11-2007 07:44 PM
Saw it Thursday night at midnight, saw it again yesterday.

Very awesome both times.
Darkside 03-11-2007 11:56 PM
Review of "300", by the best film reviewer on the planet.
who is Neill Cumpston:

(from http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31520)

And of course, spoiler warning and stuff

quote:
I just saw a movie that’ll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It’s called 300. I don’t know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could’ve called it KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it’d still rule.

It’s about these 300 Greek dudes who stomp the sugar-coated sh** out of like a million other dudes. I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports coaches are going to show this film to their teams before they play. Also, gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer wallpaper.

The movie takes place about a million years ago, and it’s sort of like a prequel to SIN CITY. Except way less guns and cars but twice as much skull splitting. If you watch this movie and go into a Taco Bell, and say to the cashier, “I need some extra sauce packets” guess what? You’re getting twenty sauce packets because your face will punch him in the brain.

I can’t spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISN’T ONE. Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass that’s hitting someone’s balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

TWO COOL THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE AND ONE THING I DIDN’T LIKE:

COOL THING ONE:
HEAVY METAL DURING BATTLE SCENES

Who gives a sh** if the music isn’t historically correct? LORD OF THE RINGS could’ve used some Journey. This movie has that chu-CHUNG kind of metal that you hear in your head when your shift supervisor at Wetzel’s Pretzel is telling you that you’ll have to stay for clean up and you wish you had a sock filled with quarters in your hand.

COOL THING TWO:
FOES, MINI-BOSSES AND A BIG BOSS

Basically, the Greek dudes are fighting these Persian dudes, but the director, who must have a dick made of three machine guns, does it all like a video game. The Greeks fight every death metal video from the last ten years. There’s wave after wave of giants, freaks, ninjas, mutants, wizards, and a hunchback who looks like he’s got Rosie O’Donnell on his back.

Would I have been happy if Dom DeLuise from HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART I had shown up? Maybe, but this movie more than makes up for that glaring oversight.

NOT SO GOOD THING:
DUDE NUDITY (“DUDE-ITY”)

These are Greek times, when there were a lot of naked women around. And there are some naked women in this film, but almost every naked woman scene has a muscular dude giving the screen an ass picnic. Dude-ity is something directors put in their movies so people will think they’re serious, I guess, and not just throwing in naked hotties.

Any directors reading this – IT’S OKAY TO JUST THROW IN NAKED HOTTIES.

Can’t someone make a movie about naked Amazons and call it PAUSE BUTTON?

My final analysis is 300 the most ass-ruling movie I’ve seen this year, and will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.
Fujiko 03-12-2007 12:44 AM
Okay, so I saw this last night. Let me say that this was one of the best action/battle movies I have ever seen, no joke. Maybe I was in the mood for it, but the limbs flying everywhere, the CGI blood, and that damn random rhino just made my night. It was perfectly cheesy. There wasn't much of a plot (but then again, we're talking about a battle here, so it's all good), but the (sort of) cinematography made up for it.

Except for the
spoiler (highlight to read):
sex scene, which was totally out of place and not necessary at all.
People were actually laughing at that.

Forgive me if I'm a little more incoherent than usual.
Nine Kuze 03-12-2007 12:44 AM
quote:
I just saw a movie that’ll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It’s called 300. I don’t know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could’ve called it KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it’d still rule.

That reviewer was obviously too busy with his eye boners to pay attention to the details of the film. Doesn't know what the title has to do with the movie? Come on, that's a given even before walking into the theater. And The Transporter?

Anyway I watched it today with my sister and her friend and the movie was straight. It was cool but I wasn't really that impressed with it all that much. For the most part, the narration was horrible, the slow motion gimmick was bit to the point of overkill and the all the yelling... man.

...anyway, some shots kicked ass (the end with the kid and the Queen in the fields, the Oracle's dance) and some lines in there as well. "Only Spartan women give birth to real men." Nice.

I also read the graphic novel after watching the movie and its a damn good translation from novel to film.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by My Fujicakes, who I miss everyday very, very much
It was perfectly cheesy.

Yes, yes it was. The sex scene, yeah I can take it or leave it but the way it was pulled off was good enough for me. Also, Lena Hedley's (Queen Gorgo) performance kicked ass.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 03-12-2007 06:14 AM
quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Anyway I watched it today with my sister and her friend and the movie was straight. It was cool but I wasn't really that impressed with it all that much. For the most part, the narration was horrible, the slow motion gimmick was bit to the point of overkill and the all the yelling... man.

I believe you misunderstand the point of the film's narration. This was an age when news and stories were told by orators, and it wasn't uncommon for them to exaggerate the tale to impress the audience. That's why Leonidas sent that particular Spartan back home with the news of his death, as that Spartan had a talent for public speaking.

I appreciated the director's style. I hate the "combat cameraman" style in contemporary war films. I can't see what's going on dammit! Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI...anyway, some shots kicked ass (the end with the kid and the Queen in the fields, the Oracle's dance) and some lines in there as well. "Only Spartan women give birth to real men." Nice.

That's an actual quote a Spartan woman said to a visiting Greek, who was surprised at the freedom and influence Spartan women enjoyed in their society.
Fujiko 03-12-2007 06:40 AM
quote:
...anyway, some shots kicked ass (the end with the kid and the Queen in the fields, the Oracle's dance) and some lines in there as well. "Only Spartan women give birth to real men." Nice.

And I said "pwned!"

I actually liked the style of the film. As I stated before, it was perfectly cheesy. The fact that it was in an exaggerated storytelling mode made the story more enjoyable for me. In fact, it reminded me of old folklore. And the slow motion gave off the comic book feel (plus it showed more flying limbs), so I can't really complain about that.
Nine Kuze 03-12-2007 09:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
quote:

I believe you misunderstand the point of the film's narration. This was an age when news and stories were told by orators, and it wasn't uncommon for them to exaggerate the tale to impress the audience. That's why Leonidas sent that particular Spartan back home with the news of his death, as that Spartan had a talent for public speaking.

I appreciated the director's style. I hate the "combat cameraman" style in contemporary war films. I can't see what's going on dammit! Mad

Oh no my man, you misunderstand. I understand that aspect all together with telling the tale of through speech to other people, especially those in Sparta and those in future generations as far as this film goes. Its necessary for that. I meant in terms outside of the story of 300 and in general filmmaking measures, the narration was too much and took away from the film in those regards. I mean, to narrate just about everything that happens on the screen takes away from the very thing its trying to assist in.

And because of the French New Wave from the 60's and 70's, handheld camera movements are used more and more, especially in relation to films that have battle scenes and what have you. For the sense of trying to give the impression of illusion, and it works so that's not really going away anytime soon.
Peace.
Mike 03-12-2007 10:17 AM
shakeycam makes me think of Saving Private Ryan. They do it so you feel like you're down there with the poor suckers getting their heads blown off, but yeah, it makes it hard to see the epic grandeur of it all when it's shaking and there's a dust cloud from an exploding grenade blocking the view.