Nine Kuze 03-12-2007 10:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
shakeycam makes me think of Saving Private Ryan. They do it so you feel like you're down there with the poor suckers getting their heads blown off, but yeah, it makes it hard to see the epic grandeur of it all when it's shaking and there's a dust cloud from an exploding grenade blocking the view.

Yeah, this is in correlation with what I said above. Its all for the sake of establishing the audience with some sort of realism that you are actually in the film participating and not just watching.

For the most part, I like the handheld camera technique. Sometimes I can't stand the movements sometimes myself when they get too hectic of way too over the top, but when its done like how Mike mentioned Saving Private Ryan, then its comes out flawless and I'm all for it. Whetever it be on the French beach battlefields with Tom Hanks or in the Spartan phalanx with Gerard Butler.

EDIT: Also, 300 has already dropped $70 million in its weekend opening, setting a new record in the month of March.
Peace.
seraphjei 03-14-2007 10:57 PM
I saw this IMAX, and it's a terrific movie but seeing the movie in such a epic scale really does make a difference. This movie has the most promising eye-candy I have seen in a long time. I left the theater with my ass sore from being kicked around so much.

Visually stunning, but this movie has caused quite an uproar in the Iranian community. Although their distress may be understandable to a degree, one needs to keep in mind it's just a movie, and on top of that it's based of a graphic novel by Frank Miller, accuracy is on the bottom of the priority list. If I wanted an accurate depiction I would much rather view a documentary on it on history channel.

As for me, the movie met my expectations. It was enjoyable and entertaining from start to finish. A masterpiece it is not, but if you come expecting a fun ride you'll leave pleased.

Some Pro's of the movie has to be Gerard Butler's battle cries. They sound so bad ass I shed tears of awe. The Immortals were spiffy too.

This was pleasing movie, trust me, just try to enjoy it, and you will.
Generalissimo D 03-14-2007 11:04 PM
What.
Mike 03-15-2007 01:18 AM
Funny thing, my half-Persian friend says this is the best movie ever made ever.
Nine Kuze 03-15-2007 03:58 PM
quote:
Funny thing, my half-Persian friend says this is the best movie ever made ever.

Funny thing is, it seems like your friend hasn't seen a lot of films then. :o

quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
Visually stunning, but this movie has caused quite an uproar in the Iranian community. Although their distress may be understandable to a degree, one needs to keep in mind it's just a movie, and on top of that it's based of a graphic novel by Frank Miller, accuracy is on the bottom of the priority list. If I wanted an accurate depiction I would much rather view a documentary on it on history channel.

If this is what D was talking about with his singular "What." post, then yeah I agree. What?

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
then I saw the trailer, and really when it got to the part with the giant troll looking thing I just decided "you know what, I've already seen the battle scenes from lord of the rings".

AHAHAHAHAHA!
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-15-2007 04:12 PM
quote:
this movie has caused quite an uproar in the Iranian community

I've only heard Iran...as in the actual nation of Iran, specifically by way of some spokesperson, is having issues with this.

Somehow I'm less than shocked. Maybe they'll put out a fatwa on Frank Miller, who knows.

Also yeah before I heard this was based on the comic book I just heard "movie about thermopalye" and figured it might be based off gates of fire or something. Then I heard it was based off 300 and not just called that...then I saw the trailer, and really when it got to the part with the giant troll looking thing I just decided "you know what, I've already seen the battle scenes from lord of the rings".
Mr. Peabody 03-15-2007 05:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
I've only heard Iran...as in the actual nation of Iran, specifically by way of some spokesperson, is having issues with this.
Somehow I'm less than shocked. Maybe they'll put out a fatwa on Frank Miller, who knows.

I saw on the cable news this afternoon, that several Iranian politicians and newspapers are in an uproar over the film, and saying it puts them in a bad light.

Boo hoo. Crying

300 is a graphic novel, but it's based on historical events. The Persian Empire did invade Greece. They threatened Athens and Sparta would be burned to the ground if they didn't pledge obedience. If Greece lost the war, Democracy, which was a being fostered in Athens, would have been crushed. The Persian Empire would then march into Europe. The world as we know it would've been drastically different.

The Iranian government is just upset to be reminded that they could have ruled the world.
Mike 03-15-2007 08:56 PM
Awesome movie. I think my chest got hairier just watching that.
Sharpshooter005 03-15-2007 09:00 PM
quote:

I probably wont see this until its on dvd, if then.

But they need to put this review on the posters. That will sell tickets.
Revan 03-22-2007 12:40 PM
I saw it today. At first I was worried it would be too fantastical, and I guess it was in places (i.e. the Immortals and the fat man with blades for arms), but it did it in a very good way, with a unique style and exciting battles.

8.5/10 from me. Cool
Hollow XXVI 03-22-2007 07:22 PM
Blades..as arms..what the hell...

Yeah, I'm not interested. For one, I don't like Frank Miller's stuff, for two it's got trolls and all this..excessive crazy crap, sounds like.

It's like when I was reading Kenshin, everything was pretty believable until A FREAKIN GIANT SHOWED UP, then it got slightly lame.
Volt 03-22-2007 09:13 PM
They followed a lot of the history, which was pretty cool. I don't know if y'all read Herodotus... but I distinctly remember reading about an orc and a battle rhino being in there.
Big Jauln 03-23-2007 06:08 PM
Though, I did not see it myslf, my friend saw it. He told me it was so sweet and awesome. And, although it was not fully historically correct, I bet it is still a good movie to learn about the Battle of Thermopylae.
Inigo Montoya 03-23-2007 06:23 PM
TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!

Sorry, actually we're going to Benetti's that new Italian place.

300, great movie. Weird. Sex scene had no place, but did it for me. That's all.
War.
Fujiko 03-24-2007 03:34 PM
quote:

I wonder what would be the female equivalent of that.
evanASF27 03-25-2007 02:25 AM
This movie....is seriously a good movie. I think everybody at college has seen it at least twice (seeing as how 1) it's a good movie, and 2) we're Spartans).

I'm amazed at how popular it's become and how fast too.
Larry99 03-25-2007 01:16 PM
Movie was great, some of the non action events had no place in the story, one word to describe=kewl, i hear that it is no good 2nd time, extra features on DVD will be kewl
THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Mr. Peabody 03-25-2007 06:08 PM
All of us in the theater thought the scene where Leonidas claimed he couldn't kneel before Xerxes because the day's fighting left him with a sore leg was hilarious. Laughing
Nine Kuze 03-25-2007 09:29 PM
...I have to be the only one who saw the movie and isn't falling over themselves to proclaim how kickass this is. It was straight pretty much.

My bad, is all.
Peace.
Fujiko 03-26-2007 04:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
...I have to be the only one who saw the movie and isn't falling over themselves to proclaim how kickass this is. It was straight pretty much.

My bad, is all.
Peace.

I dunno, I think you really had to be in the mood in order to consider this truly kick-ass. I had a midterm due the in the next week and had been working on it during the weekend. I was really in the mood to see flying limbs, action, and whatnot. In short, just to have a fun time without worrying about the flaws in a film.