Red Sox Officially Sign Daisuke Matsuzaka

Mr. Peabody 12-14-2006 09:43 PM
This afternoon The Boston Red Sox ended weeks of anticipation and creeping doubt by officially signing Japanese baseball star Daisuke Matsuzaka.

The star pitcher of the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka first came to the attention of American baseball fans with the controversial $51.1. million negotiating fee the Red Sox had to give the Lions just to talk with Matsuzaka's agents...whether he signed with the Red Sox or not.

As the negotiations neared the deadline (which was tomorrow) rumors spread in the Boston media that Matsuzaka wouldn't be signing with the Red Sox, but last night he flew into the Hub on Red Sox owner John Henry's personal jet for the team physical.

This afternoon Red Sox officials and their new pitcher held a press conference for the national and Japanese media. Matsuzaka has signed a six year deal at $52 million dollars. Now the debate in Red Sox Nation is whether or not he can handle the pressure that comes with playing for the Sox.
Pie_Junkie 12-14-2006 10:12 PM
Sweet. Hope he can handle it well. Red sox my team. (dem and the A's)
Nine Kuze 12-15-2006 12:06 PM
I heard about the news myself, but you know man, I DO have a general sports thread in the Speakeasy. http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thread.php?threadid=12832

I'm just saying... But I'm interested to see how he does and how he play in the MLB nonetheless.
Peace.
David Ryder 12-17-2006 12:43 AM
Yeah, Nine has a thread for just such info. As for the actual new, cool I guess.
X Prime 12-17-2006 02:03 AM
Waste of money. Every cent of it should have been given to me.

I mean, I contribute more to society by BREATHING in a ratio comparison.
Nine Kuze 12-17-2006 02:07 AM
But X, the $103 million was given in the aspect of playing baseball.

I'm not sure how your pitching arm is these days, but yeah.
Peace.
X Prime 12-17-2006 02:11 AM
The appropriate salary for such things is at best $34,000 a year,a nd I'm being EXTREMELY generous. It is disgusting and contemptible that college professors for example are paid less, and any attempt to justify it is a joke.
Nine Kuze 12-17-2006 02:23 AM
No, I agree with you that sports figures are paid way too much money when in hindsight, people who teach and other quality aspects around that nature are given the short end of the stick (like my parents, who are both teachers).

Also crazy how much they had to pay just to talk to him in contract talks alone. Even if he said no to the Red Sox, he and his original club would have walked away with a cool $51 mil. That's kind of a waste in my book. Well, I hope he shows that he's at least worth it here in the Majors.
Peace.
X Prime 12-17-2006 02:25 AM
NOTHING he could ever do in baseball would make him worth that much. I've already set his maximum reasonable salary for his societal contribution, he'd have to work a couple hundred years to get that kind of money.
Nine Kuze 12-17-2006 02:32 AM
I'm sorry, I meant worth as in "worth all this attention" and not so much in the exact figures of the money that has been involved in his signing. I agree with the money thing, that's just too damn much. Especially for someone who hasn't played here yet.

There's also guys like A-Rod and hell, even Shaq who for the longest time now, doesn't even cash in his NBA checks (he's getting like $20 million a year at the moment). I know a lot of people who can do a hell of a lot with 20 million and not just have it lying around the house doing nothing, myself included.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 01-27-2007 06:29 AM
quote:
It is disgusting and contemptible that college professors for example are paid less,

Except this one guy I once had, who should have been paid by way of a tip jar on his desk.

(The jar would also be taxed.)