Ok it does that. and now it does this too. and more!

NVWC2006 12-11-2006 03:56 PM
I don't know about the 360, but both the Wii and the PS3 are set up to automatically download firmware updates as time goes on.

I'm planning on getting a Wii so I've been paying more attention. Let's see if I can get this together right.

-It debuted being able to play Wii and GCN discs and created Mii-avatars.
-A firmware upgrade enabled the Shopping Channel so that one can purchase games from older systems, along the lines of an NES game being $5, and a N64 game being $10.
-Announced upgrades in the future include a Weather channel, an Associated Press news channel, and an internet channel (the Opera Browser).

I wouldn't be surprised-if anything, I'm hoping- that a future firmware update allows the use of USB hard drives and flash drives, as well as a media player for mp3s or another music file format.

I believe the PS3 comes with most of these updates already, minus the WiiShop Virtual Console and the usb-HD support.

In addition to sanctioned updates, people are already hard at work at hacking these machines to get more out of them. I've seen Wii hacks that replicate GCN ones, allowing burned GCN games to be played, new sensor bars being built (to use on screens where the sensor bar's wire cannot reach), and people attempting to transfer ROMs from their computers to their Wiis.

anyone else know other stuff going on, any new things coming up or advances already made?
Big Money 12-11-2006 04:04 PM
I've seen candles used instead of a sensor bar, and some goofy hax involving a DS and the bottom bit to ghetto-mod a USB drive.

As for updates, the Wii channel section business has two+ pages of channels that haven't been filled yet, so I'm guessing they have lots of stuff planned.
Mike 12-11-2006 06:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
I've seen candles used instead of a sensor bar, and some goofy hax involving a DS and the bottom bit to ghetto-mod a USB drive.

As for updates, the Wii channel section business has two+ pages of channels that haven't been filled yet, so I'm guessing they have lots of stuff planned.

You can use some of those screens to make shortcuts to the Virtual Console games you've downloaded, so that will use some of them up. And yeah, I believe that they will invent more channels.
NVWC2006 12-22-2006 09:27 PM
the sensor bar apparently simply has LEDs in it that allow the Wiimote to know where it is oriented in respect to the tv being used. anything that emits a similar light... candles, other LEDs, as long as the distance between them are the same as the two centermost LEDs on the sensor bar, can be used.

the Opera Browser has been released, as well as Weather Channel. Wii users can now surf the web, as well as check the weather around the world, if i understand correctly.

also, many hacks have been successful. the firmware of the Wiimote has been downloaded and worked with; there are now drivers for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows XP to use Bluetooth to connect with and use the Wiimote as a cursor. that to me is incredibly awesome, as well as quick. Nintendo will be selling Wiimotes to people who don't even have Wiis, just so they can use the control as a Mouse.

people are working to take advantage of a Wii's Opera Browser so that one can play their personal videos and music on their Wii via internet connection.

that's what i know, for the most part. i haven't researched PS3 because i don't plan to get one for myself.
Mike 12-23-2006 03:18 PM
I was playing Ocarina of Time before today, and it really made me realize how handy the Wiimote is. Going through menus and the item subscreen using the stick to choose things is so clunky now.