Paradigm City Geography

DRaasch 12-11-2006 01:29 PM
Has anybody ever come up with a theoretical MAP of Paradigm City?

I mean, I know that there are a lot of geographical references to New York. But I was curious as to where "Outside the Domes" and "Inside the Domes" might be ??

Having never been to New York, I'm just guessing at things.

I would like to come up with a theoretical map for use in a simple online game I've been working on. (Nothing with a big "wow" factor, just something I'm working on out of a love for Sci-Fi in general.)

Oh! And what direction was that desert that Schwarzvald went off into? Wasn't it to the south? (That would go a bit against Manhattan geography.)

Thanks!

-= Dave =-
Nine Kuze 12-11-2006 02:04 PM
Halo thur newbie.

I was looking around because there are numerous of threads on the subject and I was able to find this.

And Zopwx2 had a great comparison pic of both New York City and Paradigm City side by side. But alas, I can't find it (maybe he can hook it up myself later). Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

Also, welcome to the boards.
Peace.
Big Big Moon 12-11-2006 02:06 PM
Not sure where you got the "south" from, but Coney Island is indeed to the south of Manhattan and located on a coastline.

http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/coneyisl

Here's the Brooklyn Bridge, which is speculated to be the bridge Roger crosses over every once in a while on his way to the Domes (and the bridge in which Osrail makes his appearance):

http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/brooklyn_heights

Here's JFK Airport, a.k.a. JFK Mark. Right on the coast, as expected:

http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/jfk

This is a wild guess, but I'd estimate that the Domes envelop most of Manhattan Island. Look familiar?

EDIT: Excellent pic, Nine XXVI, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Also of special interest is Grand Central Station, which seems appropriately within walking distance of the coastline:

http://media.wwte.com/hotels/area_maps/us/nyc.gif
DRaasch 12-11-2006 06:15 PM
Thanks very much for the info!

But if anybody remembers what direction that desert lies in, please let me know.

Thanks again!

-= Dave =-
Zopwx2 12-11-2006 06:29 PM
Nine Kuze 12-12-2006 02:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Wasn't the desert near coney island?

Yeah, I think in the "Levithian" episode the famous theme park from CI was covered in sand.

Peace.
DRaasch 12-12-2006 06:04 AM
Well, then, most of Brooklyn must be a desert, because they sure made it look like an extensive region in that "Leviathan" episode! So, the coastline "came in" slightly at Paradigm City, so as to partially-submerge all of those buildings.... and yet just a few miles to the southeast, the coastline apparently "went out" (of course, I remember the sinking lighthouse and a ship in the sand from that same episode).

-= Dave =-
Revan 12-12-2006 08:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Wasn't the desert near coney island?

Yeah, I think in the "Levithian" episode the famous theme park from CI was covered in sand.

Yep, you see it in several pan shots when Schwarzwald does his speech, which makes for an incredibly well made scene that answers a few questions but asks many more...
(Much like the rest of Big O in general! Tongue )

A fitting match for Nine XXVI's picture. It even says 'Wheel'.
And for good measure the pan of the rest of the park...Eerie!

Xeon Negotiator 03-21-2007 07:14 PM
Hello all. I am saving this topic from the dead since I have a great amount on interest in a Paradigm Map. Before my long leave of absence from this forum, I was working on creating a 3d map of Paradigm (See image below, work in progress). I now am working on it again, but not living in or near NYC, I can’t get pictures of the city. So if anyone could be of assistance I would be grateful.

What I am looking for is pictures of buildings throughout the city, including bank that Roger is supposedly living in. I know there was a topic about that, but I can’t find it. If possible, include the address of the building(s) (I need address for the bank). Try not to go below 15th St, since that area does not exist in Paradigm. The pictures need to be at ground level and should show the building(s) architecture. (See Sample)

Once you have the picture just send them to my email. Thanks.
Capt. Quekolis 03-21-2007 07:27 PM
I was watching The Day After Tomorrow the other day. They showed the island. I was OMG its Paradigm city. I think it would be safe to say that Paradigm city is supposed to represent New York.
Big Jauln 03-22-2007 11:42 PM
Yep, Paradigm sure does match New York. Probably, the other other parts around Paradigm was to keep a difference between the 2.
Mike 03-22-2007 11:58 PM
They give you Roger's address at one (or maybe more than one) point in the series. Someone went there, and the building that's really there is really nothing like the one in the show.

It seems more like a film noir-like representation of 1940s new york. Not meant to be an exact one-to-one version of the city with domes stuck over it.
Xeon Negotiator 03-23-2007 12:36 AM
If I remember correctly, in the original post, that had photos, Roger's house was a composite of two banks within blocks of each other. I know the exact address of his house in the show, W 72ND St/Columbus Ave, but I was hoping for the real banks addresses.

I am not looking for photos of new buildings, but Gotham era buildings which NYC has tons of. That way I get the true noir-like feeling.
Tony Ventresca 04-16-2007 08:16 AM
Also keep in mind that large portions of Paradigm City seem to be underwater, which would make the geography more complex. It is a fictional city, sort of like Gotham and Metropolis (and Central City) from DC Comics, so real-world comparisons are always tricky. But the overwhelming size and variety of NYC certainly makes a nice parallel to Roger's stomping grounds. Perhaps someone can find a post-climate change image of NYC which is partially flooded; that would be close, I think, to Paradigm City.

This discussion reminds me of Ghormenghast, which was a fictional castle and the setting (and focus) of Mervyn Peake's novels. When the BBC adaptation was prepared, one designer drew up a map of the castle, based on descriptions in the books, and found it to be roughly equivalent in size to Greater London!

TV
Tony Ventresca 05-08-2007 09:09 AM
Here's what I meant by a post-global warming flooded NYC looking quite different than today, and (I submit) a lot like Paradigm City.

TV
Larry99 05-08-2007 07:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Ventresca
Here's what I meant by a post-global warming flooded NYC looking quite different than today, and (I submit) a lot like Paradigm City.

TV

Where did you get this picture? I looks good, is it a real flood map? I say the island looks exactly like Paradigm.
Capt. Quekolis 05-09-2007 08:07 PM
WOW its like looking at an arial sweep of Paradigm
Tony Ventresca 05-10-2007 01:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry99Where did you get this picture? I looks good, is it a real flood map? I say the island looks exactly like Paradigm.

Found a link to it here.

TV