what i hate about manga-based anime?

minespatch 11-21-2006 04:43 PM
filler episodes.
Scourge 11-21-2006 04:48 PM
Ok...
Nine Kuze 11-21-2006 04:50 PM
Good thing some anime along the lines of something like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop have nothing nowhere near things like filler episodes...

...oh, wait a tick. In a shocking twist, they do as well.

Maybe I'm not understanding the "direction" of wear this thread was suppose to go but all anime (hell, all series non-anime or not) have filler episodes. So I don't really get why this was made and I need to probably ask why it was in the first place as well.
Peace.
David Ryder 11-21-2006 06:01 PM
Seeing how CB has what 4-5 episodes actually dealing with Spike, Vicious and the Red Dragon, one could say that CB is indeed mostly filler, yeah I said it. Also this thread seems rather pointless.
Nine Kuze 11-21-2006 06:13 PM
Actually being a big Cowboy Bebop fan, I completely agree with you there Gaddes. But that seems to be Watanabe's thing, as he did the same thing with Samurai Champloo.

The thing is, he said "manga-based anime". Strictly implying that only anime based off of manga (for example's sake, FullMetal Alchemist, Hellsing, or Ghost in the Shell) has filter episodes, which is a horrible generalization.

quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
Also this thread seems rather pointless.

Quotin' this, if it wasn't obvious enough already.
Peace.
David Ryder 11-21-2006 06:44 PM
No I do agree that it is a awful generalization. The anime of Berserk for example has zero filler.
StevieV019 11-22-2006 09:40 AM
Sorry to disagree with the above Bebop posts...but I must. Cowboy Bebop isnt filler...even if the storyline between Spike, Vicious, Julia, and the Red Dragon Syndicate encompass only 5 episodes. In reality, the whole series delves into other themes and issues...and those are more important than just he 5 episodes surrounding Spike and Vicious. Look deeper into the series, and you can see consistent themes connecting each and every character regarding their past, present, and future...

As for rest of this thread...there's nothing really to it...so, in essence, isnt this a "filler" thread?? Just curious...
Nine Kuze 11-22-2006 09:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Sorry to disagree with the above Bebop posts...but I must. Cowboy Bebop isnt filler...even if the storyline between Spike, Vicious, Julia, and the Red Dragon Syndicate encompass only 5 episodes. In reality, the whole series delves into other themes and issues...and those are more important than just he 5 episodes surrounding Spike and Vicious. Look deeper into the series, and you can see consistent themes connecting each and every character regarding their past, present, and future...

As for rest of this thread...there's nothing really to it...so, in essence, isnt this a "filler" thread?? Just curious...

Oh snap, I see what you did there.

And you do raise an interesting point there, Stevie. Although, if you look at Cowboy Bebop at face value, it would infact appear to be nothing but filler since the main plot is assumed to be about Spike's past with Julia, Vicious, and the Red Dragon.

But, and like you said Stevie, if you look beyond what's actully in front of you and look at Bebop more fully, you will see that basically all the episodes have the same theme and notion; confronting and dealing with your past and finding your identity. And for the most part, that's what Cowboy Bebop is about. A number of the episodes just have the justified outside look of being a filler episode.
Peace.
dominusofdeath 11-22-2006 09:57 AM
Yeah BeBop was about Spike, Ed, Faye and Jet. The SPike stuff was the backstory.
David Ryder 11-22-2006 06:04 PM
No I see what your saying. I never watch Bebop more than once, never got into as I found it to be overrated, much like anything watanabe does.
Hollow XXVI 11-23-2006 04:17 AM
Yeah I hate filler too.

Your point?
Sharpshooter005 11-23-2006 04:27 AM
This thread is now a clip show
Nine Kuze 11-23-2006 03:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
This thread is now a clip show

It has become what it hates most...

...filler.
Peace.
minespatch 11-23-2006 04:11 PM
i just wanted to write this board because i saw a episode of mar were they added a character that was not originally in the manga. i have the whole american translated book series and still i'm just angry about how they added a extra character.

p.s. cowboy bebop is a anime series, not a manga-based series. the manga came after.
Nine Kuze 11-23-2006 04:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch
p.s. cowboy bebop is a anime series, not a manga-based series. the manga came after.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make in contrast to your own. Bebop has filler episodes but is not based off a manga, beating your own point of bringing the assumption that manga-based anime have filler episodes only.
Peace.
David Ryder 11-23-2006 07:03 PM
Anime based on long running manga, either add or take out characters all the time, such as Berserk, where they took out Silat, Wyald, and the Skullknight among others to make it a stand alone show.