Older anime fans

Shady Dark Lady 11-19-2006 07:42 PM
I was curious if there are any anime fans here that are 25 or older..I'm 35, and I grew up watching anime. It seems most boards I go on, the majority of people are under 18. Not to offend anyone, but I tried to post messages on 3 different Naruto boards, and all I got were 14/15 year old boys trying to hit on me Shocked ! I remember there were some older anime fans here, and one of the reasons I liked it here was the fact that the younger fans NEVER pm'd me with that sort of thing.
It sucks when you have friends who aren't into anime, and you just want to burst because you want to discuss anime/manga with someone! My husband now reads Bleach, so that's at least one person I can discuss anime with. There used to be a thread for us older people, but I can't seem to find it.
Mr. Fortnight 11-20-2006 08:32 AM
If it helps, I'm 29 going on 30. I've been a fan for well about 10-15 years.
Sharpshooter005 11-20-2006 08:47 AM
quote:
I tried to post messages on 3 different Naruto boards, and all I got were 14/15 year old boys trying to hit on me

Well..naruto fans seemingly are all seemingly just stuck at fifteen mentally, regardless of biological age.

(I'm not even 20 to answer the question, sorry..if its any consolation I hate children and indeed, to a large degree, the idea of being young)

edit: I'm also an incredibly cynical and disassociated anime fan, as in I ABSOLUTELY HATE the fanatical "ZOMG KAWAII ^_^" japanophile ones, I loathe them with the heat of a million suns, so...I guess that helps my case somewhat.
Wingnut 11-20-2006 02:45 PM
That previous thread was for an older age than what you listed I believe.
Me, I will be 25 in Febuary and I have been into anime for about 9 years now. A lady friend first introduced me to Sailor Moon as my introduction to the animation form and a couple years later Gundam Wing hit the air and by then I was a certified fan.
David Ryder 11-20-2006 02:50 PM
quote:
Well..naruto fans seemingly are all seemingly just stuck at fifteen mentally, regardless of biological age.

Good thing I'm not the only one how noticed this.

I'm 23, but I'm not the "ZOMG ^_____^ Japan > than anything!!!1" type of anime fan.
Shady Dark Lady 11-20-2006 07:57 PM
Now I feel so much better! I don't mind younger anime fans, I just don't like the ones who are immature or ask crude questions because you are a female. Also, there seems to be certain anime (Inuyasha/Naruto) that attracts overly obsessive fans. I think you all know the ones I mean.
They can't take a joke, they are the biggest fanboy/girl of some character, and god forbid ANYONE either spoofs or doesn't like their character. It's enough to make me ashamed for the fandom! I love Inuyasha and Naruto, and I think many of the spoofs are VERY funny, even when they make fun of characters I like!
The only bad thing is, if I mention I like either anime, sometimes people look at you like you are one of the rabid fans..then I have to explain that I'm NOT like that...It's so sad. Sorry for the long post!
David Ryder 11-20-2006 08:33 PM
The reason why shows like Bleach/InuYasha/Naruto/etc. have so many hardcore over zealous fans in the 13-15 age group, is those type of shows are marketed to them and designed to appeal to them and the rabid fanboys/girls deal is just as bad in japan, although alot of the japanophiles will say it's not.
Hollow XXVI 11-20-2006 09:24 PM
You're a female, on the internet.

You enter a forum dominated by guys.

You will get assaulted with questions and odd PMs.

It's the internet.
Pie_Junkie 11-20-2006 09:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
You're a female, on the internet.

You enter a forum dominated by guys.

You will get assaulted with questions and odd PMs.

It's the internet.

I'm agreeing wit' Hollow. Same thign happens to me if I go in a forum filled wit' girls.
Nine Kuze 11-21-2006 07:17 AM
They're just "curious" is all...
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 11-21-2006 12:10 PM
I remember for a while I was trying to introduce "hell is other anime fans" as some sort of catchphrase to be used in situations like this.

I shouldn't have forgotten it so quickly, it's pretty apt
Shady Dark Lady 11-21-2006 05:29 PM
Yeah, but you'd think that my age, my profile where it says I'm married with 2 kids, would kind of discourage that kind of thing..hell I play Warcrack and only had one idiot like that! Oh well..I guess it is to be expected. It's just strange when everyone else on the board is below 18. At least here I don't have to worry about everyone being that young. I don't want to be that creepy older person who mostly talks to kids! Shocked
StevieV019 11-22-2006 10:18 AM
Being that Im 27, I guess you could say Im from the older crowd. But Ill be honest, Ive gotten extremely frustrated with the selection of new stuff in anime. Only 5 or 6 titles have actually caught my interest, and as such, my interest has waned substantially. I still keep an eye on things to see what is new and what will pique my interest though. The few things that have though, still keep me somewhat interested...
Old1 12-09-2006 04:17 PM
Well, even though my S/N indicates otherwise, I'm really 32. Helpful to hints to others is to not make a S/N at 4:00am while drunk... Tongue
Anywho, I've only really been into anime for the past 4 or so years, and the [AS] debut of BigO! is what got me hook-line-and sinker. But I think I know how you feel. I've been a member on a great many forums, the most prodominant one being [Adult Swim]. But because as you pointed out, so many of the users on anime discussion forums are seemingly 15 year old fan boy/girl otaku's, there's no real or intelligent conversation. It's all vapid mindless prattle such as "OMG HE'S SO HAWT!!!!1~!!" and the like... And after a while it does get so tiresome, not having anyone really to converse with about your favourite anime/manga, in either life or the interweb. Hell, that's why I stopped positng in forums all-together for so long, and just watched and read, hoping for something inteligent from a fan of similar interests to pop-up. Sadly, there've been few to nil of those...
But back to anime, I've been severaly disapointed in what I've seen and read coming out recently, as so much of it, is well, just so terribly juvenile. "Like so totally lame" would be another way to say it, borrowing from my generation.lol. I'm not certain if you're aware of it, but "Ah! My Goddess" is so far the only recent anime to pique my curiousity enough to actually **gasp** BUY IT! **end gasp** (though uTorrent is still wonderful for those still unlicenced eps...), and I've even read through EVERY listing of anime titles and descriptions on Wikipedia looking for good new recent anime. Again very few to nil of those show up, and it's back to the good older ones, such as BGC:2040, Ranma, or Hellsing for me... Oh well.
If you actually bother reading this, thanks.
Hollow XXVI 12-09-2006 06:10 PM
I thought I liked anime, but my friend told me about manga.

Now I realized I hate most anime and don't really like most manga, but manga's always better. I am part of the "older" crowd, but I've acted like this since I was 14 so...lawlz.

But that's the problem, anime is catered to children, at least most of it. And if not children..at least towards teenagers. So I can see why I bore of it so easily. I don't care who's dating who, I want to see some heads chopped off.

..it's why I read Berserk.
StevieV019 12-09-2006 10:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
But that's the problem, anime is catered to children, at least most of it. And if not children..at least towards teenagers.

Wow...thats debatable...anyone care to dive into it?
David Ryder 12-10-2006 07:17 AM
quote:
..it's why I read Berserk.

Win. I agree. Most manga, and in turn anime are pretty weak these days, one can only do the harem set up so many times these days. And yeah Berserk, pretty much owns anything out there today.
Hollow XXVI 12-10-2006 07:47 PM
And Berserk is certainly catered to the "older" crowd. So yes, win. Smile
Shady Dark Lady 12-14-2006 06:14 PM
Don't forget Hellsing..it is NOT for children. It's just a shame there is so much anime/manga that is probably geared toward the older crowd, but we will most likely never see it. I am TRYING to learn to read/write Japanese, through those Kana de Manga/Kanji de manga books. It is just as hard as I feared it would be, but I'm still trying. I still enjoy Naruto, Bleach, and now I'm fascinated by Azumanga Daioh, but yeah, I wish it was easier and cheaper to get anime/manga. I try NOT to buy any series until I know how it ends. I was dissapointed that Trigun killed off my favourite character, and I didn't like how Wolf's Rain ended, so now I am much more careful.
One of the reasons I like this forum, was because everyone was pretty much respectful of each other and intelligent. It is nice to come back here and find that to still be trueSmile
Pie_Junkie 12-14-2006 06:32 PM
Screw you and your older crowd! I read and own (1-6) Berserk. Okay, had to say it.