Older anime fans

Sharpshooter005 12-15-2006 04:12 AM
Berserk is the one where the guy as some huge sword right? I've heard alot of good things about it but never really watched it.

Or is this one of those "the mangas what everyone was raving about, the actual series sucks' kind of things. Which I've noticed...seems to happen a fair amount, hellsing being the only example where the series didn't turn me off so much that I also had no interest in finding the manga. The original run of episodes (specifically the last...3 or 4, thankfully it was only like 12 episodes so it didn't get to drag on with the inanity) sucked compared to the manga. Even the good ones paled in comparison for the most part
Hollow XXVI 12-15-2006 05:27 PM
Sharpie...yes, Guts has a huge sword. He's also got this great sense of humor, and no I don't mean "hee hee sweatdrops abound I fell over and got a nosebleed" thing.

The anime is pretty good, but it ends at the eclipse..which doesn't really detail the story too much. But you can go watch it on YouTube. Lawlz.

But yeah, there's heads being stepped on by horses and arms getting chopped off and rape and torture. Knights and demons. All in good fun.
Crossover Yuusha Godaiger 12-27-2006 01:43 PM
I'm 25 and I've been an anime fan for a long time. Since i was a kid 12 or less, I used to watch arabic dub animes like crazy Ah those were the days good arabic dubbing, and less edits.

My first anime was Go Nagai's UFO Robot Grendizer which is still considered the greatest anime to ever air in Arabic (and it had the best arabic dub too). Since then i was crazy about any animes involving Giant Robots whether Super (Mazinger Z), Real (Gundam) or Hybrid (EVA). I like animes with good plots and i don't care about the designs or how ancient it is (I dig old school) I rather watch Cyborg 009 over DBZ.

My favorite animes are the movies by Hayoa Miyazaki. My favorite male character Himura Kenshin, my favorite female character Oscar (Rose of Versialles).

However I'm not one of those anime fans who would come to Comic-Cons every year and do cosplay and unike many anime fans (not all of course) I like american cartoons along with european cartoons as well heck i found a number that were better than several anime titles like ExoSquad awesome cartoon, the proclaimed "American Anime" that doesn't use any anime art or style. And I'm getting sick of non-japanese cartoons using anime style like Totally Spies (That show sucks) but not all are bad Avatar is quite a cool show and i like reading W.I.T.C.H. it depends if they do it right and many don't.
Sharpshooter005 12-27-2006 02:48 PM
quote:
ExoSquad

ExoSquad is one of the few things I remember from childhood which I'm pretty sure would still be sort of awesome now.

Nostalgia aside you have to appreciate a kid's cartoon where they kill off major characters, and its not like "No he's unconcious/in another dimension" it's just "Dead as a doornail"

quote:
But you can go watch it on YouTube. Lawlz.

So...decapitations, but moreover, free viewing of said decapitations?

Oh yes, yes I like this.
Crossover Yuusha Godaiger 12-27-2006 04:24 PM
quote:
Nostalgia aside you have to appreciate a kid's cartoon where they kill off major characters, and its not like "No he's unconcious/in another dimension" it's just "Dead as a doornail"

Yep, thats what made anime grow on me, because it wasn't afraid of killing off characters. American comics used to do that in the 70's (anyone remember Gwen Stacy?) it was their animated adaptations that didn't.
Nine Kuze 12-27-2006 04:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bennu
American comics used to do that in the 70's (anyone remember Gwen Stacy?) it was their animated adaptations that didn't.

Yeah, didn't she die off panel by falling off the George Washington Bridge and snapping her neck on the way down or some noise like that? Just hope they don't pull something off like that in the next Spider-Man movie coming up.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 12-27-2006 11:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Just hope they don't pull something off like that in the next Spider-Man movie coming up.

More like "eviscerated by Venom, who then consumes the intestines."

(What, if they're going to put venom into a movie then something like this MUST happen)
David Ryder 12-29-2006 01:56 AM
quote:
I've heard alot of good things about it

Yeah Berserk is a great show/Manga. The thing I like about Berserk is that it avoids the typical anime/manga cliches' such as, Nose bleed to falling over, and the Sweat drop thingy.

The anime is ok, but nothing to write home about. The manga on the other hand is amazing. I would try it out, it's great.
Sharpshooter005 12-29-2006 01:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
Nose bleed to falling over, and the Sweat drop thingy.

Theres absolutely no way those are effective sight gags, I'm convinced Japan is trying to pull one over on us by making us think that passes for humor over there.

It's all some weird and elaborate prank
Nine Kuze 12-29-2006 02:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
Nose bleed to falling over, and the Sweat drop thingy.

Theres absolutely no way those are effective sight gags, I'm convinced Japan is trying to pull one over on us by making us think that passes for humor over there.

It's all some weird and elaborate prank

*sweatdrop, followed by nose bleed and falling over with legs twitching in the air*
Peace.