Red Steel opinion poll.

paul1290 11-14-2006 02:13 PM
Out of all the titles that will be launching with the Wii, few have had as many extreme ups and downs during their development as Red Steel. After an absolutely horrible E3 showing, it has gone through more revisions and changes than I can bother to remember. Except for the few game critics currently reviewing it, nobody really knows how this game will turn out at launch date. Its success will depend on whether or not Ubisoft was able to finish all their last minute changes to the final build.

Current Reviews:
Ngamer UK: 9/10
eToychest: 7.8/10
Nintendo Power: 8/10
Gamespot: 5.5/10
Gametrailers.com: 7.8/10
1up.com: 5/10
Computer & Video Games: 8/10
UnderGroundOnline: 8/10
IGN: 6/10
IGN UK: 8/10

Current average: 7.31/10
(There is no consistency between these scores at all. Were they playing completely different versions or something?)

Current user average from gamerankings.com: 8.1/10

The latest videos from IGN should be fairly close to the final version.
(click on the ones that say "direct feed")
Note that I said "should". As with any Red Steel related video, there's a good chance they might be out of date and they might not accurately represent the latest version.
David Ryder 11-14-2006 03:22 PM
I don't really care if it bombs or if it does well. It seems like another run o the mill FPS, except for the "ZOMG!!11 you can use a sword AND a gun!" that everyone is going on about.
Seihou 11-14-2006 10:10 PM
Well, the company behind Beyond Good & Evil (Ubisoft) is behind this one, so I'm expecting that it'll be good.
Sharpshooter005 11-14-2006 10:12 PM
I'm not even sure how this would be controlled in terms of movement, first person games played with controllers (in my experience) are always wildly unwieldy when it comes to that.

If they can pull off moving two weapons simultaniously (that is one of the things they're advertising this as being able to do right? I could swear I heard that somewhere), and having at least somewhat smooth movement/aiming my jaw will probably shatter from the velocity at which it drops.
paul1290 11-16-2006 02:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
I'm not even sure how this would be controlled in terms of movement, first person games played with controllers (in my experience) are always wildly unwieldy when it comes to that.

If they can pull off moving two weapons simultaniously (that is one of the things they're advertising this as being able to do right? I could swear I heard that somewhere), and having at least somewhat smooth movement/aiming my jaw will probably shatter from the velocity at which it drops.

You can't use two guns at the same time, but the game does allow for dual swords.
(a katana for the right hand and a tanto for the left)

The tanto is controlled by the accelerometer in the nunchuk attachment. It doesn't have as many moves, but it doesn't matter much because it's intended to be used for blocking and smaller strikes. Most of the attacking will be done with the katana.
(for those of you who don't know, the nunchuk is the attachment with the control stick)

Most of the people who tried it have said it does have very smooth aiming. About the only complaint most people have is that the turning speed may be a bit slow. However, once you can see the enemy on screen all you have to do is simply point and shoot.

I found the controls posted on the Gamespot Forums:

Interface–––––––––––––––––

Objectives Reminder: - Button (aka Minus Button)

Pause Menu: + Button (aka Plus Button)

Moving–––––––––––––––––

Move: Control Stick

Jump: C Button

Crouch: Z Button

Move Table To Take Cover: Stand close to the table until the pointer changes to green action shape. Swing the Nunchuk up.

Open Door: Stand in front of the door until pointer changes to action shape. Swing the Nunchuk down.

Pick Weapon Up: Step on weapon and swing the Nunchuk down.

Take Elevator/Activate Switch: Stand in front of the elevator until pointer changes to action shape. Swing the Nunchuk up and down.

Pick Up Ammunition/Grenade: Walk above object (this is automatic).

Say Yes or No: Use the Wii Remote to move the cursor up and down or left and right.

Shooting–––––––––––––––––

Target Enemy: Point at the enemy with the Wii Remote.

Shoot: B Button

Reload Weapon: Swing the Nunchuk down or press Right on the
+ Control Pad.

Change Weapon: Press Left on the + Control Pad. (You can keep up to 2 weapons).

Lock Enemy: Press and hold the A Button. If you are pointing at an enemy, he will be locked automatically. If not, wait until the enemy appears, then target with the Wii Remote to lock.

Zoom On Locked Enemy: Hold the A Button and move the Wii Remote forward.

Enter Focus Time Mode: To stop the game and tag your enemy, press the A Button and move the Wii Remote forward quickly. Or, hold the A Button and press the C Button.

Shoot Enemy In Time Focus Mode: In Focus Time mode, tag the enemy by pressing the B Button.

Take Grenade: Press and hold Down on the + Control Pad to select grenade.

Launch Grenade: Press and hold Down on the + Control Pad to select grenade, then swing the Nunchuk down to launch. Or, press the B Button (when in Grenade Mode).

Roll Grenade: To select, press and hold Down on the + Control Pad, then swing the Nunchuk up to roll grenade on the ground.

Sword-Fighting–––––––––––––––––

Attack: Swing the Wii Remote (for better motion-detection, hold the Wii Remote horizontally).

Block Attack: Swing the Nunchuk left or right.

Dodge: Move the Control Stick left or right to move, then press the C Button.

Tanto Attack: Swing the Nunchuk (when close to an enemy).

Hammer Attack: Press and hold the Z Button and swing the Wii Remove and Nunchuk down at the same time.

Little Scorpion Attack: Press and hold the Z Button and swing the Wii Remote and Nunchuk in opposite directions.

A lot of people got confused about the "lock-on" feature. The lock-on feature does not lock the aiming cursor on the enemy, it only keeps the selected enemy centered on the screen making it easier it side-step. You can still aim for individual body parts using the Wii-mote.
Revan 11-17-2006 08:47 AM
I read the NGamer review, summary of which said:

"Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come."

I still can't fully imagine how it is controlled but from what the review said, it does it all very well. The only downside is that there is no one-to-one direct control of swords, more like different remote movements trigger corresponding sword moves.
paul1290 11-18-2006 05:39 AM
Nintendo power gave it an 8.0/10, which really doesn't tell us anything new because it lines up with the current average.

Ouch Gamespot gave it a 5.5/10. Shocked

Come to think of it, Gamespot has been pretty harsh lately. They haven't given a single Wii game over a 9, and from what I can tell a lot of the PS3 crowd are not happy with them either.

I'll put it in the average for now, but if IGN scores it higher then I might kick it off the list since I usually eliminate the extreme highs and lows anyway.

Edit:
Apparently not everyone is happy with GameSpot's review of the game. The staff writer from ONM magazine even took the time to come to the GameSpot forums to disagree with their review.
(He provides proof that he is from ONM magazine in the 3rd page of the thread.)
The Baker St. Irregular 11-20-2006 12:22 PM
My sister and I got our Wii yesterday (after waiting ten hours in line), and the game she chose for herself was Red Steel. I hope for her sake that it is a good game, although neither of us will really know until Christmas, when we get our Wii back from our mom.

*throws head back and makes strange zombie expression*

In any case, I'm looking forward to the gameplay. As for the rest of it, the less I know, the better. I'll wait to decide for myself what I think about it.
Mike 12-01-2006 04:49 PM
Red Steel is actually pretty meh...The sword fights are really slow, and kind of pointless because the only time you swordfight is when a guy with a sword comes up to you, alone, and it takes a couple minutes to kill him.

The aiming is really slow, and kinda wonky, sometimes the remote will randomly shoot to the opposite side of the screen, or go left when I want to go right, which hasn't happened in any other games.

Overall it's a really cool concept, but the controls are really muddy and slow-to-react and it usually gets you killed.
David Ryder 12-01-2006 07:44 PM
I had a chance to play it at my local EB games. The concept is ok, but yeah the controls are pretty awful. The sword fights are also very easy. Block, attack, block, attack, block, repeat.

Also who really cares about Gamespot. I mean christ the only game ever to get a 10 is freakin' Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3.
paul1290 12-01-2006 07:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
The aiming is really slow, and kinda wonky, sometimes the remote will randomly shoot to the opposite side of the screen, or go left when I want to go right, which hasn't happened in any other games.

Some players jokingly refer to this as the "rubber band effect" and it's a common problem with Red Steel. However, it doesn't seem affect everyone and several players have gone through the game multiple times without ever seeing this problem at all.

If you do happen run into this problem, spending some time adjusting the controller settings supposedly helps a lot. It might be that Red Steel just doesn't handle errors in controller calibration as well as other wii games do.

I did some searching around and found that the following solutions have been known to work:
-adjusting the calibration of the wii control outside the game using the wii options.
-adjusting the sensitivity in-game.
-standing closer to the screen, it supposedly works best if you're within 8 feet of the tv screen.
-some players have said placing the sensor bar a bit ahead of the TV screen solved the problem for them.
-turning off the speaker in the wii-mote seems to help surprisingly well.

I haven't played the game myself yet so I'm 100% sure they work.
Generalissimo D 12-13-2006 07:17 PM
This game sucks. Rly. My friend tried all those suggestions and it still blew chunks.

Its only saving grace is Dino Boy.
Buck Buck #1 12-13-2006 10:20 PM
Red steel was the only game that has ever made me feel motion sickness while playing. The aiming is so hard to get used to.