Wii? Wiiiii!!

Seihou 11-13-2006 11:21 PM
Well, here's your chance to throw in your two cents on how the Wii will fare in the market. Go nuts.
David Ryder 11-14-2006 07:30 AM
I'm pretty sure it's going to do well. It will atleast beat 360, but not like that's hard to do.
Revan 11-14-2006 08:33 AM
It definately stands out from the rest, though it may not reach out to every category of gamers. It definitely won't flop, nintendo have put far too effort into it to let it slide into obscurity. If only I had a spare (insert price in £/$) I would get one straight away!
Mike 11-14-2006 10:31 AM
There certainly WAS a risk of it crashing, if the control ended up not working well. But all reports say that the controls are just phenomenal, so that's not going to happen.

I honestly think that PS3 isn't going to do as well as Sony hopes. It's ridiculously overpriced, and people seem to be sick of Sony's arrogance, just look at PSP.

I think the big competition will end up being between Wii and 360.

Wii is $250. I don't know how much that is in pounds, though.
X Prime 11-14-2006 12:32 PM
Arrogance has absolutely freaking NOTHING to do with the PSP being such a failure. Most consumers don't really care about a company's percieved 'arrogance'.

It has more to do with the PSP, y'know, sucking.
David Ryder 11-14-2006 12:34 PM
Alot of companys are arrogant. Also the PSP isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
Asirt 11-14-2006 02:38 PM
Both the PS3 and the Wii are expected to do very well this week, but its true test will come when all the consoles have a large number of games out during the next holiday season. We'll find out the results then. Honestly, I can't really say if the Wii will "win" or not. At this point, it is anybody's guess.

This will be a rather interesting "war" indeed.
Generalissimo D 11-14-2006 04:24 PM
My friend lent me a OPM mag on the bus ride home today.

An ad for the PS3 features a chess piece severed bloodily with the words "It's already devising ways to kill you" above it.

I think they should just place Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacer! everywhere.
Sharpshooter005 11-14-2006 06:33 PM
quote:
people seem to be sick of Sony's arrogance

Yeah thats really what gets my money, abstract conceps of a company's "personality"
David Ryder 11-14-2006 07:27 PM
quote:
It's ridiculously overpriced

As was the NeoGeo at about 400-800 bucks and like 230 bucks a pop for the games.

Regardless of the PS3's price, I have a feeling it's going to sell atleast decently.
Generalissimo D 11-14-2006 07:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
quote:
It's ridiculously overpriced

As was the NeoGeo at about 400-800 bucks and like 230 bucks a pop for the games.

Regardless of the PS3's price, I have a feeling it's going to sell atleast decently.

What was your point?
David Ryder 11-14-2006 07:56 PM
That the PS3 isn't the only system in the history of mankind to be over $500.
X Prime 11-14-2006 07:56 PM
It IS the only one of its kind with a major market appeal though.
Mike 11-14-2006 08:30 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, the Neo-Geo was 230 for A GAME? No wonder they sold like 100 of them.
Hollow XXVI 11-14-2006 08:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Yeah thats really what gets my money, abstract conceps of a company's "personality"

Sony fanboy.

Also the PSP sucks and its games suck. Woot Lemmings, woot MMX remake--HOMING MISSILE HOMING MISSILE HOMING MISSILE, Wario Ware ripoff, Ghouls N Ghosts looked pretty cool... But again, the PSP has nothing uniquely awesome it seems.
David Ryder 11-14-2006 08:43 PM
quote:
Whoa whoa whoa, the Neo-Geo was 230 for A GAME? No wonder they sold like 100 of them.

On average, yes, around 230-250 a game.

Also what sharp said means he's a Sony fanboy?
Buck Buck #1 11-14-2006 09:24 PM
The Wii won the grand award for the best of what's new in the home entertainment category in Popular Science.

I'm going to try to get one on Sunday. I really hope I can manage to get my hands on one.
Sharpshooter005 11-14-2006 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
quote:

On average, yes, around 230-250 a game.

Also what sharp said means he's a Sony fanboy?

Don't you get it yet? Unless you think the Wii is going to singlehandedly bring about a technological singularity you're just a "fanboy" who probably likes those evil western games (which can't even come close to approaching the depth and narrative brilliance of a plumber popping shrooms to jump on lizardmen, or a five millionth game about a spiky haired lad saving the world)

As for the psp. I'm so glad that apparently silent hill: origins is going to suck because now I dont have to buy a damn thing which works out well for me
Schwarzwald 11-16-2006 10:17 PM
I think it may come close to taking the lead over the PS3, because of the prices of everything(controllers, memory, games, and the system) in which the PS3 clearly has higher prices for all of those items.

I don't think it'll beat the 360 though. The 360 gives out the traditional progression of what is expected for any console. It has a good online system. It has HD-TV support. It is more powerful than the Wii. Its prices are reasonable. It just can appeal to the general gaming audience.

The Wii is targeting non-gamers now. It does appeal to gamers, but not neccisarily over the PS3 or Xbox 360. It however is very cheap and is as full of new ideas as the Dreamcast. I don't think they'll be able to capture a good portion of the non-gaming audience that they want. But I am confident they will get a good following of current and new gamers.

EDIT: Save the PSP debate for another thread. I'm all over that.