Myst Online: Uru Live!!! (December 2006)

paul1290 11-07-2006 03:00 PM
www.urulive.com

Well it took them long enough! Big Grin

Those of you who were expecting an online Myst game will finally get what you want. Cyan Worlds is bringing back the online multiplayer component of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst that was removed at the last minute. It will be available through both GameTap and the Uru Live website for $10 per month.

If your not sure whether or not the game will be worth the monthly fee, you will be able to join in as a "visitor" to try out the game before deciding whether or not to get the full version. "Visitors" will be given access to some of the areas in the game to get a feel for both the game and it's community. If you like what you see, you will be able to sign up join in as an "explorer" for $10 a month to gain access to all game areas and features.

If you want, you can visit the website right now and sign up for Uru Live's Beta testing.

quote:
Inevitable response:
$10 a month!!! Cyan Worlds is becoming as greedy as those guys who run World of Warcraft!!!

No. Uru Live is not an MMORPG, it's a online multiplayer adventure/puzzle game. As such it has no leveling up or fighting at all, it is completely dependent on new material to stay interesting. In short, Uru Live is the closest thing to an endless Myst game. It will be a lot like buying your Myst games in a constant stream instead of buying them in boxes every few years. The money is needed for creating new worlds, improving existing worlds, and buying storage space for the growing selection of new worlds.
Pie_Junkie 11-07-2006 08:19 PM
Yes! A good thing in my day. I loved the Myst games.
Mike 11-07-2006 09:18 PM
I hated Myst, it made my eyes bleed. Plus when I played it I was already sick and it made me feel worse.
Buck Buck #1 11-07-2006 10:27 PM
When I played Myst,I was like 8, or something, so I didn't really "get" it.
Sharpshooter005 11-07-2006 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
In short, Uru Live is the closest thing to an endless Myst game. It will be a lot like buying your Myst games in a constant stream

How's this work exactly, once you get past a certain number of puzzles does it randomly generate them (if so I'd love to know how that one works) or are you pretty much stuck until an expansion is made?

And theres probably 80 other logistical questions I could come up with, the concept behind this always seemed good in theory but sort of flimsy from a practical standpoint ever since I first heard of it.
David Ryder 11-08-2006 12:42 PM
I hated Myth as well. And I just don't see an online one working out.
paul1290 11-08-2006 03:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
In short, Uru Live is the closest thing to an endless Myst game. It will be a lot like buying your Myst games in a constant stream

How's this work exactly, once you get past a certain number of puzzles does it randomly generate them (if so I'd love to know how that one works) or are you pretty much stuck until an expansion is made?

Cyan Worlds staff will be constantly adding new worlds while updating existing ones. Existing puzzles will be changed on a regular basis to keep things interesting between expansions. However, these changes will not be randomly generated, they will be done by Cyan Worlds employees. Keep in mind this game will be played almost entirely online, so small updates probably won't need long download times. Also, since this is an online multi-player game, there will be several puzzles that will require multiple people to solve, which should keep you occupied even if you get past all the single player puzzles.

Also, I've heard rumors that players with enough know-how will be able create their own worlds, but whether or not this feature will be implamented in the final version remains to be seen.

You are probably not alone if you have many questions on how this will work. Like I said before, most online games have some sort of built in mechanism for extending replay value, such as leveling up or fighting. An online Myst game poses an unique challenge in the fact that Myst material normally has no replay value to speak of. The success of Uru Live will be almost entirely depend on Cyan World's ability to keep up a consistent stream of new content.

quote:
I hated Myst, it made my eyes bleed. Plus when I played it I was already sick and it made me feel worse.

quote:
I hated Myth as well. And I just don't see an online one working out.

Myst is a series that was made with a very specific audience in mind. It's mainly for people who like creative 3D art and puzzles. It's not surprising that not everyone likes it. Most fans of action games find the Myst series rather boring.

However, if you've only played the first Myst and didn't like it then I still think you should at least try Uru Live. The Myst series has already evolved to the point where the first game is often considered a weak point in the series. Although the gameplay still focuses on exploration and puzzles, Myst is no longer the "point-and-click-slideshow" it used to be.