The Death Sentence of Saddam Hussein

Nine Kuze 11-06-2006 03:58 AM
Around yesterday Sunday, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was sentenced to death (by hanging) along with his half-brother, the head of the Iraqi Revolutionary Court and others for crimes against humanity.

While the majority of the people of Iraq are celebrating the sentence of death on Hussein, on the other side, there seem to be others (like from Hussein's hometown of Tikrit) protesting and some feel that when his sentence is carried out, Hussein will have become a martyr to the eyes of some.

So ol' boy got the death sentence and he also said that "His message to the Iraqi people was 'pardon and do not take revenge on the invading nations and their people'," Here's an article (and its from MSNBC, just to let you know ahead to time)

So, anybody have any thoughts or feelings about this?
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 11-06-2006 04:05 AM
quote:
"His message to the Iraqi people was 'pardon and do not take revenge on the invading nations and their people'," al-Dulaimi said, quoting Saddam.

Tactic for the appeals process. They're probably banking on the kinder, gentler saddam scoring more points rather than the "I'M STILL PRESIDENT GUYS YOU HAVE TO STILL REFER TO ME AS PRESIDENT OF IRAQ" Saddam from earlier in the trial.

edit: So the big question now is....dead within a year from execution, life sentence from a win in the appeals, or he pulls a milosovic and draws the appeals out long enough for nature to take its course. Theres no pressing medical issues with him that I aware of, but he is looking at 70. So depending on just how broken the appeals process winds up being it could still happen.
David Ryder 11-06-2006 04:12 AM
Well atleast the trial is over, as it took them a good deal of time to reach the obvious decision.
Generalissimo D 11-06-2006 07:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
Well atleast the trial is over, as it took them a good deal of time to reach the obvious decision.

It's that martyr thing everyone's worried about.
evanASF27 11-06-2006 01:51 PM
Burn him to ash.
The Question 11-06-2006 02:05 PM
He made a complete idiot of himself in the trial. He was acting like a bratty child. Good riddance to the bastard
Valdoom 11-06-2006 03:17 PM
It's abouit time...It's been like what 2 years now?
Sharpshooter005 11-06-2006 03:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sparda
He made a complete idiot of himself in the trial. He was acting like a bratty child. Good riddance to the bastard

This is pretty much every war crimes trial that has or ever will take place. I keep waiting for a bunch of clowns to leap out of a little car thats how much of a circus these always turn into

quote:
whole mess that lasted longer that WWII.

Iraq, (or the current operation Iraqi Freedom, I dont know if you're also counting desert storm here, combined thats still..under 4 years in total): March 2003 to now. 3 years

WW2: September 1, 1939 - August 14, 1945 (V-J day, V-E day was earlier. And even then you still had pockets of Japanese in China who surrendered within a month). 6 years

So not really no.

quote:
Hang him.

Thats apparently where they're going with this, yeah.
Chitter-Box-Kat 11-06-2006 03:19 PM
Burn him. Hang him. JUST KILL THE BASTARD! He started this whole mess that lasted longer that WWII.

That's how I feel about Saddam. What's next is how I feeel about the situation at hand.

I am a bit worried about the martyr thing. If people see him as someone who died for a noble cause, they might see him as an examplle to follow in the future. . . It's seeming to be one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of things.
Mike 11-06-2006 04:12 PM
I'd doubt anyone would see Saddam as a martyr. He's just an asshole.

Although we did support him during the Iran-Iraq war in the 80s.....nevermind.
NVWC2006 11-06-2006 10:15 PM
bye bye, dottie.

and good ridence.
Sharpshooter005 11-06-2006 10:41 PM

(relevant)

PS: So, any bets on how speedy the appeals process will be? Unless the insurgents manage to begin wiping out court officials left and right it seems like it may actually work correctly
Hienrich Ele 11-07-2006 03:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

(relevant)

Please do not take this the wrong way, but make love to me. Please.

Seriously, that is awesome.

Oh, and Saddam getting hung is OK, I guess. I mean, I wanted him hooked up to an IV pumping pig's blood into him, but I guess hanging is ok. I guess...
Chitter-Box-Kat 11-07-2006 07:40 AM
KAWAII!! Adorable and accurate. Big Grin

I don't know much of sh*t when it comes to stuff like court casses and politics. So, anyone's guess is better than mine. I just hope it doesn't take to long to send the bastard to hell.
Mr. Fortnight 11-09-2006 12:11 AM
I would preferribly like to see Saddam gassed with the same gas he used on the Kurds.

I won't miss him.
The Question 11-09-2006 06:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I'd doubt anyone would see Saddam as a martyr. He's just an asshole.

Some people can make a martyr out of anyone.