Internet Explorer 7 released.

X Prime 11-04-2006 05:08 PM
If for some freak reason I cannot fathom you aren't using Opera and insist on using IE (...whyyyyyy), IE7 can now be gotten from Windows Update.
Generalissimo D 11-04-2006 05:35 PM
Go-Go-Tricked out Firefox!
Nine Kuze 11-04-2006 05:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
Go-Go-Tricked out Firefox!

Quoting this because that's what I use as well.

Although I use IE from time to time also.
Peace.
NVWC2006 11-04-2006 06:07 PM
the main, if only reasons i use IE, is that many times websites only appear correctly when using IE (for example, Outlook Web Access, and then there's Windows Update), and that users who don't know about Firefox or Opera use it often, and you have to have IE skill to help said users out, especially when doing IT stuff over the phone.

i have IE7 now. i haven't downloaded Firefox2 yet, which is also out, but from using a computer at work, it seems as though IE7 may actually be slightly faster.

two things i don't like at all:

-the menu bar is BELOW the address bar. i am so used to seeing File and Edit and View in a certain place, now it's stuck below and incredibly akward.

-in firefox, if you right click a link, the key to open it in a new tab is T for tab. it's not the same keystroke in IE7. my habits nolonger apply! CURSES!!! Mad
Nine Kuze 11-04-2006 06:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
two things i don't like at all:

-the menu bar is BELOW the address bar. i am so used to seeing File and Edit and View in a certain place, now it's stuck below and incredibly akward.

Ewwww, that's messed up.
Peace.
David Ryder 11-04-2006 07:38 PM
I'll stay with Firefox. Although do people still use IE anymore?
NVWC2006 11-04-2006 08:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
I'll stay with Firefox. Although do people still use IE anymore?

Yes. Even if there is ever increasing popularity for browsers like Firefox, the fact is that IE is the standard. everyone takes IE, and then looks how to improve upon IT. it's the basis for everything.

that said, it should also be noted that, at least up to IE6, the gui looked just like any Windows program, and therefore was quite simple for the average user to understand.
paul1290 11-04-2006 08:34 PM
Some people actually prefer IE over Firefox because most websites were designed for IE, exept for a few "Firefox only" sites. What browser you choose really depends on who you are.

I like Maxthon because:
-Nearly all the features found in Firefox and Opera
-Uses IE rendering engine so it's compatible with more websites.
-Has Gecko engine support to get into those "Firefox only" websites.

But of course, that's just my opinion. Big Grin
Generalissimo D 11-04-2006 09:26 PM
Oh, a word from the wise for those who seriously trick out their Firefox.

Do not upgrade to Firefox 2 yet.

I did a little while ago (MYSTERY SOLVED NINE) and it severly messed up with all the stuff I had installed.
X Prime 11-04-2006 09:40 PM
...Yeah, that kind of happens all the time with FF and certain extensions. Nothing new.
Generalissimo D 11-04-2006 10:33 PM
At its present state, it is far superior to Opera.
Krang 11-04-2006 10:59 PM
I haven't upgraded yet since I rarely use IE (just for Windows Update and for testing when designing a web page). The number of sites that require IE is getting to be smaller and smaller due to improvements in the other browsers and to people upgrading their outdated designs, so there's really not too many reasons to use it anymore. I prefer SeaMonkey (which is based on the Gecko browser core like Firefox) and have even contributed some code to it. For those of us who also need a mail application, it's good to have them in the same place.
Revan 11-05-2006 05:51 AM
I just got IE7 yesterday night and umm...it's very minimalistic compared to 6 and makes page font look different...

For shock value I'll say that I've never used Firefox and have stuck with plain ol' IE for years, it doesn't really bother me as long as it loads websites. Are other browsers really an incredible improvement over it?
NVWC2006 11-05-2006 12:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Revan
I just got IE7 yesterday night and umm...it's very minimalistic compared to 6 and makes page font look different...

For shock value I'll say that I've never used Firefox and have stuck with plain ol' IE for years, it doesn't really bother me as long as it loads websites. Are other browsers really an incredible improvement over it?

Other browsers, were, compared to IE6, much faster, offered much more user friendly settings, as well as the ability to use add-on plugins and tabbed browsing.

IE7 now has caught up in terms of speed, tabbed browsing (though you could have added that before with the Yahoo Toolbar), and the ability to have add-ons. I also think it's internet options settings are easier to work with, but for now my preference still lies with Firefox. I don't have many firefox plugins so maybe it won't be bad for me to upgrade that as well.