Can Dorothy get pregnant?

David Ryder 11-05-2006 07:32 AM
No, she's a machine.
R. Daniel Olk 01 11-05-2006 08:10 AM
To a repeated "no," here's a repeated explanation for "yes:"

All you need is a port for food, a compact way to digest, and a small circuit of blood with the womb! The womb would have to be some porous, elastic substance--porous so you could build up a uteral lining and elastic to stretch, dur.

Depending on just how advanced you want to get, one could build a pair of chromosomes and an egg from scratch!

Only thing I can't explain right now is the production and circulation of a small amount of blood. Perhaps Roger would donate a small portion of his blood for circulation through the womb and the child. Creepy idea, is that not?

Of course it's all completely insanely complicated, but it's also logical and possible. Ignoring everything but logic and basic possibility helps make science fiction fun!

>-----------------------------------------------<

I think Dorothy getting pregnant is gross. More of a curiosity than anything else. Still, even though it shouldn't be done doesn't mean it can't be done.
Shadow dorothy 11-05-2006 08:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Valdoom
and this is why we need a season 3...to prevent...odd questions like this. In all seriousness, think back to Ghost in the Shell. Could they reproduce in cybernetic form? (I seriously don't know if they showed if they could or couldn't.) My only question is why? Why would waynewright do that? If he wanted Dorothy to live a normal life in the place of his daughter, then sure why not? If he was mentally distrubed, why not? You know on second thought It would not be in any way possible. Dorothy doesn't have an anatomy. No blood, no nutriants, she doesn't eat. It would not be possible.

Do you mean Motako and Batto? Because there is an episode where you find out they have a kid and are supposedly married.
DorothyFan1 11-05-2006 01:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow dorothy
quote:
Originally posted by Valdoom
and this is why we need a season 3...to prevent...odd questions like this. In all seriousness, think back to Ghost in the Shell. Could they reproduce in cybernetic form? (I seriously don't know if they showed if they could or couldn't.) My only question is why? Why would waynewright do that? If he wanted Dorothy to live a normal life in the place of his daughter, then sure why not? If he was mentally distrubed, why not? You know on second thought It would not be in any way possible. Dorothy doesn't have an anatomy. No blood, no nutriants, she doesn't eat. It would not be possible.

Do you mean Motako and Batto? Because there is an episode where you find out they have a kid and are supposedly married.

Are you talking about Ghost in the Shell?!
Valdoom 11-05-2006 03:33 PM
check the quotes, yes ghost in the shell. and to Shadow dorothy's question, check the text you quoted.
Shadow dorothy 11-05-2006 05:57 PM
Yeah, that episodes not released in Amreica yet. The again whats youtube for. But there is an episode where you see the family photo and Batto explains how hyper his son is.
Green_Bird 11-20-2006 01:42 AM
Does anyone remember this little thread from days of old?

Is R. Dorothy "fully functional"?

Maybe the threads should be merged...I mean it's does fit into the same area as this one does...

And as for that GitS episode, wasn't Batou using The major and I think it was Togasa kids for a fake picture of his 'family' when he went undercover for something? It's been a while since I saw SAC. Besides, GitS is different, most of the characters are cyborgs. Cyborgs are humans who have mechanical parts, Androids are fully man made.

The way I see it is Dorothy is somewhat of a persocom...There are things they can and can't do, namely have children.
Jim Starluck 11-20-2006 04:10 AM
The question is not really whether it's technologically feasible or not. Even if it was, we can't assume that Dorothy was built with such a capability.

You have to remember that Dorothy was designed & built by Timothy Wayneright, to replicate his dead daughter. I sincerely doubt he built her with these kinds of biological functions in mind.
Shadow dorothy 11-20-2006 05:01 PM
Well if she was built to be Dorothy, then it is assumed that she can have kids.
Generalissimo D 11-20-2006 05:06 PM
quote:

....What?
Nine Kuze 11-20-2006 07:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
quote:

....What?

Agreed and what the hell happened in this thread?
Peace.
Shady Dark Lady 11-20-2006 08:09 PM
I've seen stranger things happen in anime/manga before....
R. Daniel Olk 01 11-21-2006 11:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Starluck
The question is not really whether it's technologically feasible or not. Even if it was

It seems pretty feasible to me. In many decades, perhaps, but feasible in reality.

Even in Paradigm City I could see it happening. Eugene did some pretty strange things there.

Though I agree that Waynewright probably wouldn't give Dorothy the function.
minespatch 11-21-2006 04:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch
holy crap! she's a android, not a lady who has human orgasims! if they were to have a baby, it would look like a retarded hippo-baby!

didn't anyone have a cheap laugh or even read what i said?
Nine Kuze 11-21-2006 04:42 PM
quote:
quote:
holy crap! she's a android, not a lady who has human orgasims! if they were to have a baby, it would look like a retarded hippo-baby!

didn't anyone have a cheap laugh or even read what i said?

No, not really.
Peace.
X Prime 11-21-2006 05:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
quote:

....What?

The reasoning she's employing implies that, in order to actually be considered a replica of Dorothy, R. Dorothy would need the human's ability to reproduce.

Which is a bad argument, since by that logic I can easily turn around and say Wayneright should have found a way to make R. Dorothy only as strong as a human of her build.
Green_Bird 11-21-2006 05:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

The reasoning she's employing implies that, in order to actually be considered a replica of Dorothy, R. Dorothy would need the human's ability to reproduce.

Which is a bad argument, since by that logic I can easily turn around and say Wayneright should have found a way to make R. Dorothy only as strong as a human of her build.

That and who's to say the real Dorothy could or couldn't have kids herself? No one knows what heath problems the real Dorothy had....
Nine Kuze 11-21-2006 06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
That and who's to say the real Dorothy could or couldn't have kids herself? No one knows what heath problems the real Dorothy had....

Okay. I think we have finally gone way, way too much into this topic.

Look, in a straight up fashion, if we are considering the R.Dorothy Wayneright that we see throughout the Big O anime and just her, then the answer to the question is no, she cannot have kids (or in hindsight, be pregnant) by human biological means.

Her body was shown to be artifice. That of an android (which is what she is. Sorry to ruin it for you), not a human and with this, an android cannot in anyway be pregnanted. Damn.
Peace.
David Ryder 11-21-2006 06:48 PM
quote:
Okay. I think we have finally gone way, way too much into this topic.

Agreed.

It started of as harmless fun but yeah this has gone to just plain creepy.
Shadow dorothy 11-21-2006 08:27 PM
U did hear that Japan has produced child care and teaching robots right? Cause if u didn't they have. And whos to say that in 2099 robots won't have kids? And besides whos to say that she cant, we just have to wait and find out.(as for the date look in the enyclopdiea of anime and manga.)