Phantasy Star Universe

Schwarzwald 11-01-2006 10:49 AM
Is anyone else currently playing it or wants to later on? Any questions about the game before you buy?

I've had it since last thursday and have fit 24 hours in. My main, Uro Uro Raphs(Beast/Hunter lvl4), is at level 21.

Anyone playing it want to get together? It's pretty groovy! The world lobby idea replacing the boring gather lobby than the party pioneer thing. The weapons look a lot cooler than in PSO. You can create your own weapons with special attributes of your choice. And your Partner Machinery(Formally mag) can actually fight for you later on.

It is however a little lacking in content, at least compared to City of Heroes. It is an expected let down. I do hope however Sega will be active with expansions and add things as City of Heroes does. You know... not just quest crap. But costume, weapons, maps, maybe a planet or two, or even a new race content far in the future.

One expansion has already been announced actually. However it looks like it may be for mainly single player, because it has some new character on the front.
David Ryder 11-01-2006 05:47 PM
If it's as "Great" as PSO, then I'll pass. However you can also play this one offline as well correct?
Jonny Axehandle 11-01-2006 07:30 PM
BEST. PHANTASY STAR. EVER.

quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
If it's as "Great" as PSO, then I'll pass.

I'd say your death will not be painless but then I'd be no better than Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts fans. I like to think I have only stooped to Comic-Book-Guy-level.

quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
However you can also play this one offline as well correct?

Yes. In fact, the offline Story mode is a major improvement over the last ones.
Volt 11-02-2006 06:49 PM
One big q: Does it have more environments than PSO? That's the main thing I'm worried about. And can you use your online character offline or is Story mode the only thing you can play? I didn't really read a lot about the game so I don't even know if I'm making sense. So yeah. Just fill me in.
Jonny Axehandle 11-02-2006 08:35 PM
A lot more enviroments than PSO (and the average level size is bigger). You can't use online characters in Story mode, but after beeting the fifth chapter you get Extra Mode. That allows you to use a customized character offline.
Schwarzwald 11-06-2006 09:52 PM
The environments are still block-by-block, room by room, but each room isn't nearly as bland.

The lobby and party system is different. You actually need to travel the world and go through monster zones to get to your ultimate goal, instead of simply warping to each dungeon from a single colony like in PSO.

This means that you can quit and join a party in between any two dungeons. You can go through the first half of the Dragon Boss quest with one group, get to the safe-zone, then go through the second part with a completely different set of people which you meet in that safe-zone lobby in between.

About offline-online characters. I don't think your online character is affected by what happens in extra mode. You can use it...but I don't think he changes any when you play online. I however haven't gotten extra mode, so I don't actually know for sure.