Spacecraft?

Big Big Moon 10-30-2006 10:43 PM
Did we ever find out what exactly that spacecraft/debris was from Act 16 (Day of the Advent)? That is, the cosmic object that Paradigm citizens believed was an angel, but was prevented from destroying the city by Roger's intervention. Where does it fit in, and why was Alex so bent on recovering it and others like it? Maybe my memory is just foggy, I apologize if these questions were answered in the episode.

Anyway, it seems that the presence of cosmic objects punches a bit of a hole in the "Paradigm is a gigantic hologram" theory. Logically, there doesn't seem to be a reason for satellites/spacecraft to exist, from a Director's standpoint, does there?
Nine Kuze 10-31-2006 12:56 PM
Those were pretty much figured out to be the headlights from the "superdome" above Paradigm City.

Oh my, my 2000th post.
Peace.
Valdoom 10-31-2006 03:23 PM
Maby it was part of the sky lights. There was a number of layers to the lights. besides I'm pretty sure a satalite could'nt fly through layer after layer of sky lights with out hitting them. They were like 40 stories high.
Big Money 10-31-2006 03:50 PM
The "Angel" looked like it was a Rusky satelite of somekind. Its trajectory made it appear that it wasn't a stagelight, but who can say?
Generalissimo D 10-31-2006 04:00 PM
It looked to me like a bigass jumbo Duo arm.
paul1290 10-31-2006 08:17 PM
I think it's an old russian soyuz capsule. It makes more sense because soyuz capsules were designed to survive re-entry. Most satellites would burn up in the atmosphere far too quickly to hit the earth. Also, the "superdome" isn't completely solid, the spacecraft could have easily passed through a gap between the dome's girders.
Dharma_Infinity 11-01-2006 05:13 PM
As I remember, a few minutes beforehand, Alex Rosewater told Roger that it was an artifical star built over 40 years ago. It was orbiting the planet, but it's orbit decayed and it fell twoards the city.

Plus, if it was one of the superstructure lights, why would it be on fire like that? It looked as though it was going through entry into the atmosphere.
Nine Kuze 11-01-2006 05:34 PM
My question is, why do the majority of members here not like that episode of Day of the Avdent?

I don't get the beef with this episode is all.
Peace.
Dharma_Infinity 11-01-2006 06:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
My question is, why do the majority of members here not like that episode of Day of the Avdent?

I never heard anything like that. I like that episode. It's not on my top 5 or anything, but it's very good. Smile
Mrs. Beck 11-01-2006 07:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

I don't get the beef with this episode is all.
Peace.

Eh, the episode is OK, but ... *shrugs* Definatly not my favorite. Not my least favorite, either, though. That title belongs to the episode 'Bring Back My Ghost'. XD

But seriously. I haven't bothered to watch it in awhile, mostly because ... Well, I honestly can say I think it just didn't have any highlights to me - or, anything that really made it stick out in my mind. But that's just me, and I highly doubt I have an even slightly similar oppinion to a majority of those who strongly dislike it.
Valdoom 11-03-2006 03:08 PM
not my favorite either, but I've seen it 4 times. Also they never showed how many levels of stage lights there were. Big Duo only got to the third layer. There could be 20 layers for all we know. The main reason I think it's a stage light is beacause it looks like one. Also a artificial star...Stars give light, right? What were the stagelights doing?
paul1290 11-03-2006 03:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Valdoom
not my favorite either, but I've seen it 4 times. Also they never showed how many levels of stage lights there were. Big Duo only got to the third layer. There could be 20 layers for all we know.

The layer Big-Duo reached was probably the last one. If you check the images section of this website, you'll see that a cloudy sky is visible between the girders that the stagelights are mounted on. Unless the clouds are hiding yet another layer of superdome, it is rather unlikely that there are any additional layers.
Nazrael 11-03-2006 03:52 PM
I think an even better question, is why are they falling?
Nine Kuze 11-03-2006 05:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nazrael
I think an even better question, is why are they falling?

Well as far as the Angel goes in "Day of the Advent", Alex Rosewater said that the "man-made stars" decay after years and years of non-use (since with the whole "losing yo' memory gimmick" and all, no one around remembered how to use them, let alone the fact that they are up there in the first place) and eventually just fall to the Earth, or of course, Paradigm City.
Peace.
Zopwx2 11-03-2006 10:15 PM
It's totally the worst episode of big o ever.

It said "tsar" in russian on the caspule fyi.
Nazrael 11-03-2006 10:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
It's totally the worst episode of big o ever.

It said "tsar" in russian on the caspule fyi.

Maybe God made a typo with the label-maker?
David Ryder 11-04-2006 07:45 PM
It looked like an old Satellite to me but given the nature of the show, yeah a stage light sounds like a good explanation.
Robot7290 11-07-2006 01:04 PM
The stagelights were NOT there before. They appeared at the end of the Big O, they were not revealed. (In a sense they were, but I'm trying to say that they did not physicall exist before the last couple of episodes). None of the characters, including Angel, actually percieved the stagelights being there (maybe Schwarz, but hes not Angel), so they did not exist.
Nazrael 11-07-2006 02:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robot7290
The stagelights were NOT there before. They appeared at the end of the Big O, they were not revealed. (In a sense they were, but I'm trying to say that they did not physicall exist before the last couple of episodes). None of the characters, including Angel, actually percieved the stagelights being there (maybe Schwarz, but hes not Angel), so they did not exist.

What?

Alex said it himself,

"How could something like that exist above Paradigm?"

I think the stagelights were alwyas there, but it wasn't until Angel was being revealed as to who she was that they appeared clearly. Till then, they'd been behind clouds.
Valdoom 11-07-2006 04:42 PM
They were always there they just couldn't see past the clouds.