A Theological Big O Theory - Connections

Mrs. Beck 10-30-2006 03:51 PM
Alright, so, Zayne (yes, the Zayne here on the boards, for those of you who know her) and I were brainstorming for ideas on one of our better RPs we'd been working on recently, and I suddenly made a connection ...

The trio of Bigs is representative of the Holy Trinity.

So before I continue, two things to know: 1.) I'm a Christian, but it still took me for blippin' ever to figure out the whole thing with the ending in relation to the 'Who's God?' dilemma which is posed in the series. 2.) At least half of the credit for this idea should go to Zayne; she and I sat there for awhile and made connections out the wazoo! ... Which poses another question - what, exactly, IS a wazoo?

Erm, heh heh ... anywho. Back to my lovely little controversial theory. Big Grin

Think about it: If, indeed, each of the bigs were representative of a member of the Holy Trinity (God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit), then it would make sense that Big Venus would represent the idea of them all being one in the same, in a sense. I'm not claiming to have full understanding of the Holy Trinity by any means - because I most certainly don't - but from what I do know, this connection makes sense.

Tentatively, we've drawn conclusions as to which member of the holy trio each of the Bigs represents:

God the Father: Big Fau
God the Son (Jesus): Big O
The Holy Spirit: Big Duo

Let's delve into the individual Bigs, shall we?

Big Fau: God the Father
This not only has to do with the implication in the series of Big Fau having a superior power than the other two, but also because of what happens when Alex Rosewater tries to control it. I beleive this may be the repsentation of what happens when people try to play God, or even force God out of the picture and claim man's superiority over God; Note that Alex not only meets an untimely end, but is not accepted well by Big Fau. That's about it on Big Fau for now.

Big O: God the Son (Jesus)
Ok, firstly, notice that Big O is the only one with a definite Dominus - Roger, who then - key point here - ends up negotiating with Big Venus for its grace upon the citizens of Paradigm. Jesus 'negotiated' with God for God's grace to save us from our sins, in a manner of speaking - he gave his life to fulfill the price of freedom if God were to be a just God. Which he is. So .... I could continue to go into detail on this, since their are TONS of other theories Zayne and I came up with ... but I'm getting tired of typing. XP

Big Duo: The Holy Spirit
This is the most tentative title. Though I'd like to point out that it seems that Schwartzwald had the most luck with the machine ... who happens to be, in essence, a ghost ... *hint hint nudge nudge* And the fact that Schwartzwald was back from the dead to spread the truth to the citizens of Paradigm? ...
... Kinda like how Jesus conquered and came back from the dead in order to spread the Gospel, or truth of God's grace?

There were a bunch of other things we'd come up with, but for now, I wanna hear your guys' thoughts on the connection. Plus, my fingers sorta hurt from typing this up - which, I've typed up more before - but for some reason, they aren't taking this little amount too well. Tongue Oh well. Type away yourselves, my friends!
Generalissimo D 10-30-2006 04:57 PM
Considering the destruction they caused, the polar titles seem more appropriate.

The Devil, The Antichrist, and the False Prophet.
Mrs. Beck 10-30-2006 05:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
Considering the destruction they caused, the polar titles seem more appropriate.

The Devil, The Antichrist, and the False Prophet.

You have a point there. *nods* I wasn't trying to say that they were supposed to be /like/ God, just that it was a possible connection on their place in the anime - that they were supposed to be like 'gods over Paradigm'. But I think I like your take on it about ten times better.
Nazrael 10-30-2006 05:26 PM
How about this?

Big O = Jesus

This makes the most sense, for reasons already stated. Roger is most likely Peter. Whereas Dorothy is Big O's Mary Magdeline.

Big Fau = Jesus' Persecuters(Romans) / The Cross/ Sin itself

Fau is not only backdropped with a Cross, but he is determined to destroy Big O. Alex himself could also represent the Anti-Christ since he controls sin. And later, Venus comes to reap Fau, perhaps sending it to Hell.

Big Duo = Judas

Duo destroyed itself after it became self-aware. Perhaps realizing that it had betrayed Big O, and had sided with Fau.

Military Police = Apostles

Since the MP is always trying to assist Jesus. Dan himself is probably Andrew, brother of Peter.

Angel = God

She's the Director of the world, and is aghast at how terrible it is. And it isn't till Roger and Big O convince her otherwise that Paradigm is worth saving.

BUT

Big Venus = Satan

Just as Venus comes to reap the world to Hell, Angel interferes and forgives. Thus, Jesus joins with Satan, and the world is given a fresh new start.
DorothyFan1 10-30-2006 06:12 PM
Where does R.Dorothy fit into this theological theory? Surely she can't be Mary Magdelene. Smile
Mrs. Beck 11-01-2006 07:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nazrael
How about this?

Big O = Jesus

This makes the most sense, for reasons already stated. Roger is most likely Peter. Whereas Dorothy is Big O's Mary Magdeline.

Big Fau = Jesus' Persecuters(Romans) / The Cross/ Sin itself

Fau is not only backdropped with a Cross, but he is determined to destroy Big O. Alex himself could also represent the Anti-Christ since he controls sin. And later, Venus comes to reap Fau, perhaps sending it to Hell.

Big Duo = Judas

Duo destroyed itself after it became self-aware. Perhaps realizing that it had betrayed Big O, and had sided with Fau.

Military Police = Apostles

Since the MP is always trying to assist Jesus. Dan himself is probably Andrew, brother of Peter.

Angel = God

She's the Director of the world, and is aghast at how terrible it is. And it isn't till Roger and Big O convince her otherwise that Paradigm is worth saving.

BUT

Big Venus = Satan

Just as Venus comes to reap the world to Hell, Angel interferes and forgives. Thus, Jesus joins with Satan, and the world is given a fresh new start.

Wow. I quite like your theory. *nods* It makes much more since. o.o Wonderfully thought out.

Except the part about Dorothy, I have to say I agree completely. I'm not sure where she fits into the equation, but I'm not too sure about her 'being' Mary Magdelene.
Nazrael 11-01-2006 09:20 PM
Yeah, the only reason I thought was because she basically fused with Big O.

Dorothy is very hard to place, hmmm...
DorothyFan1 11-01-2006 10:12 PM
Except Dorothy COULD fit if she was the Holy Ghost...or the one who combines all the Bigs together. Remember Dorothy was eagerly sought after by all of them. We never really saw who it was Big Duo was reaching out for in Episode 14 after its head was severed. Some people said...Angel. Since it was reaching out to the Corporate building that was controlled by Alex Rosewater. I think it could also have been reaching out to Dorothy too. Dorothy of all the characters in Paradigm City can be considered the ultimate Dominus of ANY of the Bigs. That's why she was so important.

Getting back to the theory...Dorothy could very well be God. Remember, she's an android who seemingly has no purpose other than cleaning house and playing the piano for Roger Smith. She was alot more than this. She was the one who offered Roger the chance to merge with Big O in Act 26 and she was the one who ultimately helped him defeat Big Fau. Dorothy is the key to all of Paradigm. She's the one who is the Director...despite what other posters claim. It's not Angel. Otherwise this theory would make HER to be God. She's clearly not God. It's Dorothy.
Nazrael 11-02-2006 05:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
Except Dorothy COULD fit if she was the Holy Ghost...or the one who combines all the Bigs together. Remember Dorothy was eagerly sought after by all of them. We never really saw who it was Big Duo was reaching out for in Episode 14 after its head was severed. Some people said...Angel. Since it was reaching out to the Corporate building that was controlled by Alex Rosewater. I think it could also have been reaching out to Dorothy too. Dorothy of all the characters in Paradigm City can be considered the ultimate Dominus of ANY of the Bigs. That's why she was so important.

Getting back to the theory...Dorothy could very well be God. Remember, she's an android who seemingly has no purpose other than cleaning house and playing the piano for Roger Smith. She was alot more than this. She was the one who offered Roger the chance to merge with Big O in Act 26 and she was the one who ultimately helped him defeat Big Fau. Dorothy is the key to all of Paradigm. She's the one who is the Director...despite what other posters claim. It's not Angel. Otherwise this theory would make HER to be God. She's clearly not God. It's Dorothy.

But you could also argue that Dorothy merely communicated with Big Duo, and went to see where it had been reaching for. Why else would she have gone to that abandoned locker room? Angel had been in there.