Roger's End Pose thing...

Robot7290 10-24-2006 07:32 PM
OK, now I was just thinking... when I watched the last episode of the Big O, I saw Roger spread his arms out and thought Jesus! Cross! Christ!

But now after thinking on it for a bit, it is my opinion that Roger spreading his arms out was not to signify him being Jesus on the cross, but him giving his all to Angel (I think he even says that too). I know when I first watched it I thought it was something Christian, just making the link from the 3 Beasts, to 666, to Paradigm = Babel, Angel = Lucifer, whatever. But I keep thinking back to what Schwarzvald (I'm not spelling that right, I know it) said, well what he often said. Not quoting here, but you know, humankind's fear of the unknown.

Recently, I've been connecting that as an allegory to religion and existence as a whole. Most people have fear of where they go when they die. Religion is a way to subdue that fear (Schwarz. ever-comforting presence of God, only to see blah blah...). Now this (in my mind, I'm NOT stating absolutes here) is contradictory torwards Roger's pose at the end. Basically, I think the whole series is a big allegory to existence (or religion, or whatever you wanna call it). Roger had a pre-determined "role" set down by the Director, and he changes his role by negotiations with the director, just as Gordon Rosewater said he would.

Look, to all you people who are going to make stupid responses to this post, this is my OPINION. OPINION. This is how I feel, it is not fact.
Valdoom 10-26-2006 02:46 PM
My personal opionion is: It's a good thought, but I just don't watch shows like this so I can yell out "HIDDEN CHRISTIANITY!!!" every four minutes. However when I see the evil red balloon I do yell out "RED BALLOON!!!" , but I only do that because I think red balloons are evil. The point is I understand what your saying, and I only disagree with your concluetion is all. Whatever floats your boat.
Robot7290 10-26-2006 06:52 PM
Yeah, neither do I. I never said that's why I just watch shows. The thought just came to me, I didn't shout it out Tongue . And what I am trying to say is that currently I think it isn't.
paul1290 10-29-2006 07:21 AM
I've never really thought of Roger's pose looking like Jeses. Nice observation though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional seeing that there are so many other instances of religious symbolism in Big-O.
Valdoom 10-29-2006 02:04 PM
I watched it again (thanks to Shew) I think it was more of an embrace toward angel. Also with the "hidden christianity" thing, in Act: 18 The Greatest Villian Roger is tied up to a cross.
Robot7290 11-07-2006 01:13 PM
Yeah, I agree, there is a lot of religious symbolism in Big O. But after hearing the words of Shwarz and Roger and Gordon during the series, I believe it promotes more of a non-religious view of existence.