What If...

Nine Kuze 10-17-2006 03:48 AM
...you didn't click on that link just now?

I've been thinking about this for a while now and wanted to see what you all would think about it.

Anyway, I don't how many of you are aware or even follow this but Marvel Comics has this line of comics called "What If?..." which basically follows Marvels characters and putting them in situations and exploring "the road not traveled". Some examples of these are "What if Captain America had been elected president?", "What if Spider-Man's Uncle Ben had lived and Aunt May was murdered instead?", and "What if the Silver Surfer possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?" Just some examples like that.

So, I started thinking about this concept in the lines of anime. What if things didn't happen the way they were first shown? What if the road not traveled was in fact, traveled? With this, you can pretty much come up with a lot of different and interesting scenarios.

I have a few examples myself from different anime that I'd like to share and have you check out:

The Big O:
- What if Michael Seebach never became Schwartzwald?
- What if Roger Smith never left the Military Police?
- What if Angel stayed with Roger instead of Dorothy?
- What if Dan Dastun was a dominus?

Cowboy Bebop:
- What if Julia and Faye became a bounty hunting team?
- What if Spike stayed in the Red Dragon and Vicious became the bounty hunter?
- What if Jet was in the Red Dragon?
- What if Spike Spiegel had a bounty on his head?

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
- What if Yui Ikari never died?
- What if 14 year old Misato Katsuragi was an Evangelion pilot?
- What if Shinji Ikari was the commander of NERV?
- What if Misato was Shinji's birth mother?

Anyway, just wanted to see what the reaction of this will be and if you have some examples yourself feel free to post them down. Also, that would be cool to discuss about some of the scenarios as well. Well, have fun and all.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 10-17-2006 05:20 AM
quote:

The show would have had some weird, freudian undertone in some episod-Oh wait...
Sara Comatori 10-17-2006 11:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
- What if Shinji Ikari was the commander of NERV?

Then the world would have fallen apart and SEELE 8 would kill himself. We don't want that...He's cool!!
Green_Bird 10-17-2006 04:27 PM
Death Note:

- What if L got the Death Note insted of Light? (okay I sort of ripped that one off of another form...but...it works here)
- what if the series centered around Misa and Rem insted of Light and Ryuk?

Wolf's Rain:

- What if it followed the humans for the whole series?

quote:

Didn't Ed actually hack in and do that in the SS manga to get their attention? Spike and Jet were rather shocked....So I supose that anwsers that....
Generalissimo D 10-17-2006 04:53 PM
Tekkaman Blade

- What if Evil overcame the Radham influence?
- What if D-Boy's sister didn't detonate herself?
- What if Aki never suddenly changed her hair green?

FLCL

- What if this show made sense?

Hi hi, hi ho, to the Dales Bar this goes.
Nine Kuze 10-17-2006 05:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
Hi hi, hi ho, to the Dales Bar this goes.

No it doesn't D. It's not just a random game by any means. Read my first post and it says that you can discuss about certain scenarios that some of the other members have posted.

So yeah. Also watch FLCL again (yes, again), it does make sense. Also, I was going to write one that said something along the lines of "What if Trinity Blood was good?" but I guess I'll wait for the entire series to air first. Even though at this point, that's really not needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
quote:

Didn't Ed actually hack in and do that in the SS manga to get their attention? Spike and Jet were rather shocked....So I supose that anwsers that....

Um, I don't remember that even though its been a while since I read the manga.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:

The show would have had some weird, freudian undertone in some episod-Oh wait...

Anno beat you to the punch?! Also I don't know what Comatori is talking about really (that post exactly make all that much sense) and I like the Misato piloting the Eva scenario myself.
Peace.
minespatch 10-17-2006 05:44 PM
yugioh-

what if it weren't a tutorial tcg show?
what if we just followed a storyline insted of including those boring battles?
Nine Kuze 10-18-2006 01:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch
yugioh-

what if it weren't a tutorial tcg show?
what if we just followed a storyline insted of including those boring battles?

You're not going to keep this in its original content that it was intended for, are you?

This is not really a good example of what's supposed to be going down here. I'm not bashing you or anything, I'm just saying that your examples are mostly from an opinion stand point (I agree with it though, but that's not the point here). It doesn't at all go into the point of different and unseen scenarios that could have happened involving the characters. A good example would have been something around the lines of "What if Joey had the Millenium Puzzle?" or "What if Yugi was the head of KaibaCorp?" Also, I just want to say that my Trinity Blood example was just for fun and all that.

quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Death Note:

- What if L got the Death Note insted of Light? (okay I sort of ripped that one off of another form...but...it works here)

It wouldn't have been as interesting really, since L doesn't seem to have that warped logic that Light has and think that its actually justified. Although, it would be something to see what he would do with the Death Note though.

Here's one for you that I can think up at the spot:
- What if L and Light were using the Death Note together as partners?

Other scenarios I got:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- What if Daisuke Aramaki turned out to be The Laughing Man?
- What if Hideo Kuze was the Major of Section 9?
- What if Kazundo Gouda had in fact taken over the Japanese government?
- What if Hideo Kuze had in fact taken over the Japanese government?
- What if The Laughing Man joined Section 9?
- What if Motoko Kusanagi and Yoko Kubayashi switched roles?
Peace.
Hollow XXVI 10-20-2006 01:25 AM
Sorry Ninepac dear, I'm not an avid anime watcher. (Honestly I don't think I've seen any of the animes previously mentioned..)

The only "what if" for me is...what if Rurouni Kenshin wasn't disgraced and had the arc with Enishi in it, animated instead of that GODAWFUL FILLER?!

Sure I got my Shishio action which is welcomed, but...that filler was just terrible and caused the series cancellation. Now Enishi's only seen in OVA's. Boo.

Also I hate Sony and blame them.
Sharpshooter005 10-20-2006 06:44 AM
quote:
FLCL

- What if this show made sense?

I must have seen some identical yet different version of that show since...I dont know, I never thought it was that confusing or whatever.

Hellsing-
What if they didn't decide that undead nazis as antagonists were passe or whatever, and instead of focusing on some purple idiot had followed the plot of the manga, even though it wasn't even halfway done at that point