Big O Manga = Bad

ScionofDestiny 10-14-2006 01:15 PM
Does anyone else agree when I say 'the Big O manga was terrible - especially in comparison with the anime'?
Seihou 10-14-2006 01:42 PM
I heavily prefer the anime to the manga. It just didn't click with me.
Big Money 10-14-2006 02:37 PM
Somehow I feel like I'd enjoy the manga, because what initially attracted me to the show was the robots and now, after seeing it so many times, I could care less about knowing what was really going on or anything plot related.

What about the manga didn't you like?
NVWC2006 10-14-2006 04:56 PM
I don't agree. While the manga is considerably less realistic then the anime (which is saying something, it IS a giant mecha anime), I do like it. i only have issues 1, 2, and 6, but they have enough to explain details that did not appear in the show, some back story for Roger, Schwarzwald, plus they depict Angel as i think they should have done in the anime Wink . it isn't uncommon for manga to take a different route than their acomponying anime, and i like the course the Big O manga took... i just wish there was more ^^
David Ryder 10-14-2006 05:20 PM
I'm one of the people that detests the manga. I addition to the shoddy art work, the new stories where very very weak. And since Big O takes place in America, people in churches saying "Thank Budda" adds extra points of failure. So what I'm saying is F the big o manga.
Shadow dorothy 10-14-2006 07:39 PM
I won't say terrible, just out of context with the anime. Besides I like the manga, it's supposed to be about what happens between the episodes.
Robot7290 10-15-2006 10:58 PM
Can we all accept the anime as non-canon? C'mon, the manga is not the Big O.
Sara Comatori 10-15-2006 11:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robot7290
Can we all accept the anime as non-canon? C'mon, the manga is not the Big O.

I agree. The Manga is ok but nothing can replace the original and that was the Anime.
evanASF27 10-16-2006 01:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
Does anyone else agree when I say 'the Big O manga was terrible - especially in comparison with the anime'?

No.

The Triple Piston pwned.

The anime and the manga are like parallel universes...similar in design but different ina couple of key aspects. I've read the manga (rather stared at the awesome pictures) while at Zola's house at my last PCF Cookout and I loved a lot of the stuff in the manga...the only thing which I consider controversial on the Coolness Scale is the handling of Big Duo's demise and (possibly) Big Fau's dominus (which is possibly the second biggest difference between manga and anime). Regardless I will one day own the complete Big O manga...simply because it's a good read and it's got giant robots.
Nine Kuze 10-16-2006 10:39 AM
Um funny. I actually like the manga... a lot. Its a very interesting read and shows a much more descriptive telling of the citizens of Paradigm outside of the main characters than what the anime does.

If compared to the anime, yeah I guess you can make the argument that the manga looks like crap to it. But it still doesn't mean that its not terrible by anymeans. Its like when some say the second season is sh** compared to the first season. Does comparing the 2nd to the 1st mean that the 2nd is terrible? No, not really. The second season is damn good and incredible in my humble opinon but that doesn't mean that compared to the first season (which is indeed better) its terrible.

I like the manga version of Angel a lot more than the anime (she pilots Big Fau and kicks Roger and Big O's asses) and the interaction between Roger and Angel gets me as well. Norman seems more thought out as well (he beats the you know what out of a gang of armed thugs in front of Dorothy. True, he doesn't say "Sons of bitches"! but still, that's pretty kickass).

I guess I'm saying is is that I like the manga of Big O in its own right, as opposed to just automatically comparing it to the anime.
Peace.
Schwarzwald101 10-18-2006 07:02 AM
Certainly, the weaker stories are an obvious point of contention, but come on....look at episode 2, or even 15, certainly thrown together to advance characters with little regard of a great story.

Frankly, when Schwarzwald comes down from on high as the "Angel" in Big Duo, it was a moment that shold have been in the anime, even if they had to make it in the second season. The art for it was brilliant. Duo was much more frightening and demented than it could ever have been in the anime. Duo in the anime comes off as a sort of pathetic robot who can only be changed and piloted by the unfitted, then rebells near the end of it's existance to prove to itself that it did indeed have worth.

Agreed, Angel was a much stronger and better played character in the manga. Perhaps how we saw herSchwarzwaldian descent into the truth of the city and her past helped us to see that the anime Angel was more human, while Angel's actons in the manga are more elusive, and manipulative, thus making her harder to get a grasp on.
ScionofDestiny 10-18-2006 06:37 PM
quote:
Agreed, Angel was a much stronger and better played character in the manga. Perhaps how we saw herSchwarzwaldian descent into the truth of the city and her past helped us to see that the anime Angel was more human, while Angel's actons in the manga are more elusive, and manipulative, thus making her harder to get a grasp on.

Elusive? Hard to get a grasp on?

Yep - because she was an underdeveloped character in the manga. Two-dimensional at best, whereas anime Angel was a three dimensional character. I couldn't help but feel as though Dorothy in the manga was one-dimensional, whereas her character in the anime is three or maybe even four-dimensional. The only character development in the manga was done by Roger. Dorothy, Angel, Norman, Dastun ... all of them pretty much stayed the same (although that was true for Norman in the anime anyway). Please take a look at their characters in the anime, look me straight in the eye, and tell me what I am saying isn't true. If you do, I'll write up a five-paragraph essay to prove my point with empirical evidence.

We didn't see enough of Gordon and Alex, unfortunately.

Big Ear was ... friendlier(?) in the manga, but less prominent.

Schwartzwald never developed. He was pretty much crazy by the time we saw him. All we got to see was the final step. This was extremely disappointing, as in the anime it implied that before he was Schwartzwald he was a ordinary reporter. I would have liked to see the latter aspect.

quote:
I guess I'm saying is is that I like the manga of Big O in its own right, as opposed to just automatically comparing it to the anime.
Peace.

Compare it to the anime? I'm comparing to mecha manga in general, just like I compare Big O to mecha anime in general. The Big O anime was exceptional among mecha anime, whereas the manga was exceedingly average among mecha manga.
Nine Kuze 10-19-2006 02:15 AM
quote:
Please take a look at their characters in the anime, look me straight in the eye, and tell me what I am saying isn't true. If you do, I'll write up a five-paragraph essay to prove my point with empirical evidence.

Calm down, kid. I don't think anyone is here to ask you to do extracurricular homework on a mecha anime series. MLA format of course though.

quote:
Compare it to the anime? I'm comparing to mecha manga in general, just like I compare Big O to mecha anime in general. The Big O anime was exceptional among mecha anime, whereas the manga was exceedingly average among mecha manga.

Well in that aspect, have you ever considered looking at the manga at as a stand alone work? Why is it neccesary to compare it so much to other manga where you can look at the Big O manga itself exclusively and incidate it in its own right? Just a thought.

Although you got some pretty good points as far as the character development goes (I like manga Dastun more than anime Dastun myself), I myself still like how the manga brought in the same feel of Paradigm City that was showed through out the anime.
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 10-20-2006 01:58 PM
I don't need to calm down. I can see how my statement might be misleading, but it's just a figure of speech - not an emotional appeal to the senses or anything like that.

As a stand alone work? It's not a stand alone work though. It is a visual media product which stands to be judged by professional critics and fans alike. Because it is a product of the visual media, it must be compared to like visual media if we are to derive a relative account of it's quality.

I also can't agree that the manga set the same tone as the anime - statements like 'Thank Buddha' are one thing, but I felt as though the attitudes of the officers and citizens of Paradigm City were alternatively overly optimistic or dangerously repressed/depressed/angry (whereas in the anime evereyone was just kind of low on spirits and plain-mannered) It seemed like all of the background characters in the manga acted as the plot dictated they should - as opposed to a plot simply describing a sequence of theoretical events like in the anime. I couldn't help but notice that the background characters in the manga are just used more often and more chaotically than in the anime. This sort of deviates from the existentialist theme I liked in the anime, but apart form that all of the plot requirement policies used by the mangaka got annoying.
Sara Comatori 10-23-2006 11:25 PM
So its a little diffrenet and they don't move...ok so they say "Buddha" instead of "God"...so what. That's bad if somthing like that cheeses you off. I've seen alot of Japanese Anime were there in like Europe and places like that but the still say "Sensei" instead of "Master"

It's a comman mistake. The manga is a little poor on the art but I like the story and Roger and Dorothy are funny...

It gives us a little more in sight of Schwarzwald too.

But your thoughts are your own. I'm just posting in a thread.

-Peace