Google Buys YouTube

Asirt 10-09-2006 05:11 PM
BBC Article
Marketwatch Article
Mark Cuban's Blog Entry

quote:
From BBC Article:
Google is buying video-sharing website YouTube for $1.65bn (£883m) in shares after a weekend of speculation that a deal was in the offing.

The two companies will continue to operate independently, Google said as it announced the news on Monday.

YouTube, launched in February 2005, has grown quickly into one of the most popular websites on the internet.

It has 100 million videos viewed every day and an estimated 20 million individual visitors each month.

So what do you think? Smart buy, or not?
David Ryder 10-09-2006 05:38 PM
Sounds like a smart buy to me.
Hobodoken 10-09-2006 06:26 PM
Are they renaming it GooTube?
Nazrael 10-09-2006 06:34 PM
Saw this on another forum. Shocking.
Generalissimo D 10-09-2006 06:36 PM
It's taking over.

In a good way.
Sharpshooter005 10-09-2006 07:20 PM
Seriously? I could swear I just read an article somewhere that alot of companies were backing off youtube because they didn't think it would turn enough of a profit to make it worthwhile.

...Or wait was that facebook. It may have been, on CNBC a couple of days ago they mentioned Viacom backing off from a possible deal with them.
088nd 10-09-2006 07:23 PM
I thought Google already had Google Video. I guess they're just buying out the competition. Yay monopolies.
Sir Nise 10-09-2006 07:32 PM
google WILL buy the entire interweb.
Travis Bickle 10-09-2006 07:50 PM
In terms of advertising, YouTube is worth about as much as it was purchased for. With Google generating the majority of their income from advertising, this was a smart move.
NVWC2006 10-09-2006 08:13 PM
i agree it was a smart move.

i was ancy, i like youtube's layout more than google video's, but if they will operate independently, then maybe only small things like allowing longer videos from average members would become part of youtube. in that case, it's not only a smart idea, but good idea for viewers as well.
Wingnut 10-10-2006 02:58 PM
For all those that may still be wondering if it is legit, it is. The YouTube founders have posted a short video talking about the recient event.
Scourge 10-11-2006 09:59 PM
Meh, this may turn out really bad for Google. They overpayed for the site it self, that was there first goof. Unless they somehow boost security by a lot Google just bought ad space, community, and lawsuits. If they do remove all the copywritten work it'll only leave community, which in the long run won't be able to bring in a profit worth a damn.

Good job Google you eliminated your video competition but you also lost millions.
DorothyFan1 10-11-2006 11:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scourge
Meh, this may turn out really bad for Google. They overpayed for the site it self, that was there first goof. Unless they somehow boost security by a lot Google just bought ad space, community, and lawsuits. If they do remove all the copywritten work it'll only leave community, which in the long run won't be able to bring in a profit worth a damn.

Good job Google you eliminated your video competition but you also lost millions.

Here's the thing. Youtube has no DRM on its videos. It's too easy to download videos from Youtube...even copyrighted material. For instance...about several weeks ago...I noticed the Bruce Springsteen video clip Born in the USA. It was so easy to download this clip...especially if you're using Firefox. Just click with a certain Firefox plugin..and viola...you have Bruce Springsteen's video clip on your hard drive. I just went to iTunes and bought a legal copy. Video quality is far superior than the pirated one.

I just visited Youtube again today and I'm seeing the Bruce Springsteen clp has been removed. But inexplicably...other Bruce Springsteen clips which are just as copyrighted...are still sitting on YouTube. They clearly have to clean up their act now they've been bought up by Google. (I'm predicting Microsoft will buy Yahoo at some point.)

Here's the rub...some of the copyrighted material uploaded on Youtube is hard to consider copyright violations...because some posters have made some really creative videos with the material. I wouldn't call it copyrighted material if the users "creatively" mix things up. An example...someone posted a video clip from Titanic using an extremely rare music audio of Kate Winslet singing an unreleased tune for the movie called "What If".

I've been unable to find this song on iTunes or anywhere else. So how the heck did this poster get the material? It doesn't matter but the usage of that music to the video clip made sense. So some of the stuff on Youtube qualifies as being on the fence. Could be either way. I believe the lawsuits that Youtube will face will be very interesting because it will pit copyrighted material against believers of fair usage of copyrighted material.

I also believe copyrights will have to be modified in light of sites like Youtube. It's clear Youtube pushes the limits of copyright to such an extent that the Digital Copyright Millenium Act will need futher refinement.
Chitter-Box-Kat 10-12-2006 05:33 AM
As long as I can still find and watch all my fave videos, I'm good.
FlashBoy 10-17-2006 11:18 PM
NO!! No You Tube...I HATE GOOGLE!! They don't work! No...why...why?*Powneds on computer desk*
Hollow XXVI 10-20-2006 01:30 AM
Anyone know what's going on with the odd suspension of any members that have uploaded anime music videos?

Sure those things are terrible but I find it odd and will be sad if they take all the anime off there.
Asirt 03-13-2007 09:06 PM
Since this is relevant to the thread:

Viacom will sue YouTube for $1bn

quote:
Viacom, which owns MTV and Nickelodeon, says YouTube uses its shows illegally.

Viacom alleges that about 160,000 unauthorized clips of its programs have been loaded onto YouTube's site and viewed more than 1.5 billion times.

Google says it is "confident" that YouTube has respected the legal rights of copyright holders.

However the internet search giant saw its shares fell $11.72, or 2.6%.
Revan 03-14-2007 07:02 AM
Hmm someone was bound to sue them some day. There are indeed lots of clips from TV shows which is great, but of course there are always the big companies and lawyers out there to spoil your fun, especially if you are enjoying their media for free...

But it's not as if the video uploaders are taking any credit for the copyrighted clips (or something), many of the ones I've watched are uploaded with fan enjoyment in mind.
Wingnut 03-14-2007 08:46 AM
Well they didn't sue, but Sunrise did the same thing with all the Gundam episodes and clips that were there.
As of now there are no episodes or clips of Gundam to be found there, and any that may pop up are soon gone, and sometimes the users that post them wind up gone as well.
Nine Kuze 03-14-2007 09:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
and sometimes the users that post them wind up gone as well.

I understand protecting your investment and product and asking for them to be taken down but having the members who posted them "disappear" is a bit too much. Granted, hilarious but yeah.

I guess Sunrise, Bandai and Gonzo are pretty much saying "Don't post our merchandise up on Youtube. And don't look into anything like "vanished members" as well. You do and let's just say we'll do to you what we did to MisterChobits_666. Get the picture?"
Peace.