North Korea (maybe) conducts first Nuclear Test

NVWC2006 10-08-2006 10:27 PM
I'm seeing this right now on CNN and FOX News. I'm looking for an AP article to post, I will as soon as I get it.

another edit: just from watching the news, reports say that China recieved a 20 min warning previous to the test, and warned the US, S. Korea and Japan.

North Korea says nuclear test successful (AP Yahoo!)
quote:
SEOUL, South Korea -
North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed successfully and there was no radioactive leakage from the site.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The nuclear test is a historic event that brought happiness to the our military and people," KCNA said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the test was conducted at 10:36 a.m. (9:36 p.m. EDT Sunday) in Hwaderi near Kilju city, citing defense officials.


North Korea claims test of nuclear weapon (AP FOX)

quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed successfully and that there had been no radioactive leakage from the site.

"The nuclear test is a historic event that brought happiness to the our military and people," KCNA said. "The nuclear test will contribute to maintaining peace and stability in the Korean peninsula and surrounding region."

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun has convened a meeting of security advisers over the issue, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported, adding that intelligence over the test has been exchanged between concerned countries.

The North said last week it would conduct a test, sparking regional concern and frantic diplomatic efforts aimed at dissuading Pyongyang from such a move. North Korea has long claimed to have nuclear weapons, but had never before performed a known test to prove its arsenal.

The nuclear test was conducted at 10:36 a.m. (0136 GMT) in Hwaderi near Kilju city, Yonhap reported, citing defense officials.

The North has refused for a year to attend international talks aimed at persuading it to disarm. The country pulled out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in 2003 after U.S. officials accused it of a secret nuclear program, allegedly violating an earlier nuclear pact between Washington and Pyongyang.

Speculation over a possible North Korean test arose earlier this year after U.S. and Japanese reports cited suspicious activity at a suspected underground test site.


North Korea confirms nuclear test (AP CNN)

quote:
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported Monday the country has performed a successful nuclear test.

South Korean government officials also said North Korea performed its first nuclear test, the South's Yonhap news agency reported

According to KCNA, there was no radioactive leakage from the site.

South Korean officials could not immediately confirm the Yonhap report.

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun convened an urgent meeting of security advisers over the issue, Yonhap reported.

The North said last week it would conduct a nuclear test as part of its deterrent against a possible U.S. invasion.

The report of the test came as Japan's new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe arrived in Seoul for meetings with President Roh Moo-hyun to address the nuclear issue as well as address strains in relations between the two countries over territorial and historical disputes.

North Korea accused rival South Korea on Monday of committing a serious provocation by firing warning shots during a weekend incident in which the South says soldiers from the communist North crossed over their border.

The border shooting came Saturday. South Korean soldiers rattled off about 40 warning shots after a group of five North Korean troops crossed into the southern side of the no-man's-land separating the divided Korean peninsula, South Korea said.

No one was hurt in the incident.
David Ryder 10-08-2006 10:28 PM
Yeah, I've been hearing alot about that. Things might get hairy soon, but the world needs some excitement.
Big Money 10-08-2006 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
but the world needs some excitement.


Speak for yourself.
Generalissimo D 10-08-2006 10:32 PM
Oh sh**.
NVWC2006 10-08-2006 10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
but the world needs some excitement.


Speak for yourself.


I agree. I would prefer not to see N. Korea or Iran or another country with their mindset launch a nuclear missile. Mutual destruction is something we avoided with the Soviets, it's not a good idea to deal with this again.
088nd 10-08-2006 10:36 PM
Tappa DONNNNNNNNNG
Generalissimo D 10-08-2006 10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
but the world needs some excitement.


Speak for yourself.


I agree. I would prefer not to see N. Korea or Iran or another country with their mindset launch a nuclear missile. Mutual destruction is something we avoided with the Soviets, it's not a good idea to deal with this again.


Iran's president is basically the only guy in history to ever talk about genocide with a smile on his face.
David Ryder 10-08-2006 10:39 PM
Note to self, never try to make jokes, people take them to seriously, anyway.

Well if it is indeed true they tested a nuke, what should the world do? Try to impose sanctions on the said contries?
NVWC2006 10-08-2006 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
Note to self, never try to make jokes, people take them to seriously, anyway.

Well if it is indeed true they test a nuke, what should the world do? Try to impose sanctions on the said contries?


some jokes just don't belong at certain times, no hard feeling my man

i think we've all realized that sanctions are... useless? i don't want to be that blunt but.. when was the last time they worked?
David Ryder 10-08-2006 10:45 PM
quote:
some jokes just don't belong at certain times, no hard feeling my man


Aye, I was a bit outta line there.

Anyways, I do agree, that sanctions are indeed worthless and the U.N as a whole (but that's another topic all together. If they do build more, one has to wonder, who would be first... America, Japan, or South Korea?
Generalissimo D 10-08-2006 10:54 PM
If you need to ask, you should worry about yourself.

Japan of course.
Big Money 10-08-2006 10:55 PM
I read in Popular Science a while ago that the farthest flying missile Korea could build would only barely reach the edge of Alaska. So they'd have to put it on a boat or a plane or something to hit America.

That was, like, a year ago or something, though, so I suppose that bears further research.
NVWC2006 10-08-2006 10:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
I read in Popular Science a while ago that the farthest flying missile Korea could build would only barely reach the edge of Alaska. So they'd have to put it on a boat or a plane or something to hit America.

That was, like, a year ago or something, though, so I suppose that bears further research.


what i heard, but cannot verify, that the tests from July 4th is that N. Korean missiles could reach Hawaii
David Ryder 10-08-2006 11:29 PM
Interesting.

Looks like Japan is considering the idea of their own Nukes and the US said it has agreed to protect japan.

Source: Yahoo news.
evanASF27 10-08-2006 11:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
but the world needs some excitement.


Speak for yourself.


I agree. I would prefer not to see N. Korea or Iran or another country with their mindset launch a nuclear missile. Mutual destruction is something we avoided with the Soviets, it's not a good idea to deal with this again.

I don't wanna see it happen...



But I'll say this now just to get it outta the way:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!1!!111one
The Fallen Phoenix 10-08-2006 11:52 PM
If we're all still around by then, I'll let you know by the end of my semester (and my intro to IR class) what ought be done about a (potentially) irrational leader sitting on a small stockpile of nuclear missiles that, at best, threaten peripheral U.S. interests in East Asia (Japan and South Korea, most specifically).

That is to say, I think we can all uncomfortably relax, because the North Koreans aren't nuking the United States anytime soon. The Soviets never did, and while I suppose they had much more to lose (going from bipolar power/leading challenger to hegemonic power to nothing), they had nothing more to gain (world annihilation does no one any good, after all), so...
Generalissimo D 10-09-2006 06:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
If we're all still around by then, I'll let you know by the end of my semester (and my intro to IR class) what ought be done about a (potentially) irrational leader sitting on a small stockpile of nuclear missiles that, at best, threaten peripheral U.S. interests in East Asia (Japan and South Korea, most specifically).

That is to say, I think we can all uncomfortably relax, because the North Koreans aren't nuking the United States anytime soon. The Soviets never did, and while I suppose they had much more to lose (going from bipolar power/leading challenger to hegemonic power to nothing), they had nothing more to gain (world annihilation does no one any good, after all), so...


I don't think the Soviets ever had anyone with an ugly napoleon complex near the button.
RoseRose 10-09-2006 09:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
If we're all still around by then, I'll let you know by the end of my semester (and my intro to IR class) what ought be done about a (potentially) irrational leader sitting on a small stockpile of nuclear missiles that, at best, threaten peripheral U.S. interests in East Asia (Japan and South Korea, most specifically).

That is to say, I think we can all uncomfortably relax, because the North Koreans aren't nuking the United States anytime soon. The Soviets never did, and while I suppose they had much more to lose (going from bipolar power/leading challenger to hegemonic power to nothing), they had nothing more to gain (world annihilation does no one any good, after all), so...


I don't think the Soviets ever had anyone with an ugly napoleon complex near the button.

Stalin. He was a HUGE egomaniac. No, no specific sources... it's amazing what ends up in your head when you're a history major.

But, yeah... And the U.S. and the Soviets had some REALLY close calls at times.
Schwarzwald_X 10-09-2006 02:49 PM
Damn.... this isn't looking good.
The way I see it, we could be in for some problems in the near future. So they can only make it to Hawaii or Alaska... it doesn't matter. The fact that they have such weapons is enough to worry me.
David Ryder 10-09-2006 04:15 PM
Seems like South Korea has gotten word of another possible test and not to mention Japan and the U.S are submitting a sanctions package to the UN. Well here's hoping this will be the one time sanctions actually work. Interesting.