AMV trouble, help please!

evanASF27 10-02-2006 09:56 PM
Hey all, it's been a while since I've mentioned my music videos around here hasn't it? Shocked Anyway, I'm in need of some assistance.

The Story:
I've joined the anime club at my college and as it turns out we're planning to attend the AnimeUSA con that's scheduled in November outside of Washington DC. I checked out the AnimeUSA website and saw that they were having an AMV contest.... guess what I'm planning to do now? Big Grin Evil My submission is going to be either a video I've been working on for nearly a year (actually I started it in July 2005 and just never finished it) or it'll be my "1941 Big O" video.

The Problem:
In order for my videos to meet the the rules they need to be sent in 720x480 format... something which my editor cannot save as! I've got a program from a friend which will be able to get me clips from my DVDs (much better quality than the ones I used to make the original), that was I can up the quality as much as possible... but I still don't know how I'll be able to save in a 720x480 format! Frown

The Question:
Does anyone know of a program which can either (1) save or resave videos in 720x480 format, or (2) alter the format from 640x480 to 720x480 (preferably without the loss of video quality)?

Also I have a side question...
I've been fiddling with the program my friend gave me to take clips off of my Big O dvds, but when I play the clips back (or even resave them into a more compressed format) the playback of the video is jerky but the audio is unaffected. Does anyone have any guesses as to what may be causing this?

Any help on either problem (tho preferrably the first one) would be much appreciated Smile
Asirt 10-02-2006 10:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zenigata-Da-Vida
The Question:
Does anyone know of a program which can either (1) save or resave videos in 720x480 format, or (2) alter the format from 640x480 to 720x480 (preferably without the loss of video quality)?

You can use VirtualDub to resize the video to a higher resolution. The upscaling quality will depend on what method you use (I use Lanczos3). There should a "Filters" option under "Video", I believe, but it's been such a long time since I've used VirtualDub, so I'm not exactly sure where's where, but I know that it's possible under VirtualDub.

---------------

I find it odd that your video editor can't resize the video higher than 640x480. What are you using?
evanASF27 10-02-2006 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
quote:
The Question:

You can use VirtualDub to resize the video to a higher resolution. The upscaling quality will depend on what method you use (I use Lanczos3). There should a "Filters" option under "Video", I believe, but it's been such a long time since I've used VirtualDub, so I'm not exactly sure where's where, but I know that it's possible under VirtualDub.

---------------

I find it odd that your video editor can't resize the video higher than 640x480. What are you using?

I use "Video Edit Magic 4.12" Pleased Same program that made all my original Music Vids.

I dunno bout Virtual Dub. I've tried using that for getting clips for pan pics and I could never get the quality right. The clips were always grainy and not to scale. I'll try VD again...but I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

(Btw, if I try anything it won't be tonight because I'm also technically supposed to be writting a 3 page paper that's due tomorrow >_>)
Krang 10-02-2006 11:02 PM
quote:
Also I have a side question...
I've been fiddling with the program my friend gave me to take clips off of my Big O dvds, but when I play the clips back (or even resave them into a more compressed format) the playback of the video is jerky but the audio is unaffected. Does anyone have any guesses as to what may be causing this?

It probably has to do with the interlacing on the Big O DVDs. There are software methods to work around this, but I found it much easier to use a TV capture card connected to a DVD player instead when I captured the video clips on this site.
Mr. Fortnight 10-03-2006 01:09 AM
At AnimeMusicVideos.org, they have several tutorials on how to make an AMV from the top, down.