Flyboys

Pygmalion 09-29-2006 08:43 AM
I am thinking about going to see Flyboys. I'm a sucker for dogfights, and the dirigible is the cherry on top.

Anyone else seen it? Is it as hopeless as Rotten Tomatoes makes it out to be?

Cheers,
Pygmalion
David Ryder 09-29-2006 09:04 AM
I've been hearing alot about this movie. They say it's a decent movie but the historical accuracy is lacking. For example Zepplins never flew during the day, as they would have been an easy target and as far as I know, no one stood on top shooting with a Vickers heavy machine gun, and then running across it as it blows up to jump to a plan coming to rescue them.
Travis Bickle 09-29-2006 09:31 AM
Dude, World War I was totally filled wtih zeppelins.
Paradigm Dog 09-29-2006 09:32 AM
I found it to be one of the best movies of the year along with Inside Man, The Illusionist, and V for Vendetta.

I don't know if it's terribly historically accurate, but it still delivers the accurate feeling of what it was like to fly in such primative planes in insane dogfights where even a stray bullet can kill. The presentation of trench warfare is a lot lighter than what it was, but this is about teh air fights more than the ground fights.

Flyboys is great fun: Excellent aerial action, fun characters, and the right mix of realistic grit and artistic exaggeration. The atmosphere takes you away. It has its share of cliches--most movies that follow the classic "Heroes Journey" format do--but they're all presented skillfully. There's also good drama and an innocent, old-fashioned, believably-presented love story to be found in Flyboys. The acting isn't necessarily Oscar-winning, but it's quite solid.

Bottom line: this is the movie the Fall needed, even if the critics want to crush it. Flyboys is the kind of rare, unexpected gem that makes it worth going to the theatre these days in my opinion. A fun, dramatic ride.
David Ryder 09-29-2006 09:35 AM
Yes, I'm well aware of the fact they where there, however, they rarely, if ever flew during the day. Total suicide mission. It also gets points for being a war movie based off of WWI.
Pygmalion 09-29-2006 09:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
Dude, World War I was totally filled wtih zeppelins.

As usual, Wikipedia has a decent brief article about zeppelins. They were excellent scout craft, but ineffective bombers -- though they did cause terror out of proportion to their effect.

And you're right, Gaddes: I knew from the trailer that I'd have to check my helium-head at the door. Guess I'll take that chance!

Pygmalion
Mike 09-29-2006 11:36 AM
I read a couple reviews, they agreed that the dogfights are amazing but everything else is plodding and slow. And the movie is about 20 minutes too long.
Instro 09-29-2006 03:37 PM
Go see it Pygmalion, you'll enjoy it. I'm very interested in anything WWI because my grandfather was in the U.S. Army then and fought in France. I saw the film and I give it two thumbs up!
Paradigm Dog 09-29-2006 11:08 PM
A lot of reviews claim it's "20 minutes too long," but I think that's kooky. You get caught up in the time frame, characters, action, and drama, and it never has that "plodding" feeling or feeling of being too long. Maybe it was too old-fashioned for the reviewers, who are used to the modern bang-zoom every second and a pacing that leaves zero room for even minute depth.
Pygmalion 09-30-2006 08:42 AM
Those who are interested in the history of WWI will find this site by the BBC of interest. I particularly like the animated map of the war; it made clear the relationship between battles and their locations.

quote:
Instro writes: I'm very interested in anything WWI because my grandfather was in the U.S. Army then and fought in France.

ACT's grandfather was a volunteer in the latter part of the war; having lied about his age to join, he'd show up at a unit to hear, "Get that kid out of here!" from the 19-year-old lieutenants. He wound up working with the horses and spent much of his enlistment in the Army of Occupation.

Pygmalion
Instro 10-01-2006 03:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
Those who are interested in the history of WWI will find this site by the BBC of interest. I particularly like the animated map of the war; it made clear the relationship between battles and their locations.

ACT's grandfather was a volunteer in the latter part of the war; having lied about his age to join, he'd show up at a unit to hear, "Get that kid out of here!" from the 19-year-old lieutenants. He wound up working with the horses and spent much of his enlistment in the Army of Occupation.

Pygmalion

That's a great web site, isn't it? I've gone there a lot to look at the content they have. Interesting about ACT's grandfather...unfortunately my grandfather (my father's father) wasn't so lucky...He went to France at 17 and encountered mustard gas several times at the front. The gas just shredded his lungs. By the age of 22, he was told by doctors that his lung capacity had been reduced to 25 percent because of the damage the gas had done. For the rest of his life, his ability to physically exert himself was seriously diminshed by his weak lungs. Just a short climb of stairs that wouldn't bother another man the same age, left him winded. I think the lung damage shortened his life, too. He died about 13 years before I was born, so I never knew him. Frown
Pygmalion 10-08-2006 10:36 AM
I went to see Flyboys Tuesday. Neither ACT nor the boys wanted to come, so I had a movie experience free of comment and complaint -- and there were only eight other people in the theater.

As a movie, I found it enjoyable as long as I carefully didn't think about the tactics. The location work was beautiful, and it is always a pleasure to see the amazingly primative planes of the period.

I'm not sure it's worth $6 (matinee prices have gone up again) to everyone, but I had a good time.

Pygmalion
Instro 10-10-2006 05:06 PM
Glad you enjoyed the movie. As you say, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you are interested in this period in history, it's a great flick.