Book Quotes

Yomiko 09-25-2006 12:26 PM
As the title suggests, posts your favorite quotes from books. This kind of thread sounds familar so sorry if its been done already.

For him that stealeth, or borrowth & not returneth not
this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in
his hand & rend him.
Let him be struck with palsy, & all his members blasted.
Let him languish in pain, crying aloud for mercy, & let
there be no surcease to this agony, till he sing in dissolution.
Let bookworms gnaw his entrails...& when at last he
goeth to his punishment, let the flames of hell consume
him for ever.

Curse on book thieves
from the monastery of San Pedro, Barcelona, Spain.

[pg. 45 in Inkheart by Cormelia Funke]
I loved this ever since I first read it all that time ago. I should put this in all my books.

"All we have to do is deside what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf the Grey, Lord of the Rings.
Travis Bickle 09-25-2006 12:33 PM
"And if Christ had died from a barbiturate overdose, alone on the bathroom floor, would He be in Heaven?"

-Palahniuk, Survivor
Revan 09-25-2006 01:00 PM
A slightly long one from H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds describing the when the martians first use their heat ray.

"Beyond the pit stood the little wedge of people with the white flag at it's apex, arrested by these phenomena, a little knot of small vertical black shapes upon the black ground. As the green smoke rose, their faces flashed out pallid green, and faded again as it vanished. The slowly the hissing passed into a humming, into a long, loud, droning noise. Slowly a humped shape rose out of the pit, and the ghost of a beam of light seemed to flicker out from it.

Forthwith flashes of actual flame, a bright glare leaping from one to another, sprang from the scattered group of men. It was as if some invisible jet impinged upon them and flashed into white flame. It was as if each man were suddenly and momentarily turned to fire."
Sharpshooter005 09-25-2006 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in the last one of these (or..similar ones, someone probably remembers it is my point). This is seemingly the litmus test for if someone will like this book, everyone I've showed it to who wound up not just rolling thier eyes or being revolted seemed to enjoy it alot.

"The way narrowed through rocks and by and by they came to a bush that was hung with dead babies. They stopped side by side, reeling in the heat. These small victims, seven, eight of them, had holes punched in their underjaws and were hung so by their throats from the broken stubs of a mesquite to stare eyeless at the naked sky." (p57)

-Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian: Or, the evening redness in the west

Theres a bunch of different parts I'd probably qualify more as my "favorite" quote(s) from that book but thats the only one I could find offhand in its entirety and I have no clue where I put the book. Also it's..more a passage than a quote I guess
Yomiko 09-26-2006 09:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
"The way narrowed through rocks and by and by they came to a bush that was hung with dead babies. They stopped side by side, reeling in the heat. These small victims, seven, eight of them, had holes punched in their underjaws and were hung so by their throats from the broken stubs of a mesquite to stare eyeless at the naked sky." (p57)

-Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian: Or, the evening redness in the west

Shocked *can't type anything*