Memories

Robot7290 09-23-2006 01:17 AM
Broad thread subject huh? Well, I've been thinking. If everying we see (or sense in other ways) goes through our eyes (or nose, ears, etc.) to our brain, does that mean everything we have ever seen is a memory? Because even if it takes nanoseconds for the image we see to reach our brain, and although it feels instantanious, woudn't it be a memory regardless?

Then this drives me to believe that everything we know, have known, and will ever know is a memory. I don't have much more to say, but I really want to hear what you guys think about it. I'm always open to having a theory debunked, it's just one more step torwards the truth.
The_Big_G 09-25-2006 01:09 PM
Wow Robot, interesting subject indeed...

I would answer your question: Yes, I agree! Everything you ever experience through your senses, as well as every idea, feeling and thought is already a memory at the moment of experience. Everything you are, even down to your DNA, and even the atoms that make up the Earth, your town, your house and your body form a complex memory. The moment an event occurs, is the moment that an enormously complex web of physical interactions which led up to that moment is “remembered”

In the context of Information Theory, the Universe itself is stored patterns of information. All of these stored patterns are memories. Everything is a memory. Not just our lives, egos and identities, but even the atomic components of our physical bodies are stored memories that trace their paths back to the Big Bang. It goes beyond the simple definition that memories are only electrochemical impulses in the human brain which recall specific stored sensory patterns.

We cannot predict the future in the same way that we cannot specifically trace the path of an individual atom’s quarks back to the Big Bang. It’s just far too complex to recall that a particular atom was in a specific location at a specific time, much in the same way that you can't remember what you were doing on March 26, 1991. But we can remember some specifics. By virtue that you know a carbon atom is in your body, you can “remember” that a carbon atom was created in a star and ejected by its supernova… that it drifted through space and eventually became part of our planet, absorbed in a plant, eaten by a cow, which was eaten and became part of a cell in a human body. We don't remember what star it came from, or whether we ate it in a big mac or we breathed it in as some carbon dioxide. In that way, that memory is vague and imperfect...but in this context, your very physical existence is a memory of the history of every atom in your body.

We're used to processing memories on a far more complex and associative level. What we've seen and where we've been are only the beginning of the concept of what a memory truly is.
Ionexchange 09-25-2006 07:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robot7290
Then this drives me to believe that everything we know, have known, and will ever know is a memory. I don't have much more to say, but I really want to hear what you guys think about it. I'm always open to having a theory debunked, it's just one more step torwards the truth.

Memories are by nature unreliable. They degenerate in the confrodulant of peoples' mind. People create these stories so called memories. --- Alex Rosewatter, Act 25

quote:
Originally posted by The_Big_G
Everything you are, even down to your DNA, and even the atoms that make up the Earth, your town, your house and your body form a complex memory.

These tomatoes are created syntheticly, with the memories of their sweet flavor. If repeat this process enough times, they will become the accual thing. --- Alex Rosewatter, Act 12
ScionofDestiny 09-27-2006 08:56 AM
quote:
These tomatoes are created syntheticly, with the memories of their sweet flavor. If repeat this process enough times, they will become the accual thing. --- Alex Rosewatter, Act 12

I think Gordon Rosewater meant that if they kept on cloning people prior to forty years ago, then eventually they would get the real deal once more (aka, Roger).

Memories are something found in the human Form.

I could delve into Platonic philosophy regarding memories, but I don't have enough time. Maybe later.