Baby Bang experiment could open door to new dimension

R.Smith 09-21-2006 02:54 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cf...jectid=10400645

quote:
Quote:
Monday September 11, 2006

Deep underground on the Franco-Swiss border, someone will throw a switch next year to start one of the most ambitious experiments in history, probing the secrets of the universe and possibly finding new dimensions.

The Large Hadron Collider - a 27km-long circular particle accelerator at the CERN experimental facility near Geneva, will smash protons into one another at unimaginable speeds trying to replicate in miniature the events of the Big Bang.

"These beams will have the kinetic energy of an aircraft carrier slammed into the size of a zero on a 20p piece," Brian Cox of Manchester University told the annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

"We are going to make mini Big Bangs.

"There has never been such a jump in particle physics. It will go into an area that we don't really understand," he added.

The fundamental goal of the massive machine is to answer the basic but crucial question of how matter was created at the birth of the universe.

"We don't know what 95 per cent of the universe is made of - which is a bit embarrassing for a subject that claims to be fundamental," Dr Cox said.

"There is dark matter. It is all over the place but we have no idea what it is."

"There is also something called dark energy, and that is an even bigger question.

"It makes up about 70 per cent of the energy in the universe, but again we have absolutely no idea what it is.

"It is an incredibly exciting machine. It will be turned on next year and run for at least a decade and probably 20 years and the first results - if the machine behaves itself - should start coming out within a year," he added.

If the theories are correct, the machine will create tiny black holes that evaporate and possibly even find particles that offer evidence that the three dimensions known to mankind are just a fraction of those that exist.

"That would be an even bigger headline than the black holes. It could be that there is a whole new universe a millimetre away from our heads but at right-angles to the three dimensions that are here," Dr Cox said.

"That would be a real paradigm shift - our relegation to a little sheet in a multi-dimensional universe.

"That kind of thing is really profound and will capture the imagination that perhaps the origin of mass won't, although it should.

"For the first time in many decades we have built a machine that exceeds our powers of prediction.

"New processes are bound to be discovered. We are truly journeying into unknown territory."

Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into the unknown and creating tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the planet.

"The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus 40," he said.

MINI BANGS
  • Scientists aim to reproduce miniature versions of the so-called Big Bang, which is thought to have started the universe.

• To do this they will smash protons together at huge speeds along a 27km tube known as a particle accelerator.

• They hope to create tiny black holes or find extra dimensions in the universe.

• They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low.

• The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000 chance.

- REUTERS

I think this is really interesting and it's also nice to know they feel the chance of this thing killing us all is really slim.

But as Rattrap once said, "We're all gonna die."
Chitter-Box-Kat 09-21-2006 05:13 AM
Holy sh*t, I never thought I'd see the day. Shocked Seriously, all this time I have watched butt-loads of animes with thier own worlds, and now we might find some real alternate universes from our own. And make little black holes that are harmless.

Now all they have to do is find one alien, and rock brains around the world.
Generalissimo D 09-21-2006 06:19 AM
No.
Travis Bickle 09-21-2006 08:22 AM
They know what's going to happen, and they know why they're doing it.

They want to open a dimensional portal and bring Cthulhu through.

I like how they say it has a small chance of killing everyone, though. That sounds like a plus.
Sharpshooter005 09-21-2006 09:38 AM
Run the antimass spectrometer at 150%

Mike 09-21-2006 10:51 AM
Oh come on, what are the chances of even seeing a resonance cascade, let alone creating one?

...but yeah, they were doing this at Brookhaven a couple years ago and it didn't bring about the apocalypse then, either.
Ace of Spades 09-21-2006 10:56 AM
Better get to the Nerd Bombshelter. Yeah.... we're gonna die.
088nd 09-21-2006 12:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

holy sh**.
evanASF27 09-21-2006 12:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Oh come on, what are the chances of even seeing a resonance cascade, let alone creating one?

...but yeah, they were doing this at Brookhaven a couple years ago and it didn't bring about the apocalypse then, either.

Scientists in the Manhattan Project were worried that the nuclear bomb would ignite the atmosphere of the Earth with its energy in an uncontrolable run-away reaction.

The odds of it destroying the earth are slim to none...but it could always just explode Big Grin

Very interesting article there, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Sharpshooter005 09-21-2006 01:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Whatever happened with that? I vaguely remember hearing about it, is this just the same experiment on a larger scale or did the last one not provide much in the way of results.
David Ryder 09-21-2006 02:52 PM
sounds interesting. Nice find.

Edit: It's funny Sci-fi made one of their original movies based off of something very similar to this, a few months ago.
The Baker St. Irregular 09-21-2006 02:56 PM
Gotta die of something. I'm all for mass extinction due to raping the time-space continuum. Pleased

But really. I doubt if this whole thing will even work at all, although I do find it a very exciting prospect, nonetheless. Human ingenuity plods on, as I say! We have our extraordinary wills at our disposal, so why not try and get as much out of as we can?
Generalissimo D 09-21-2006 04:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
They know what's going to happen, and they know why they're doing it.

They want to open a dimensional portal and bring Cthulhu through.

I like how they say it has a small chance of killing everyone, though. That sounds like a plus.

If theres any frog plagues soon, I'm hopping the first flight into space.
Big Money 09-21-2006 04:34 PM
Isn't this on the list of things science fiction has taught us never to do?
paul1290 09-21-2006 04:52 PM
quote:
Isn't this on the list of things science fiction has taught us never to do?

Look at it this way:

We are FAR more likely to die from an meteor hitting the earth then we are to die from this machine creating a black hole.

In fact, on the list of events that may cause the end of the world, I highly doubt this is even makes the top 10.

There are MANY other things that are much more likely to bring about the end of the world than this experiment.

Good thing they finally got the Large Hadron Collider up and running. I was almost sure they would run out of money first.

Particle Accelerators are my favorite tool of science because they represent how far some are willing to go to seek knowledge just for the sake of learning. We live in an age where we only seek knowledge that is of practical use to us and we are slowly losing our curiosity about the universe around us. Hopefully this project will remind people of how important the quest for knowledge really is.
Shadow dorothy 09-21-2006 05:21 PM
It's not possible. They'll blow themselfs up. The atoms would split with the force and it will destroy everything with 50 miles will blow-up.
Sharpshooter005 09-21-2006 06:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow dorothy
The atoms would split with the force and it will destroy everything with 50 miles will blow-up.

Well that can't be good for the property values.
Volt 09-21-2006 06:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

I can't wait for the part with the Ichtyosaurs.
Buck Buck #1 09-21-2006 07:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
There are MANY other things that are much more likely to bring about the end of the world than this experiment.

Yeah, like aliens. Those guys will get ya.
paul1290 09-21-2006 07:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow dorothy
It's not possible. They'll blow themselfs up. The atoms would split with the force and it will destroy everything with 50 miles will blow-up.

Nuclear reactions happen in particle accelerators all the time, but the amount of matter going through the accelerator at any one time is too small to fuel the reaction to the point where it can cause damage.

It's like a lighter without fuel. You can make sparks but there's nothing for the sparks to burn.