Paradigm City Whippersnappers Or, Not Another n00b Thread

Nine Kuze 09-20-2006 11:34 AM
I'm bored at the moment and I've been thinking about this for a while, since I have a couple of stories relating to Paradigm City that I want to write about later on. If I can ever convince myself that I ever have the time that is.

Anyway, getting down to it, throughout The Big O series we are mostly seeing how life in Paradigm City is through the eyes of older citizens. Such as the senior citizens who founded Paradigm City or men around the age of Roger, Beck, and Dastun. True, we got a glimpse of the younger citizens in the city but never a detailed look at them at all. But I guess that was because they were done in by R.D. at Alex Rosewater's request.

Since a large number of the members here at PCF are in the age group that is just recently starting college or still in high school (or hell, even younger than that), I was just wondering what you think the life of a person at your age would be like in an enviroment such as Paradigm City. Or if you're not in those age groups, how about going in the direction on how you think you would interact yourself in the city of Paradigm? Just something to think about and have some fun at it.
Peace.
Gummibear 09-20-2006 09:05 PM
Intriguing thread...

I'm going to start college next year. I don't imagine living in Paradigm would be any different that living here in my hometown. It's really all I know up to this point. Most of the younger citizens of Paradigm probably lead very mundane, normal lives (bar the fact that they live in the last civilized place on the planet...as far as they know). Teens probably go to high school, then to college and eventually grown up and end up working for Paradigm Corp. Each person has their own struggles to deal with. Seeing as how they are human, they probably deal with the same social pressures that we do. They aren't thinking on a large scale, in terms of where they live. They probably don't ask questions either.

I'd imagine that one great difference is that there really is no place the young people can go to "spread their wings" they really don't have a great many options. They probably go to school with the exact same people they've known their whole life and grow up and get a job. I'm sure that there are places that young people get out and divert themselves. I'm sure like any teen or young adult they hang out with friends and go to the mall or movies.
Generalissimo D 09-20-2006 09:36 PM
Hi ho, hi ho, to the Nightingale this goes.

(For shame, Nine.)
Nine Kuze 09-21-2006 01:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
Hi ho, hi ho, to the Nightingale this goes.

(For shame, Nine.)

Why did this get moved to the Nightingale?

Ha! It got moved back. Take that, D. Take that.
Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 09-21-2006 07:02 PM
Ah, what the hell. I could see myself. I guess.

I'd be the daughter of a working class family. My mom would run a music store. My dad would be a mechanic. And I would be apprenticed under both of them. I would be able to play the violin and fix up androids and machines.

My friends and I would be seniors in high school, considering our possible future careers. One would be dreaming of being a military police officer, while the other would work for the military police as a detective. I would be undecided and ponder if it would be more worthy to be a good mechanic or a good musician.

Then of course, one day I'd be passing through the city on a mechanized scooter I made myself on an erand from my dad. As I near the destination, I see this dude run out of a store. I get a clear veiw of his face, and then I'd hear gun shots. Two more guys run out of the store and an middle-aged dude runs out onto the street. Next thing I know, the military police are on the scene and I'm being called as a witness to a robbery of a high-end jewler shop.

The owner would call up Roger Smith, because the items stolen were essentially gold and diamonds. I get to talk to him a bit and give details on the main suspect. The case woud be resolved susscessfuly, and I would go back to my daily life with a cool story to tell my friends.

Ordiany as sin. And it only took me five minutes to think up. Tongue
Dangerous 09-22-2006 04:27 AM
I would be a foreigner. Maybe a cabdriver. This one who got shot in act 13. Big Grin
Revan 09-22-2006 11:56 AM
After leaving school I'd probably get a mundane job that I'm too good for on the bottom floor of the Paradigm Corp. The poverty that many citizens face may be an obstacle to me moving up the ranks. However I'd work hard to improve my prospects and make progress in the end.

The whole 'event' 40 years ago would probably fascinate me, I can imagine myself sitting at my window at night, thinking and looking out to the desert beyond...
Nine Kuze 09-30-2006 02:48 PM
Thanks for some of your replies everybody.

Going from what was seen of Paradigm City in the series, there doesn't really seem to be a place of kids in the age group. But I also find it cool to see that some of you see a place for that age group in Paradigm, such as going to a high school or rather college.

That poses an interesting question I suppose. I know it wasn't even glanced at but does Paradigm City have some sort schooling system? I guees it depends and matters on who remembers what and what to teach.

Kind of what Revan was going on (or at least in that particular direction), would the life of a teenager be different depending on if they lived in one of the domes of Paradigm or outside the domes? I suppose it would since everything we've seen already regarding how life is lived in The Big O is greatly different depending if the citizens live outside the domes or inside them. I guess it helps that Alex Rosewater refuses to even see anything outside the domes as a part of Paradigm City but how do you think kids at that specific age would live either inside or outside the domes?
Peace.
minespatch 09-30-2006 06:23 PM
i'd probably be a high school student who draws cartoons while still having good academics. my mother just like in real life would be the owner of a general mercantile and my father would be writing stories just like he does in real life.
Revan 10-01-2006 07:49 AM
quote:
Originally Posted by Nine XXVI
Kind of what Revan was going on (or at least in that particular direction), would the life of a teenager be different depending on if they lived in one of the domes of Paradigm or outside the domes? I suppose it would since everything we've seen already regarding how life is lived in The Big O is greatly different depending if the citizens live outside the domes or inside them.

That sums up what I was trying to say. Perhaps my paradigm life was a bit depressing (I was feeling a bit low at the time of posting) but in the show there are a lot of run-down and deprived areas/people, so I guess I was trying to give maybe a more realistic portrayal.

In the domes the young people probably have it made, with a good education, financial security from their parents and regularly sneaking out to the Nightingale! Big Grin