Roger's age?

The Lexx 09-19-2006 04:35 AM
Somehow I got the impression that roger was well below 40 years of age, so one wonders how Norman Berg could have been caring for him since before everyone lost their memories 40 years ago.

Likewise the young roger shaking hands with Gordon Rosewater as the done was being built in the background needs some explaining too given roger's apparent age.
Nazrael 09-19-2006 05:21 AM
Roger is only 25.

The mystery is whether or not there was another Roger before him.
Valdoom 09-19-2006 03:32 PM
this only helps to prove that most animes never make sense!
as for the Roger in the pic...

HE LOOKS EXACTALLY THE SAME!!!
Gordon Rosewater is old and everything I'd say 40-50, but Roger looks the same! I know Roger is 25, but he looks 30ish-35ish.
Ano Hito 09-19-2006 04:30 PM
It's a different Roger. The Roger we know and love is a recreation of another Roger long since gone, or in one interesting theory, is Norman.
Nazrael 09-19-2006 05:22 PM
Norman can't be Roger.

Norman is 57, the photograph was taken some time before the Incident. Norman would've been 17 when everyone lost their memories, much too young to be a negotiator, or to be any type of profession.

There's also the chance that the photograph could have been entirely fabricated.
ZeroKirbyX 09-19-2006 06:30 PM
Yeah, its mainly whether or nbot it was him, but if there were more of him. When Big Fau tosses him into the ocean, he gets the image of himself drowned in the Big-O, then there's the whole tomatos and the Roger production line and such.

I just noticed Rosewater's hair is off balance now... And it really bugs me...
Valdoom 09-19-2006 07:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nazrael
Norman can't be Roger.

Norman is 57, the photograph was taken some time before the Incident. Norman would've been 17 when everyone lost their memories, much too young to be a negotiator, or to be any type of profession.

There's also the chance that the photograph could have been entirely fabricated.

No it was taken shortly after during the Founding of Paradigm(thus the Paradigm Dome being constructed in the background)
Nazrael 09-19-2006 07:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Valdoom
quote:
Norman can't be Roger.

No it was taken shortly after during the Founding of Paradigm(thus the Paradigm Dome being constructed in the background)

Gordon referred to the Roger in the photo as "Roger Smith" not "Norman Burg".
Gummibear 09-19-2006 08:58 PM
Thinking about it...I think 25 is almost too young. I know that's his age but I can't help but wonder why they didn't make him older (like 30). I mean Roger has gathered some renown as a negotiator in Paradigm, but is it feasible that Roger in the short period of time between being an Lieutenant in the Military police to being a negotiator he could have gained such prestige in his profession?

I would assume he would have entered the MP at around 18 (after high school) he probably had two years of academy. Then to attain the rank of lieutenant I would imagine that took a little time. It's possible he just has natural talent as a negotiator and hit the ground running. I don't know, I just have nothing better to do really, but yeah I don't think his age suits him. Just a thought.
ZeroKirbyX 09-19-2006 09:23 PM
Maybe he was known as an expert negotiator for the force when he was still a liutenant? Then once he broke off from the force he already had a name as a negotiator and people then wanted to hire him.
Nazrael 09-20-2006 05:21 AM
It must be pretty easy to become the best negotiator when you're the only one in town. Tongue
Gummibear 09-20-2006 07:59 AM
quote:
It must be pretty easy to become the best negotiator when you're the only one in town. Tongue

True.
Valdoom 09-20-2006 03:28 PM
quote:

now that we know the anwser to the profession question, lets get back to the orignal question, what's with Roger's age?

I thought about it and I think were going to heve to go toward the fact that in act...like 22-26(not sure) Roger imagines a factory building Rogers. This and other clues like the picture, and the catacyism 40 years ago leads me to beleive that Paradigm is on some kind of weird reset. Not a perfect reset mind you, but in the first and final episodes in the first and final 30 seconds they show the same broken down old clock tower. I know this doesn't sound perfect, it's not, but this is all the proof I could put together as of far.
David Ryder 09-20-2006 03:53 PM
Roger's 24-25, I do believe.
Jixie 09-20-2006 07:58 PM
It is a big anime trend to have characters be way younger than they look and act. I can't count how many times I've seen "XXX is 16 and YYY is 17 years old" when there's no way they're under 20-some.

Roger does not act, does not look 25. Despite his cannon age, I would venture to guess he's in his early 30's. At the youngest, late 20's (28-29?). Norman in his 60's (cannon: 54). Dastun is 47 which sounds about right. Angel at 26, which I can see around that age, maybe a little older. Another anime theme (*cough*cliche) there: the sexy-but-slightly-dangerous woman is a year or two older than the hero. It's like they can't figure out that if having her be older to add to the 'forbidden' aspect, she actually needs to be... yanno.. older.

I'll go a little backwards on Dorothy. Her cannon age is 18, as in, the body she's modeled after is supposed to be 18. But I think she looks even less physically mature than that, and would've guessed 16 - 17. (Reminder: age of consent in Japan is 14. Roger's issues with Dorothy are more robot and less underage.)

~J
Nazrael 09-20-2006 08:16 PM
Well, Roger is highly intellectual and came from a wealthy adoptive family. So it's not all that uncommon to say he might've finished school early, maybe at 17. Same with the academy. Unlike the real military, the police force is only made up of one city, not a nation. Roger's rise in ranks would probably easy due to this, not to mention his determination and will. I think a safe bet for his leaving would be around 23. That would mean he's been a negotiator for about 2 years.

That seems pretty fair. Especially since clients are always making comments like, "I hear you're the best negotiator." Roger probably only worked on small cases for the first year,outside of the domes. This would explain why he isn't known very well to his wealthy dome-dwelling clients.

I've always thought Dorothy looked a little older than 18, to tell the truth.
Gummibear 09-20-2006 08:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jixie
It is a big anime trend to have characters be way younger than they look and act. I can't count how many times I've seen "XXX is 16 and YYY is 17 years old" when there's no way they're under 20-some.

~J

Yeah, agreed. Anime characters do tend to be A LOT younger than they should be. It's probably just easier for them to market the characters if they are younger. Even though I'd prefer Roger was in his late twenties, early thirties for story sake. I understand he may be the best negotiator in Paradigm but he's just too polished to be a kid in his mid-twenties.

I think that's what they tried to go for with Angel was the whole "dangerous" older woman but it doesn't work with a character like Roger. Roger is a pretty sophisticated character, he doesn't give the impression of naivety. In fact Angel actually does act twenty-six whereas Roger acts much older. It's probably why a lot of people love the dynamic between Roger and Dorothy. Dorothy acts older than her "age" she matches or even surpasses Roger intellectually (could be because she's an android...but still). I don't think she looks older than a girl in her mid to late teens but she her demeanor and personality resemble a woman well above her age. It could be because she was programed that way. Dorothy Wayneright in her lifetime was probably very well-to-do, very sophisticated, and "prodigal" child.
Dominus of Requiem 09-20-2006 08:51 PM
i have a theory
if there where technology highly advanced cuz of all the megadeuses
is it posible that there where AI( irtificial inteligence)
like vash and knives?