Reaction to reading.

Yomiko 09-18-2006 02:01 PM
If you have, what kinds of reacting do you people have to reading? Do you yeall or talk back, get goosebumps, cry, etc.

Or in the other way, how do you react to people trying to talk to you while you are reading something good?
Chitter-Box-Kat 09-18-2006 03:32 PM
I react to books in alot of ways. Sometimes I laugh loudy at scenes, like in comedy stories. Sometimes I'm brought to torrents of tears like with the sixth Harry Potter book. I'll imagine scenes of my own creation with characters from books. And I've even felt sorrow, empathy and compasion for certain characters. Like Chiristopher Carrion from the "Abarat" series. And more than a few times, I've felt a pit in my stomach as I read on.

But when people disturb me when I'm really into a book... I get pissed. I'll growl, yell, hiss, swing at them... I get violent. Roll Eyes I think I'll make a "Do Not Disturb" sign for my door when I have a new, good book. Something like:

Reading New Book Now.
Do Not Disturb The Kitty.
Or Else You Will Die.

Or something like that.
Yomiko 09-20-2006 04:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
I react to books in alot of ways. Sometimes I laugh loudy at scenes, like in comedy stories. Sometimes I'm brought to torrents of tears like with the sixth Harry Potter book. I'll imagine scenes of my own creation with characters from books. And I've even felt sorrow, empathy and compasion for certain characters. Like Chiristopher Carrion from the "Abarat" series. And more than a few times, I've felt a pit in my stomach as I read on.

But when people disturb me when I'm really into a book... I get pissed. I'll growl, yell, hiss, swing at them... I get violent. Roll Eyes I think I'll make a "Do Not Disturb" sign for my door when I have a new, good book. Something like:

Reading New Book Now.
Do Not Disturb The Kitty.
Or Else You Will Die.

Or something like that.

I'll laugh too, espally in mangas. I was crying too when I read that part in Harry Potter, I was bummed for the rest of the day. Frown I've read Abarat but I just can't quite remember him. Sweatdrop

Sometimes I'll get annoyed when people try to talk to me, espally when they ask what its about. Its hard for me to give just the right kind of info for it. A friend on Gaia says he gets nasty when people try to talk to him when he reads.
I like that sign, you make a small one to carry with you so if you are in a public palce you can put it out so people know not to tlak to you. Big Grin

Thank you for posting. Big Grin
Mr. Fortnight 09-20-2006 04:18 PM
I have an Attic room, so it's easy to sequester myself when I feel the need for some quality time with a book. That, and no one really bothers me, so I haven't had to get all grumpy.
ZeroKirbyX 09-20-2006 05:11 PM
I usually just ignore them, eventually telling em to shut up and hold on.
The Baker St. Irregular 09-22-2006 05:39 PM
I pride myself on being able to vividly visualize what I'm reading as I'm reading. Pleased So I've been having a blast reading Sherlock Holmes as I commute on the very noisy L train to school.
Generalissimo D 09-22-2006 05:50 PM
I can read through things quickly, and sometimes I do if I'm in a hurry to plow through the damn thing, but usually I take my time to savor each and every word.

Also, I do laugh when reading something particularily humorous.
pen1300 09-22-2006 09:04 PM
Hm...my reaction while reading have been varied. I've felt empathy. I've gotten sad, but I don't think I've cried. I have talked out which resulted in mum going "what are you talking about?" I've laughed.

Some books can really get to me though. For example, when I read the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I had to put the book down. Actually, when I read I, Corriander earlier this week, I grew so angry at the abuse that I had to put the book down and walk away from it for a while. I love books in that I like to get lost in them.

Now, when others talk to me while reading, it's like "Let me get to the end of the chapter!" I have my own room here at college so I just close the door and read. I also have two rooms at home and they are upstairs, so I can read without being bothered (except by cats). Sometimes I miss what someone says because I'm so enraptured by a book.

Later,
Pen1300
Yomiko 09-25-2006 12:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
I pride myself on being able to vividly visualize what I'm reading as I'm reading. Pleased So I've been having a blast reading Sherlock Holmes as I commute on the very noisy L train to school.

I have that kind of pride too. Pleased I think I read one Sherlock Holmes, it was the Hound of Baskerviles, it was pretty good. Reading on the bus (or train) is a good way to past the time if you are surround by brats and you are the oldest on the bus exept for the driver.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
I can read through things quickly, and sometimes I do if I'm in a hurry to plow through the damn thing, but usually I take my time to savor each and every word.

Also, I do laugh when reading something particularily humorous.

I read fast yet I can get everything out of them. Altough when I read a textbook more normal paced, not too much gets in. Sweatdrop

quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Some books can really get to me though. For example, when I read the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I had to put the book down. Actually, when I read I, Corriander earlier this week, I grew so angry at the abuse that I had to put the book down and walk away from it for a while. I love books in that I like to get lost in them.

I don't think I'ver read a part where I've gotten mad at it and had to walk away.
Nine Kuze 09-25-2006 02:01 PM
When I read, I like to visually see my story as I go along. Like watching a movie of sorts. If something is really good, I like to re-read that caption over a again a couple of times to get a good feel for it and to see if I can perfectly display it in my head as I can from just reading the caption.

I'm pretty good and ignoring and focusing out surrounding noises around me all the time, so I don't let people distract me all too much when I'm reading a book. A lot of times, I read books at bookstores and I'm able to concentrate solely on the book while at the same time, paying attention to surrounding sounds around me.

At times, when the books is good enough to warrant it, I will react out loud like a laugh, or a "DAMN!", or with a surprised and interesting reaction. But I don't think I've ever cried when reading a book. Unless that's possible to do when James Bond is killing somebody after a dry martini.
Peace.
Yomiko 09-26-2006 09:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
When I read, I like to visually see my story as I go along. Like watching a movie of sorts. If something is really good, I like to re-read that caption over a again a couple of times to get a good feel for it and to see if I can perfectly display it in my head as I can from just reading the caption.

I'm pretty good and ignoring and focusing out surrounding noises around me all the time, so I don't let people distract me all too much when I'm reading a book. A lot of times, I read books at bookstores and I'm able to concentrate solely on the book while at the same time, paying attention to surrounding sounds around me.

At times, when the books is good enough to warrant it, I will react out loud like a laugh, or a "DAMN!", or with a surprised and interesting reaction. But I don't think I've ever cried when reading a book. Unless that's possible to do when James Bond is killing somebody after a dry martini.
Peace.

I like it when I'm reading its like I'm watching a movie, so sometimes I think I'll say "I'm going to watch -----" when I mean I'm going to read ---.
Noices are easier to block out then people because people won't go away if you aren't responding, they'll just keep asking.