FMA Conqueror of Shamballa: Movie Discussion

Gummibear 09-13-2006 04:25 PM
I know there is a thread discussing the theatrical release of the movie but it's a little hazy as to whether or not this would be considered a double post ( if it is...sorry)

Just yesterday Sept. 12, 2006 the FMA movie was released in North America. I ran out to go get a copy. The film was very well done, a change in tone from the series overall. There were several things that just outright surprised me.

*SPOILERS*
spoiler (highlight to read):
Since I don't really feel like writing it all out I'll just bullet the things that caught my attention.

1. First of all, I was so happy to see Hughes alive; not so happy that they made him a Nazi! I'm still pretty shocked that they went in that direction. At the very least he atoned for it at the end. It's hard to forget that Hughes isn't the same person in the parallel world. It was cute to see him and his wife together at the end.
  2. Okay, so I liked the fact that we got to see some familiar faces in the parallel world. Fritz was pretty interesting, sort of hard to detach him from his hummunculus, though.
  3. I was a little disapointed that they had Noa as a love interest ( not that I didn't like her) I guess I was just rooting for Ed & Roze! I know a lot of Edwin fans were upset that there really wasn't any romance (and Roy/Riza fans for that matter) but I'm pretty okay without it. That was never the point of the story to begin with, it's refreshing. Plus, I guess there's always FANFICS! ^.^
  4. I enjoyed the story overall. It's interesting to see Ed in Germany during the 1920's.
  5. CAN'T believe Al & Ed won't be going back home for good (even though I guess there new home is now on this side of the gate. Felt really bad for poor Winry, she was pretty much left all alone! I'm not a huge Edwin fan but still they were like family. *tear*

So there...discuss!
Nine Kuze 09-13-2006 04:35 PM
Cool to see I'm not the only one rooting for an Edward and Rose matchup. Alphonse pretty much as Winry locked up and Rose seems better fit for Edward anyway. Now, if he can only do something with the kid.

- I haven't seen the whole movie but I've seen parts and a lil- somethin'-somethin'.
- Yeah, I didn't like how Edward and Alphonse are in this world as well. They need to be in their world with their alchemy.
- Izumi dying before the movie takes places sucks.
- I never really liked the whole "Envy's true form is a dragon", as opposed to the manga which is amazing, but how he killed Hohenheim was something else. That's a lot of blood he was packing.
- Hughes is a Nazi? That's hilarious.

That's all I got for the moment. At first when I read some spoilers last year and the movie, I wasn't really feeling it. But now, although I haven't seen the whole thing, I like the anime more and it looks decent in my book.
Peace.
NVWC2006 09-13-2006 10:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

- I never really liked the whole "Envy's true form is a dragon", as opposed to the manga which is amazing, but how he killed Hohenheim was something else. That's a lot of blood he was packing.

That's all I got for the moment. At first when I read some spoilers last year and the movie, I wasn't really feeling it. But now, although I haven't seen the whole thing, I like the anime more and it looks decent in my book.
Peace.

I haven't seen it in english yet, but what I understood from seeing it w/subs was that, that isn't Envy's 'true form.' When Envy passed through the gate, he kept changing into different forms, the last one we see is a big dragon. When he's on the other side, just as Ed can't perform alchemy, neither can Envy transform, so he's just stuck like that. I don't think it's his true form, just one he randomly picked.

Yeah, that WAS alot of blood.
Nine Kuze 09-15-2006 10:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

Peace.

I haven't seen it in english yet, but what I understood from seeing it w/subs was that, that isn't Envy's 'true form.' When Envy passed through the gate, he kept changing into different forms, the last one we see is a big dragon. When he's on the other side, just as Ed can't perform alchemy, neither can Envy transform, so he's just stuck like that. I don't think it's his true form, just one he randomly picked.

Yeah, that WAS alot of blood.

That's a very good point, NVWC2006 and a very good perspective on things as well. I and others have always assumed that Envy's real form (when he was created by Hohenheim) was that of the dragon we last see him in the series. But now that you got me thinkin' about it, that kind of seems stupid to have him morph into a dragon for no reason. One thing I felt that was lacking from the FMA series was the confrontation between Envy and Hohenheim and its there in the movie but still, it doesn't have the same impact as say Envy in his true human form would if he confronted Edward and Hohenheim in the movie.
Peace.