What pisses me off.

088nd 09-11-2006 03:07 PM
So today, walking around campus, I see a huge demonstration on the stairs of some old building. I paused to check it out, and see what the fuss was all about. As I edged to the front of the crowd, I saw what I thought I might see today. Disciples of the "Loose Change" video. It really irked me to see them standing up there and just spouting their views on the government and American society on the day so many lives were lost. I don't care if you believe in what that movie says, and I do realize the fact that they have the right to express their views. But it almost seems to me like they're making a mockery of the victims and family of the victims by trying to throw around a political agenda on the 5th anniversary of this event. What do you guys think about this? Am I just overreacting.

Oh, and don't debate the Loose Change movie, I don't want this thread to be full of sh**.
Mike 09-11-2006 03:15 PM
...loose change? Never heard of it.

What pisses me off more is how the amazing solidarity the world showed immediately afterwards was totally lost so quickly.
David Ryder 09-11-2006 03:16 PM
Ah sounds like more of the same old collage kids with way to much free time to complain about something worth wild.

Also I don't think I have ever heard of that Loose Change movie you mentioned.
Big Money 09-11-2006 03:26 PM
There's an element of tact missing from protests nowadays that would lend an aweful lot of credibility to the respective causes of the respective protests were it included. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it right then, right there. Though perhaps these people were trying to take advantage of the occasion to get their point accross (I don't know the movie you mentioned), the point is is that they were taking advantage of it, and using other people's emotions to try and spread their cause, which is an ethical no-no. Besides, making people angry can't be that helpful, you know?

This is the same issue I have with the ACLU.
088nd 09-11-2006 03:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
There's an element of tact missing from protests nowadays that would lend an aweful lot of credibility to the respective causes of the respective protests were it included. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it right then, right there. Though perhaps these people were trying to take advantage of the occasion to get their point accross (I don't know the movie you mentioned), the point is is that they were taking advantage of it, and using other people's emotions to try and spread their cause, which is an ethical no-no. Besides, making people angry can't be that helpful, you know?

This is the same issue I have with the ACLU.

Exactly. I have no problem with them believing it, or even trying to advance their cause. But it just seems like a terrible day to do it.

quote:
...loose change? Never heard of it.

It's an internet documentary speculating that 9/11 was actually caused by the Government.
Mike 09-11-2006 03:42 PM
CAUSED by the government? No. But I do believe that there were a lot of warnings that were ignored, not out of any kind of malice, but because they just didn't think it was serious. Oops.
NVWC2006 09-11-2006 03:53 PM
Eh I've heard about Loose Change.

There are two outlooks on this.

one is probably their POV, that it is this day that they must speak most of all, because if the govt were responsible then they shouldn't be acting all solemn and sad, and that it is their duty to expose the truth when the lies are being shown at their strongest.

i'm guessing that.

since i completely disagree with it, i can't say that's what they're thinking or why they would act.

otherwise... yes. they need some tact. as far as i can tell the only other group that's put anything out that's anti-America on THIS day, are the terrorists, who just want to do what their name says... cause terror, and fear. so they're kinda making themselves seem low by the view of just about any american, i would think.

and they don't care, cause they'd think the terrorists are all fake or something.

it's kinda hard to grasp the ideas of a group who you share no common belief or understand with, whatsoever *scratches head*
Travis Bickle 09-11-2006 07:43 PM
People conform to any radical idea just to look cool and fit in. That's why we have so many goddamn religions and sects.
Generalissimo D 09-11-2006 07:52 PM
Motherf***ers can't let me go on in peace, and henceforth deserve a firey death.
Gato Gurl914 09-11-2006 08:42 PM
Sadly, a lot of stuff like this happens when it's supposed to be a day of rememberence. Take protesters at soldier's funerals for example.
Hollow XXVI 09-11-2006 09:15 PM
My favorite is when they post up giant pictures of dead fetusi, and they're always conveniently far into term and have general baby-like features.

Of course with those I just walk up and study them, and if any of the psychos approach me I say something like "Can I take this home with me to hang on my bedroom ceiling?"
088nd 09-11-2006 09:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nightmare
My favorite is when they post up giant pictures of dead fetusi, and they're always conveniently far into term and have general baby-like features.

Of course with those I just walk up and study them, and if any of the psychos approach me I say something like "Can I take this home with me to hang on my bedroom ceiling?"

They aren't the same people.

And to repeat myself, I'm not saying their views are wrong, or they're crazy, but that it's a terrible day to do it.
Dude Love 09-11-2006 10:34 PM
Unfortunately, it's also the day that their protests are most relevant. Much like moments of silence, the annual ceremony at Ground Zero, and even the special on ABC Primetime of the Children of 9/11 (in which my friend's little sister appeared) are applicable on/around 9/11, the same applies to protests. It may be tactless, but it's the best way to get noticed. It sucks, dude, but the best way to deal with these things is to set up right across from them and hold a ceremony of remembrance.
Sharpshooter005 09-12-2006 11:46 AM
quote:
they're crazy

No they are. Their response to popular science debunking pretty much all of these claims (one of which involved something along the lines of a hidden MISSILE POD ON THE WING OF ONE OF THE PLANES) was to begin saying popular science was somehow covertly being run by the shadow government.

Oh then theres the faction that says it's some sort of global jewish conspiracy. At best they're just wrong, at worst they're nuts...well actually no, at worst they're nuts who already were loons but decided 9/11 would somehow figure into their preexisting theories.
Mike 09-12-2006 12:01 PM
There was that guy who said no airplane hit the Pentagon, that it was a bomb we set off. And he got his ass kicked by all the people driving by on the highway who SAW THE PLANE SMACK INTO IT.

And the people who said the plane in PA was shot down. Which is kinda understandable since the debris was spread way the hell out, but a big metal thing hitting the ground at like 400 miles an hour is gonna do that.
Travis Bickle 10-12-2006 12:51 AM
I hate my parents. I hate school. Judas Priest tells me to kill myself. Nobody loves me.

This thread is about people claiming that 9/11 was caused by the government and how we feel about that. Not Hitler. Not your mom and dad. If I have to start tracing people from their IP, hunting them down, and beating them within an inch of their life in order to get them to stay on topic, I will.

So, let's talk about it, since a plane crashed into a building today. Was it the government's fault? I don't think so. Kind of like 9/11, only a Yankee, but still a tragedy.

Discuss.
Sharpshooter005 10-12-2006 02:12 AM
quote:
You know what pisses me off?

What?!

Yeah that...that's a madTV bit I'm pretty sure. If you'll excuse me I need to go wash the taste of bile out of my mouth.

quote:
Was it the government's fault?

No this guy was just...a terrible pilot.

Unless Steinbrenner is some sort of sleeper cell (face the bronx five times a day, and repeat "there is no god but the bambino, and Lou Gehrig is his prophet"), this really was just one of those things, statistically it's going to happen.
Krang 10-12-2006 02:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
This thread is about people claiming that 9/11 was caused by the government and how we feel about that. Not Hitler. Not your mom and dad. If I have to start tracing people from their IP, hunting them down, and beating them within an inch of their life in order to get them to stay on topic, I will.

Or you could just wait for me to split the threads, which would be much easier.
Shadow dorothy 10-12-2006 08:54 PM
What's fetusi?

And the government does piss me off! Their not doing anything that'll help the people that realy need it.
088nd 10-12-2006 09:07 PM
Do you even know what the purpose of this thread is?