United 93

Mr. Peabody 09-11-2006 09:39 AM
I originally saw this movie while it was in the theaters, but now, on the fifth anniversary of 9/11, I wanted to start a thread commending this important film.

Directed by Englishman Paul Greengrass, United 93 is inspired by the plane's black box recordings and the passengers' phone conversations. Appearing in the film are the actual airtraffic controllers who were working at several airports along the east coast on that tragic day. Among them is Ben Sliney, who had just been promoted to FAA Director of Operations.

The attacks on the world trade center were already underway as United Airlines 93 left Newark, NJ for San Francisco, CA. On board are four Islamic hijackers. They're nearly an hour into the flight when they attack and take over the plane, killing the pilots and herding the shocked passengers into the rear of the plane. The hijackers turn the plane around and fly towards Washington, with the Capitol building as their target. Two of the hijackers, one of them with a fake bomb strapped to his chest, guard the passengers.

The film also reminds us of the panic and rumors that were spreading on the ground: There is talk about 10 planes not responding and possibly hijacked. The Sears Tower in Chicago is evacuated. U.S. fighter jets are scrambled but they either fly towards the Atlantic, or, in the rush to get them airborne, have not been armed.

On board United 93, the passengers learn of the attacks while talking on phones to their families and decide to take back the plane. While their names aren't given in the film, Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett, and Jeremy Glick, fight their way past the two hijackers and into the cockpit. The pilot sends the plane into a fatal dive, where it crashes into the Pennsylvania farmland.

This is the most powerful movie I've ever seen. I left the movie theater trembling. I had to walk around the mall just to calm myself down for the drive home. While this is a film that will upset many people, I encourage you to watch it. As we must never forget the tragedy of 9/11, we must never forget the courage of United 93.

Let's roll.
-Todd Beamer
David Ryder 09-11-2006 09:57 AM
I think it's out on DVD. I will most likely rent it this weekend. It did look like a good movie though.
Travis Bickle 09-11-2006 10:19 AM
They made a profit off of 9/11. Congrats to them, though it was a terrible movie.
Mike 09-11-2006 09:28 PM
I know what happened, so yeah, I really have no desire to see this. Especially since my dad was on a plane that day (not one of THOSE planes though) and since he left from Newark, might have even seen those assholes. I seriously thought he was dead for half the day.
Hollow XXVI 09-11-2006 11:57 PM
I'd just like to know if things were this bad with Pearl Harbor. I dunno, seems like people had class back then..but that could just be my imagination.
Nine Kuze 01-14-2007 04:38 PM
I saw the movie a while ago but I never replied in here.

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie and it had great direction from director Paul Greengrass.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
The film also reminds us of the panic and rumors that were spreading on the ground: There is talk about 10 planes not responding and possibly hijacked. The Sears Tower in Chicago is evacuated. U.S. fighter jets are scrambled but they either fly towards the Atlantic, or, in the rush to get them airborne, have not been armed.

This was a nice touch by the film, showing the human aspect of the confusion and fear of what was going on with the hijackings of the airplanes. Also, what was cool was how it took the story in the light of the hijackers without demonizing them or making them look like full blown villains. The direction really carries the film and its cool to see Greengrass get a lot of accomdation for this.

quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
I think it's out on DVD.

On the DVD's special features, they had this one feature where it had the pictures of the all the people that were killed in the United 93 event and when you clicked on a picture, they had a summary about who they were and their lives, family and loved one and other aspects about them. I read through a couple and that was a pretty cool feature.
Peace.