So I think I might have it figured out...

Big Money 09-09-2006 11:54 PM
No, not the plot. I mean why Big O wasn't recieved very well in Japan.

If I were on Jeopardy, and I picked "Japanese Voice Tracks" and the answer was "Worst voice acting hackjob crime ever perpetrated against humanity" I'd totally answer "What is Big O?"

Ignoring hyperbole for a moment, I would like to say that the voices for the Japanese audio in Big O are pretty bad. I might even venture to say that they're terrible. They convey no where near the range or emotion of the English dub, and they don't hold a candle to the characterization the English voices add to the show.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

By the way, I'm sure this has been proposed in a thousand more intelligable ways, and I'm always wary of posting new threads in this forum, but I did a cursory search and found nothing.
Robot7290 09-10-2006 12:17 AM
I've never heard the Japanese version, but I can imagine that's why sales weren't that great.

I mean, the voice acting in the American dub was incredible. I always think back to when Dastun rips off his badge. That whole scene... amazing.
SpookyElectric 09-10-2006 12:21 AM
I had no idea because I've always watched the show in English. I just popped in my DVD and switched it to Japanese after reading this to try it. Quality of the voice acting aside, hearing the characters with different voices was enough of an unpleasant change for me that I already didn't like it. But, I agree, the Japanese voices sounded rather monotonous and bored. That, coupled with it being shown on a satellite channel pretty much must have doomed the series to failure in Japan before it began.
David Ryder 09-10-2006 12:42 AM
Having watched both tracks, Money is spot on. While I don't care if the show is dubbed or subbed, the japanese track of Big O, is well, to be nice, less than stellar. Steven Blum just owns as Roger Smith.
Generalissimo D 09-10-2006 10:35 AM
Schwarzwald in english > Schwarzwald in Japanese, first and foremost.

But yeah, pretty much everything sounds better in english for that show.
Shadow dorothy 09-10-2006 11:10 AM
I've heard the japanese version and it didn't sound to bad, in fact as soon as I figure out how to upload vids to the computer it'll be on youtube(if they let me anyway.)
R. Daniel Olk 01 09-10-2006 07:43 PM
Yeah. Plus the words the subtitles use aren't nearly as colorful as the words and phrases the English dub uses. I don't know how close the subs are to the Japanese dub, but if they're close, then voice delivery isn't the only thing the Japanese dub has going against it.
Dominus of Requiem 09-10-2006 08:29 PM
remember that big-O was created by a few of the creators of batman or so im told batman didnt cope with japan either at first
Big Money 09-10-2006 09:01 PM
Unless I've got something horribly backwards, which I'm fairly certain I don't, that... isn't true in any way. If you've got evidence to the contrary, please post it, but I'm almost positive Batman and Big O do not have any creators in common.
Dominus of Requiem 09-10-2006 09:14 PM
well think about it

*rogers suit is black
*he has a grapeling hook( not as big as batman´s)
*he has a buttler with the same personality as alfred
*hes a detective in every episode even though he doesnt always want to be it just happends
*it has a few of the sounds that are used in batman, batman beyone, and the batman

also on another note Big-O has a lil gundam wing in the minx
( dont believe me listen to the sounds that the megadeuses make)
Robot7290 09-10-2006 09:16 PM
Yeah Big O and Batman may have a lot of things in common, but that doesn't mean both shows were worked on by some of the same people.
Big Money 09-10-2006 09:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dominus of Requiem
well think about it

*rogers suit is black
*he has a grapeling hook( not as big as batman´s)
*he has a buttler with the same personality as alfred
*hes a detective in every episode even though he doesnt always want to be it just happends
*it has a few of the sounds that are used in batman, batman beyone, and the batman

also on another note Big-O has a lil gundam wing in the minx
( dont believe me listen to the sounds that the megadeuses make)

That... doesn't mean anything. I'm not going to deny that there are similarities... lots of people describe Big O as Batman with giant robots.

But in absolutely no way does that mean they were created by the same people.
The Big Finale 09-10-2006 09:30 PM
According to the Batman: TAS Wikipedia page, animators from Sunrise did work on it. Granted, everything Wikipedia says should generally be taken with a grain of salt unless it's an unquestionable fact, but still.
Dominus of Requiem 09-10-2006 09:35 PM
well i didnt say everyone of the creators worked on the projects
but still..
and do u rely on wikipedia for everything?
anyways il try to look it up if i find any similarities il let ya know
SpookyElectric 09-10-2006 09:39 PM
I've also heard somewhere else that some of the same people worked on Big O.. not backing it up as 100% fact or anything, but I have heard this before, besides this thread.
The Big Finale 09-10-2006 09:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dominus of Requiem
and do u rely on wikipedia for everything?

I just searched my entire post history for the word Wikipedia, and it would appear I've mentioned it on the forums exactly twice, including this post.

So I'd say no, I don't. I do use it, though.
Dominus of Requiem 09-10-2006 10:57 PM
i´ve never tried it though i´l check it
Nine Kuze 09-11-2006 10:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
No, not the plot. I mean why Big O wasn't recieved very well in Japan.

If I were on Jeopardy, and I picked "Japanese Voice Tracks" and the answer was "Worst voice acting hackjob crime ever perpetrated against humanity" I'd totally answer "What is Big O?"

Money, it's "What is The Big O"? I haven't seen Jeopardy in a long time.

Also, I haven't heard the Japanese version but the English version is basically all I need.
Peace.
Big Money 09-11-2006 03:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
According to the Batman: TAS Wikipedia page, animators from Sunrise did work on it. Granted, everything Wikipedia says should generally be taken with a grain of salt unless it's an unquestionable fact, but still.

Well, whatya know? I hadn't ever heard that before, though you're right, it bears more research. I'll look into it, thanks for clearing that up.