Finally got to see the end

Gabb 09-05-2006 06:41 AM
( contains spoilers of season 2 for those that havent even seen it yet somehow )

yeah I know a good 3 years late Tongue , I became a member of this forum way back when AS was going to show season 2. I watched season 2 and really loved it ( especially its seemingly much high production values especially at the opening ) and watched everything except the last 3 episodes. Unfortuantely for me it was time to start college and I didn't find the time or the opportunity to ever catch the remaining last 3 episodes till the summer of 2006, a good 3 years later Tongue Anyway enough of my life story, I have returned to post my thoughts-

When I first saw the last episode I immediately thought someone way back in the day who suggested Roger was a robot was right. Because of the collection of scenes showing robots being built and one of them coming out as roger ( just imagery maybe? ) and how it seemed roger smith didn't even need air to breathe ( maybe he held out? ).

To my surprise however I took an hour or two reading responses to season 2 and no one seems to really follow this and thinks its more of a Roger clone theory of some sorts. I don't really know but I defiantely don't think the whole roger/dorthy relationship can progress seriously ( being lovers ) without Roger being a robot. Other aspects for the ending I guess were very open to interpretation. I really do hope for a 3rd season although that looks really grim now if they didn't mention a 3rd season after 3 years...Ah well a good ending at least although it didn't tie up every loose end and left much to interpretation.

Oh yeah also that picture of the broken robot ( earlier we were under the impression he was human ) that gave Roger information at that bar from time to time was scary ( forgot his name but he can be seen in this picture- http://www.paradigm-city.com/images/episode26title.jpg ), when exactly did he get all messed up?

Er, also when Big Duo in episode 25 was sent off into the sky and ran into the huge stage light, was that ment to represent that the whole world was staged? ( kinda like the Truman show? ) or was the light just like on top of the dome or something...
Nazrael 09-05-2006 06:32 PM
Yes, the entire world of Paradigm was completely fabricated. It could have been in a humongous studio of sorts, or it could be a computer, etc.

Roger Smith being a robot is only one of the interpratations that we're given. We are given mainly three,

1: Roger is a robot. Really, the only substantial evidence is the very brief scene of robo Rogers being made. But, during that sequence, Roger was seeing those memories through the eyes of Angel. So it could have just been a doll or something(like the dorothy doll).

2: All of it is an imaginary world that Roger has made up. Act 14 shows us a present day Paradigm/New York, and in it Roger is a bum who often reads the Big-Oh! comic strip.

And 3: Roger is a clone. In a picture that Gordon Rosewater has, it depicts a young Rosewater, and Roger in front of a newly built Paradigm. Gordon says he hired Roger to negotiate with the person who ran things in the world (Who we find out to be Angel). At first, it is assumed that Roger is a tomato, a clone of the original statesmen of Paradigm. (i.e. Alex is a clone of Gordon) But, Gordon himself states that neither Roger nor Angel are one of his beloved tomatoes.
R. Daniel Olk 01 09-05-2006 06:54 PM
Dude if you're REALLY familiar with Big O then you know that there IS no clear definition for Paradigm City. The writers and artists were really careful about leaving it ambiguous.
minespatch 09-05-2006 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gabb
To my surprise however I took an hour or two reading responses to season 2 and no one seems to really follow this and thinks its more of a Roger clone theory of some sorts. I don't really know but I defiantely don't think the whole roger/dorthy relationship can progress seriously ( being lovers ) without Roger being a robot. Other aspects for the ending I guess were very open to interpretation. I really do hope for a 3rd season although that looks really grim now if they didn't mention a 3rd season after 3 years...Ah well a good ending at least although it didn't tie up every loose end and left much to interpretation.

Oh yeah also that picture of the broken robot ( earlier we were under the impression he was human ) that gave Roger information at that bar from time to time was scary ( forgot his name but he can be seen in this picture- http://www.paradigm-city.com/images/episode26title.jpg ), when exactly did he get all messed up?

Er, also when Big Duo in episode 25 was sent off into the sky and ran into the huge stage light, was that ment to represent that the whole world was staged? ( kinda like the Truman show? ) or was the light just like on top of the dome or something...

first of all, i did write a forum for that:
http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thread.php?threadid=14253

second, the robots name is Big Ear.

third, here's another forum that can help build on that theory:
computer theory.
zaise chsa 09-05-2006 09:11 PM
In my opinion I'm glad there's no third season, b/c in the last like 30-45 seconds of the final episode, it ends with the lines at the beggining of the show, which, in my mind, show that this may be some sort of computer simulator/show that repeats its self seeing how litle tiny differences do in the end. We are just watching one of the outcomes. If there were a third season, it would be dificult to create a new story line that is as good as the one the created in the first two seasons. It may even turn Inu-Yasha like.
Gabb 09-06-2006 01:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nazrael
Yes, the entire world of Paradigm was completely fabricated. It could have been in a humongous studio of sorts, or it could be a computer, etc.

Roger Smith being a robot is only one of the interpratations that we're given. We are given mainly three,

1: Roger is a robot. Really, the only substantial evidence is the very brief scene of robo Rogers being made. But, during that sequence, Roger was seeing those memories through the eyes of Angel. So it could have just been a doll or something(like the dorothy doll).

2: All of it is an imaginary world that Roger has made up. Act 14 shows us a present day Paradigm/New York, and in it Roger is a bum who often reads the Big-Oh! comic strip.

And 3: Roger is a clone. In a picture that Gordon Rosewater has, it depicts a young Rosewater, and Roger in front of a newly built Paradigm. Gordon says he hired Roger to negotiate with the person who ran things in the world (Who we find out to be Angel). At first, it is assumed that Roger is a tomato, a clone of the original statesmen of Paradigm. (i.e. Alex is a clone of Gordon) But, Gordon himself states that neither Roger nor Angel are one of his beloved tomatoes.

Thanks for the clairification, I guess I most agree with the #3 theory. Although it is cool ( as someone else stated ) that a lot of animes are purposly vague and leave a lot for interpretation for the purpose of a possible sequel or a non-closure feeling, but never the less its still frustrating not knowing the truth and hypothesizing Tongue