New [AS] joke on Season 3?

Nazrael 09-04-2006 06:46 PM
Wasn't it always planned to end with Season 2?
Shadow dorothy 09-04-2006 06:51 PM
No, the Writer want's to do a 3rd season, AS just won't let him.
Tsukaggin 09-04-2006 08:18 PM
No. AS has nothing to do with it. AS isn't stopping them. They just aren't FUNDING it. (Well, Cartoon Network actually.)
David Ryder 09-04-2006 09:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes

4 years and counting. Victory for Big O fans!

Pff, you think that matters? Plus what, you think it wastes our lives away or something? If anybody's doing that then it's you just sittin' here with your ol' Escaflowne pic... (phenomenal animé btw... and hilariously bad movie!)

Sides, there's no point in being an active fan of a franchise if that franchise is completely dead. If Konaka said he didn't want to make a 3rd season then you'd never see me here again.

Haha, maybe that's something you'd like to happen. <---gonna get another "Quoted For Truth" I'm sure.

This sort of logic fails. I never said it was a waste, your just putting words into my mouth. It's called a joke (a bad one I know), and what makes you think I want Big O to die out? Just because I don't participate in your little campaign , doesn't make me any less a fan, so ease up a tad. Oh and since you need to know, I don't "Just sit there and do nothing" like you seem to think.

quote:
AS just won't let him.

Again AS gets brought up, as being the chief reason. What does AS have to do with anything Big O? I mean other than airing it. If the blame must be put on someone them, blame the head guys at the actual cartoon network, or Mike Lazzo I guess.

Edit: Fixed minor spelling problems.
Zopwx2 09-04-2006 09:15 PM
*Lazzo.

Basicly no one really wanted to pay for it, but the staff was willing to continue.
Krang 09-04-2006 09:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukaggin
No. AS has nothing to do with it. AS isn't stopping them. They just aren't FUNDING it. (Well, Cartoon Network actually.)

Exactly. I never did see the point in pestering Cartoon Network into funding another season. They publically stated that the second season didn't live up to their expectations, and the only reason they funded it in the first place was that they were expecting a better response. Like most businesses, they care most about profit, and profit comes from numbers, not how "hardcore" the fans are. The numbers they're looking for simply aren't there and are diminishing even more with time.

What some people fail to realize is that the most important role CN played with Big O was funding the second season. That is something that any company can do, so CN isn't anything special or necessary. Sure, there's the added bonus that they can air it as well, but there are other networks out there that air anime (and if not, would a DVD-only release be so bad?). Insisting that CN fund and air another season is an all-or-nothing approach, and so far, it has resulted (and most likely will result) in nothing other than the occasional taunt. I'm not saying that I'm against a third season. If they make one, fine with me, and if they don't, fine with me. I'm just saying that there are more options out there.
Mr. Fortnight 09-05-2006 02:48 AM
I just find it insulting that they CONSTANTLY troll the Big O fans. If they really want the caterwauling to stop (which it sounds like to me) then they should simply ignore it.

AS's behavior towards their viewers sometimes makes me question their logic.

Saved By The Bell and Pee Wee's anyone?
6 moon dance 09-05-2006 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukaggin Originally posted by Tsukaggin

True, the only way Big O will be funded for a third season, DVD etc is if someone thinks they can make money from it.

How do we true believers convince the powers that be that they can make money from more seasons of Big O?

1) Continue to increase the fan base by publicizing the show. Through fan postings on the asmb and other forums SBO gained 90+ new members during this last run of Big O. I'd be willing to bet that PCF gained a lot on new members too.

a)There is a pretty good article on Big O in Wikpedia.

b)Roger Smith now has a page on my space.

c)Maintain a presence at the conventions. Can you imagine the stir that about a half-dozen mega dei constumed cos players could create?

d)Create and post our own Big O themed videos on the internet.

I'm sure that others can come up with even better ideas.

2) Let anime producers know about Big O's constantly growing fanbase. They also need to know that a large proportion of Big O viewers are adults with jobsand disposable incomes ready to be spent on whatever they see advertised on Big O.

a)Maintain a presence at the conventions- Keeping asking questions about Big O at the panels.

b)Maintain a presense on the asmb. Kim Manning said that the staff at AS checks the boards to keep tabs on what the viewers are watching. I don't think that they would have bothered with the bump or the article if they didn't think there was some interest.

c)Petitions!! both paper and internet. Copies to AS, Bandai, Chakai Konaka and to other likely anime producers.

d)MAILINGS!! probably one of the most effective ways of getting attention.

It is not going to be easy, and it will take more than one attempt, but it can be done. Never forget, All things come to those who wait as long as they work like h-ll while they wait.

Ensign Minneapolis wrote:
quote:
I just find it insulting that they CONSTANTLY troll the Big O fans. If they really want the caterwauling to stop (which it sounds like to me) then they should simply ignore it.

I think they want the caterwauling to continue. So do we. The more they insult us the more publicity Big O gets, the more publicity Big O gets the more viewers it gets. The more viewers it gets, the more the fan base increases. Do you see where I'm going with this? Furthermore if we post our gripes about AS's shabby treatment on SBO or PCF we are just preaching to the choir. If you are really angry with AS for their insults the place to vent is on the asmb or another anime forum. That way we can reach more potential fans.
David Ryder 09-05-2006 04:09 PM
I would like to see another season of Big O (contrary to what some would like to believe). However, until Cartoon Network or any other comapny see's it as a profitable venture, with a large enough fan base, it's not going to happen.

Petitions are a great idea, however online petitions aren't such a hot idea.
zaise chsa 09-05-2006 09:30 PM
To tell you the truth I believe that if they don't make a third season, it'll be okay. I mean the ending of the second season was really thought provoking, and left a lot of questions to ask one self. Maybe if they make a third season it won't be as great as the first two seasons. Possibly the third season will get a huge fan base, and they'll continue it untill it gets to a never ending story like what happened to Inu-Yasha. There seems to be a tendency that shorter series have better story lines, and don't run out of story and have filler episodes/seasons. Possibly the third season will be great, and everything will turn out fine. I'm just saying that there may be some bad things that come out of the third season if it were to ever come out.
088nd 09-05-2006 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis

AS's behavior towards their viewers sometimes makes me question their logic.

Saved By The Bell and Pee Wee's anyone?

Who knows, maybe they're going for a large market, instead of say, and minority of hardcore Big O fans.

The only reason they "troll" Big O fans is because some of them aren't smart enough to realize that a third season will ever happen, much less that it doesn't need to exist at all.
R. Daniel Olk 01 09-05-2006 10:53 PM
quote:

I never said it was a waste, your just putting words into my mouth.

Well if you don't think it's a waste then why do you keep telling people to stop trying?

quote:
It's called a joke (a bad one I know),

I guess...

quote:
and what makes you think I want Big O to die out?

I didn't say you thought that. I meant that there's a chance for Big O to make a comeback. And if that chance didn't exist--if the story wasn't ever gonna grow or continue, well then there'd be no point in being a fan. Writing fanfics/drawing fanart for something that's done and gone, that's the real time-waster.

quote:
Oh and since you need to know, I don't "Just sit there and do nothing" like you seem to think.

If you're not helpin' out to get a Season III, then what you're doing amounts to nothing. It's just pointless. Like, take Escaflowne. If you join an Escaflowne fansite and even if you make fanfics and fanart.. even if you post like a monster-typist.... the community will eventually die and Escaflowne will pass out of knowledge... it almost already has.

But if a show is like Big O and there's some hope of it still kicking around, then you're part of something still alive, not something that's dying away. SO, if you spend your time as a Big O fan thinking it's dead.... and encouraging others to think it's dead... well then I think you're pretty much doing nothing--nothing of any value, at any rate.
Travis Bickle 09-05-2006 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a hell of a lot more people that would rather see more of Escaflowne than the Big O. In fact, I'd probably bet a testicle on that.

But what is wrong with you people? You take things to seriously. A great deal (if not most) of us have made peace with the resulting second season, and have pretty much put it to rest other than talking about it in depth here and there every few months or so. Read a book. Meet a girl. Maybe, if those fail, watch a different show that's even more thought provking and less cheesy.
Krang 09-05-2006 11:38 PM
quote:
I didn't say you thought that. I meant that there's a chance for Big O to make a comeback. And if that chance didn't exist--if the story wasn't ever gonna grow or continue, well then there'd be no point in being a fan. Writing fanfics/drawing fanart for something that's done and gone, that's the real time-waster.

That's not true at all. There are countless TV series that have no chance whatsoever of a comeback, and there are always active fans to discuss them. Do a search on anime, cartoon, and other TV series of the past, and you'll be surprised how active some of those communities still are. There is such a thing as just posting for fun. Not everyone takes these shows so seriously.

And what happens if there is a season 3? Will some of you pester the creators into making a season 4, even if they made it clear that they were finished? If not, would you just give up on the Big O community to avoid "wasting time"?

quote:
If you're not helpin' out to get a Season III, then what you're doing amounts to nothing. It's just pointless. Like, take Escaflowne. If you join an Escaflowne fansite and even if you make fanfics and fanart.. even if you post like a monster-typist.... the community will eventually die and Escaflowne will pass out of knowledge... it almost already has.

But if a show is like Big O and there's some hope of it still kicking around, then you're part of something still alive, not something that's dying away. SO, if you spend your time as a Big O fan thinking it's dead.... and encouraging others to think it's dead... well then I think you're pretty much doing nothing--nothing of any value, at any rate.

You must not be familiar with how these forums work. We support Big O fans of all kinds, regardless of their opinion on the future of Big O. If there are people who want more episodes and have realistic plans to accomplish that, we support them (take ZeaLitY for example). If there are people who feel that Big O is done and don't want to see any more episodes, we support them as well. If there are people who hate Big O but still visit here to post in the non-Big O sections, we even support them. In other words, people are free to believe what they want on these forums. Besides, even if Big O does die out, there are still plenty more sections on these forums where people can discuss other things.
Mr. Fortnight 09-06-2006 12:42 AM
Agreed. There are many stars in the sky. What if one burns out?

I love Read or Die, but I know that there will probably no more made for it. I accept that as it is, and I enjoy the entirety of the series as a complete presentation.

The Big O does feel incomplete, but the two seasons cover ground and keep the imagination fired up. I am starting to be of the thought of why do we even need a Season 3. The Big O will lose it's mystery. Perhaps that is what it is meant to be.

I'm just not a fan of AS's treatment of it's viewers in general more than just towards our fellow Tomatoes. Or maybe I'm more willing to move on as well?
minespatch 09-06-2006 12:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

That's not true at all. There are countless TV series that have no chance whatsoever of a comeback, and there are always active fans to discuss them. Do a search on anime, cartoon, and other TV series of the past, and you'll be surprised how active some of those communities still are. There is such a thing as just posting for fun. Not everyone takes these shows so seriously.

And what happens if there is a season 3? Will some of you pester the creators into making a season 4, even if they made it clear that they were finished? If not, would you just give up on the Big O community to avoid "wasting time"?

if you recall, nbc cancelled the show star trek even when many fans wrote a petition. not that i'm saying that this will be the future for our beloved Big-O.
David Ryder 09-06-2006 01:00 AM
What does Escaflowne have to do with anything? If you think I like Escaflowne more than Big O, then yeah your right I do. And for the love of christ stop questioning my like of Big O. Like I said before, simply because I don't take part in your little letter writing deal or trolling the AS forums, doesn't make me any less of a fan, like you seem to think.

Like Krang said, there are many different types of Big O fan, not just the ones that are hardcore and die hard, and to stubborn to realize that it is done. But if you want to pester AS, and CN to no end, then I won't stop you, but stop questioning other fans support of the show.

And Escaflowne is hardly "Dead and Forgotten".

quote:
I'm pretty sure there's a hell of a lot more people that would rather see more of Escaflowne than the Big O.

I know I would.
Travis Bickle 09-06-2006 01:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch
if you recall, nbc cancelled the show star trek even when many fans wrote a petition. not that i'm saying that this will be the future for our beloved Big-O.

Star Trek conventions are filled to the brim with thousands upon thousands of Star Trek FANATICS. If you go to an anime con, you're luck enough to find one or two Big O fans. Hell, there are more Family Guy fans at Anime Conventions than Big O Fans, just to put things into perspective.
R. Daniel Olk 01 09-06-2006 01:37 AM
quote:
What does Escaflowne have to do with anything? If you think I like Escaflowne more than Big O, then yeah your right I do. And for the love of christ stop questioning my like of Big O. Like I said before, simply because I don't take part in your little letter writing deal or trolling the AS forums, doesn't make me any less of a fan, like you seem to think.

Like Krang said, there are many different types of Big O fan, not just the ones that are hardcore and die hard, and to stubborn to realize that it is done. But if you want to pester AS, and CN to no end, then I won't stop you, but stop questioning other fans support of the show.

quote:
I'm pretty sure there's a hell of a lot more people that would rather see more of Escaflowne than the Big O.

I know I would.

Ha I'm not even fired up any more, now I'm just laughing. Not at you, Gaddes, or anything, but at our predicament. It seems that, somehow, we both manage to misinterpret the majority of what we say to each other.

My pride tells me to keep arguing and stuff, but my reason tells me it'll just cause so much explanations from both of us and for really, just a pointless argument.

I only brought up Escaflowne for a couple reasons. I remember a friend told me it was supposed to run for an extra season but had to have stuff cut due to cost considerations. Escaflowne is like what a lot of people at PCF think Big O is: a great show with no hopes of expansion or revival. So I thought it made a fitting example or parallel, whatevs, that I could use.

Hmm, although... with Krang's response I'm still interested in some debate. But now it's way way too late for me.

Oh yea, but more about Escaflowne: man, to me that show is the fantasy equivalent of Big O: top-notch. Hmm... in the end though I just like modernity (sci-fi and technology, etc.) better. That may be related to why I don't like to associate with Franchises that are no longer expanding in some big 'ol way... I like feeling connected to something solid, and nothing's more solid and hopeful for growth than something that's still in production.

If there's a good possibility that people will lose interest, that it'll just shrink and shrivel, then there's a feeling of loneliness. Like, even though Escaflowne is good enough to remain in fans' minds forever, the problem is that, unless it's updated and re-ran periodically, those fans will dwindle and carry Escaflowne with them to the grave, y'know?

I'm not up on animé actually but I've got a feeling that, unfortunately, nobody runs Escaflowne anymore! So even though I for one will never forget Strategos Folken and Jajuka, and like everything else, I can't join an Escaflowne fansite because they have this feeling of antiquity and impending doom (to use a really overly dramatic term).

Actually, most animé fans I've spoken to actually never even heard of Escaflowne. I think that's crazy 'cuz it's a classic, like Outlaw Star I guess. Then again, neither is Outlaw Star that well-known. These are all old animés and they're rarely run, so their community isn't fresh and as vibrant as other communities.

I'm not lonely in real life but all the same I don't like feeling lonely in my tastes. That, I think, is what's driving me in the end. I think that's what I meant by starting this whole argument.
David Ryder 09-06-2006 02:59 AM
quote:
quote:

quote:

I know I would.

Ha I'm not even fired up any more, now I'm just laughing. Not at you, Gaddes, or anything, but at our predicament. It seems that, somehow, we both manage to misinterpret the majority of what we say to each other.

My pride tells me to keep arguing and stuff, but my reason tells me it'll just cause so much explanations from both of us and for really, just a pointless argument.

I only brought up Escaflowne for a couple reasons. I remember a friend told me it was supposed to run for an extra season but had to have stuff cut due to cost considerations. Escaflowne is like what a lot of people at PCF think Big O is: a great show with no hopes of expansion or revival. So I thought it made a fitting example or parallel, whatevs, that I could use.

Hmm, although... with Krang's response I'm still interested in some debate. But now it's way way too late for me.

Oh yea, but more about Escaflowne: man, to me that show is the fantasy equivalent of Big O: top-notch. Hmm... in the end though I just like modernity (sci-fi and technology, etc.) better. That may be related to why I don't like to associate with Franchises that are no longer expanding in some big 'ol way... I like feeling connected to something solid, and nothing's more solid and hopeful for growth than something that's still in production.

If there's a good possibility that people will lose interest, that it'll just shrink and shrivel, then there's a feeling of loneliness. Like, even though Escaflowne is good enough to remain in fans' minds forever, the problem is that, unless it's updated and re-ran periodically, those fans will dwindle and carry Escaflowne with them to the grave, y'know?

I'm not up on animé actually but I've got a feeling that, unfortunately, nobody runs Escaflowne anymore! So even though I for one will never forget Strategos Folken and Jajuka, and like everything else, I can't join an Escaflowne fansite because they have this feeling of antiquity and impending doom (to use a really overly dramatic term).

Actually, most animé fans I've spoken to actually never even heard of Escaflowne. I think that's crazy 'cuz it's a classic, like Outlaw Star I guess. Then again, neither is Outlaw Star that well-known. These are all old animés and they're rarely run, so their community isn't fresh and as vibrant as other communities.

I'm not lonely in real life but all the same I don't like feeling lonely in my tastes. That, I think, is what's driving me in the end. I think that's what I meant by starting this whole argument.

Agreed. And trust me, I to can be rather stubborn as well.