Dad Kills Daughter's Molester

Mr. Peabody 08-31-2006 11:10 AM
Yesterday in Fairfield, Conn. Jonathon Edington, a young lawyer and father, broke into the home of 59-year-old neighbor Barry James and repeatedly stabbed him with one of James' own kitchen knives until he was dead.

Moments before the attack, Edington received a call from his wife, who was visiting relatives with their 2-year-old daughter, that she had just confessed that James had been molesting her.

Police were called to the neighborhood and found a visibly shaken Edington back in his home, washing James' blood off his hands at the kitchen sink.

The police had received numerous complaints about James from neighbors. He was seen walking past his windows naked, walked around his yard naked, screamed obscenities at children, and crashed his car into a neighbor's shed. James lived with his elderly parents. It's possible they witnessed Edington stabbing their son and called the police.

Edington has been charged with murder, but is out on bail.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14588572/
Hobodoken 08-31-2006 11:24 AM
If the guy actually was molesting the girl, he deserved it.

However, the words of a two year old aren't exactly evidence.
088nd 08-31-2006 12:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken

Yeah. But I'm sure a two year old has no concept of faking it. What would they have to gain? The guy probably deserved it.
Nine Kuze 08-31-2006 12:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
quote:

Yeah. But I'm sure a two year old has no concept of faking it. What would they have to gain?

Television exposure.

I'm not saying the girl is faking it but we'll just see if her story holds up when she's appearing from Oprah to Larry King.

If it does, then book deals and possibly a made for tv movie.
Peace.
Mr. Fortnight 08-31-2006 12:43 PM
"...The police had received numerous complaints about James from neighbors. He was seen walking past his windows naked, walked around his yard naked, screamed obscenities at children, and crashed his car into a neighbor's shed..."

Hmm, I think with that body of past misbehavior... yeah, I'd believe the 2 year old.

Maybe it's my cold dead heart or a lack of compassion, but if I had found out my child was molested by the neighborhood freak, I would probably have done the same thing.

Or maybe just beat the living hell out of him.
088nd 08-31-2006 12:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:

Yeah. But I'm sure a two year old has no concept of faking it. What would they have to gain?

Television exposure.

I'm not saying the girl is faking it but we'll just see if her story holds up when she's appearing from Oprah to Larry King.

Peace.

You think a two year old is wanting television exposure? I doubt she knows anything on TV other than cartoons, and probably doesn't know that this kind of story makes the news. The most she could be thinking about would be attention. I think you guys overestimate the mind of a two year old.
Gato Gurl914 08-31-2006 12:56 PM
I don't think she'd be faking it. Children in cases like that tend to keep it secret, not go around blabing it.
Hobodoken 08-31-2006 01:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
"...The police had received numerous complaints about James from neighbors. He was seen walking past his windows naked, walked around his yard naked, screamed obscenities at children, and crashed his car into a neighbor's shed..."

Since when is being naked a crime? The crashing the car I understand as bad...but that's more along the lines of negligent driving/inebrity. Also: Children normally deserve to be yelled at. They're constantly doing things wrong.
Pie_Junkie 08-31-2006 01:13 PM
If he actully molested the girl, more power to the father and I'd made it a long drawn out death. The father might have wanted to get a little more evidence on weather dude did it or not before he stabbed 'im tho. Children lie, I know I did and still do. Outside of that she might not have even lied just misunderstood somethin', or ya know he yells at her and she gets mad and plays 'er dad.
Mr. Fortnight 08-31-2006 01:16 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis

Since when is being naked a crime? The crashing the car I understand as bad...but that's more along the lines of negligent driving/inebrity. Also: Children normally deserve to be yelled at. They're constantly doing things wrong.

Being Naked while walking around in your yard is if anyone sees you (which people did). Now I would worry if I had a neighbor like that in a Neighborhood with Children.

A for Children being yelled at. It's one thing to scold, it's another to curse. Just screaming obcenities at a child for no reason other than to do it is downright vulgar.

This man obviously had issues and probably had a few screws loose.
Mr. Peabody 08-31-2006 01:18 PM
If these molestation charges are true, then James deserved the death Edington dished out.

It's a tragedy for the Edington family, but their daughter will never have to fear that man will return to hurt her again. She can move on with her life easier than most molestation victims.
Nine Kuze 08-31-2006 01:43 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:

[SARCASM]Television exposure.

Peace.[/SARCASM]

You think a two year old is wanting television exposure? I doubt she knows anything on TV other than cartoons, and probably doesn't know that this kind of story makes the news. The most she could be thinking about would be attention. I think you guys overestimate the mind of a two year old.

I was completly kiddin' about that. Sorry that I forgot to include that.

quote:
Since when is being naked a crime?

Since Matthew McConaghey?

But seriously, I hope the Edington fam is able to get through this.
Peace.
088nd 08-31-2006 01:47 PM
Wow, I can't believe I missed that sarcasm. That's a new level of failure.
Travis Bickle 08-31-2006 02:00 PM
If I were the father, I would have probably done the same thing.
Tsukaggin 08-31-2006 03:02 PM
Wow. Looks like we have a whole thread full of Vigilantes. I think the guy should get off with no less then manslaughter. Preferably Murder, but we know the public will be on his side. I don't care what the old man did, no one should play judge jury and executioner. The system exists for a reason. I feel sorry for their daughter, but it's no excuse to murder him without a fair trial. Had a jury convicted him, after a proper investigation, I'd have supplied the .44 and ammo free.

I have very lenient views on vigilante activity. Stopping robberies and breaking and entering when there are people in danger. Beating an assailant or stopping rapists in the act (Using lethal force only if necessary. They should live to be prosecuted if possible. Take life only if it's the only way to save a life.) Protecting others in general when you see the event taking place. These things are good. But NO ONE should play executioner on their own decision. At the end of the day, every one deserves a fair trial. James was denied his investigation or trial. For that, this man should pay the penalty.

I'm not saying the man didn't deserve death. I'm saying it wasn't the fathers right to give it to him. Protecting others does not mean pursuing people you think committed a crime, and dealing out your own justice. It means helping others as it happens, and knowing the proper authorities to call after the event. The only time you should physically step in is if some one is in danger right now, in which case it's your obligation as a decent human to protect your fellow man. Unless James was in the middle of molesting or otherwise endangering some one at the time of the assault, and resisted with lethal force when he tried to stop him, there's no excuse for the fathers crimes.

-Tsukaggin
X Prime 08-31-2006 03:24 PM
Good thing I'm better than a decent human.

Killing him was the appropriate choice.
Tsukaggin 08-31-2006 03:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Good thing I'm worse than a decent human.

Fixed for inappropriate choice of words.
Nine Kuze 08-31-2006 04:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukaggin
quote:

I think you strung along the inappropriate choice of words, bruh. What was the point of changing ol' boy X Prime's post? And to something that's so negative towards him in the first place.

quote:
Wow. Looks like we have a whole thread full of Vigilantes.

Come on, man this is PCF you join up with. You knew what this was.

Did the father commit a crime. Yes, that's a fact. But giving the situation, some of the members here are mostly just saying that they understand the father's decision to take matters into his own hands. I personally don't agree with killing the dude, I can for the most part understand the father's actions for doing so.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 08-31-2006 04:32 PM
quote:
Wow. Looks like we have a whole thread full of Vigilantes. I think the guy should get off with no less then manslaughter. Preferably Murder, but we know the public will be on his side. I don't care what the old man did, no one should play judge jury and executioner. The system exists for a reason. I feel sorry for their daughter, but it's no excuse to murder him without a fair trial. Had a jury convicted him, after a proper investigation, I'd have supplied the .44 and ammo free.

A strong belief and respect for our nation's laws is good, but that's instantly forgotten when your child tells you he or she has been molested. As for a trial, there's no telling what a molester's defense would dream up to set him free: mental illness, drug or alcohol abuse, depression, his own molestation as a child. Even if convicted there's no guarantee he'd do serious time. Some molesters only get probation in some states.

quote:
I have very lenient views on vigilante activity. Stopping robberies and breaking and entering when there are people in danger. Beating an assailant or stopping rapists in the act (Using lethal force only if necessary. They should live to be prosecuted if possible. Take life only if it's the only way to save a life.) Protecting others in general when you see the event taking place. These things are good. But NO ONE should play executioner on their own decision. At the end of the day, every one deserves a fair trial. James was denied his investigation or trial. For that, this man should pay the penalty.

I'm supportive of vigilantism as well. That doesn't mean whipping out a gun and killing the kid who stole a candy bar at the 7-11, it means keeping an eye out for your neighborhood, giving the police all the information they need if you see a crime, and defending a person from a criminal if you're stronger or trained to do it. The best you can do is get involved to whatever degree you think is safe.

quote:
I'm not saying the man didn't deserve death. I'm saying it wasn't the fathers right to give it to him. Protecting others does not mean pursuing people you think committed a crime, and dealing out your own justice. It means helping others as it happens, and knowing the proper authorities to call after the event. The only time you should physically step in is if some one is in danger right now, in which case it's your obligation as a decent human to protect your fellow man. Unless James was in the middle of molesting or otherwise endangering some one at the time of the assault, and resisted with lethal force when he tried to stop him, there's no excuse for the fathers crimes.

Finding out your child has been molested will drive any parent into a rage. I don't blame Edington for what he did. I'd of done the exact same thing. child molesters shouldn't be walking our streets.
X Prime 08-31-2006 05:22 PM
quote:
quote:

Oh, what's this? Why, I think it's flaming. I thought you abided by laws, including the laws of this forum by extension...

Congratulations, you just annihilated your credibility on this subject on these forums for all to see. And I was only stating my own opinion on how ridiculous it was to dictate what is decency based solely on your own opinion... bravo.

Kindly don't dictate what is decency to ME based on your views. Because frankly I don't see a damn thing that makes me want to pay attention to your opinion on that subject. Show me your credentials!