Is Anybody Here Watching "Shin-Chan"?

Nine Kuze 08-28-2006 04:57 PM
Because to my own surprise and disbelief, I am.

For me, its like Eureka Seven where I have no idea what's going on as far as the main plot goes. But it looks like to follow the misadventures of a Japanese schoolboy who goes around flashing people his ass.

The reason I'm watching this is because whoever wrote the script has me dying everytime I watch it. The characters say some messed up things that will get some kind of reaction from you.

For example, the main character Shin has a baby sister. In one skit, she took a shopping catalog away from her mother that she loves reading and the mother says this:
quote:
"Did you take away the whole thing that gives Mommy pleasure that doesn't involve a detachable shower head?"

Later on, while she's chasing the baby, she says this:
quote:
"Just act like Daddy in bed and don't move."

Trust me, there's more. And I'm sorry if this is inapproiate here for the forums but I just thought since its a new series showing on adult swim, that we can talk about it like "civilized adults".

So, any thoughts on this show if like the question says, anybody is watching it?
Peace.
David Ryder 08-28-2006 05:04 PM
I watched a few of the episodes. I'm just not getting in to it. As for the script, it's like Funimation got smashed on acid and hired Steven Foster from ADV, and threw in pointless and frankly unfunny jokes for the hell of it. The humor in this show reminds me of the stuff I heard in the 3rd grade.
ArmageddonRose 08-28-2006 05:09 PM
I've seen an episode or two. Don't care for it. I can't stand the drawn-badly-on-purpose animation style. Sweatdrop
Mr. Fortnight 08-28-2006 05:35 PM
I really am not getting into it. I turned it on, and to me it felt like a Japanese south park. It was funny but in an OMGWTFLOLBBQ way, and that can only take me so far.

That sort of humor doesn't keep me coming back.
Tickle Tickle 08-28-2006 07:06 PM
No. The dub sucks big time.

FUNImation did a crappy job with the script, and casting. Phuuz or ADV should've did this. They know how to re-write a script and make it FUNNY.

And the casting is terrible. I can't stand any of the voices, except for maybe Shin's mom. The worst offender is Shin-chan. He originally has a loud, and crude voice (bit of trivia: R. Dorothy has the seiyuu) The dub voice is way too low. I have nothing again'st the voice acting or the actors. Just the casting.
David Ryder 08-28-2006 07:45 PM
Funimation and ADV are basically the same company in this day and age, seeing how 95% of all ADV voice actors have contracts with Funimation. And this show does seem similar to South Park but atleast South Park is actually funny.
Scourge 08-28-2006 10:37 PM
I watched a few episodes of this show, it wasn't all that great... crappy even
dominusofdeath 08-29-2006 12:30 AM
I love it. Dub and sub
R.Smith 08-29-2006 01:13 AM
I like it. Big Grin

Ench-Man is great! Cool
Tickle Tickle 08-29-2006 07:47 AM
Speaking of, is the Crayon Shin-chan manga still around? I remeber seeing them at Barnes and Nobles, but I haven't seen them latley. Those were pretty funny.
Mastershake 08-30-2006 01:59 AM
Hm, I thought the show was okay, but not great. I mean, in the sense that it fills time well, other than that I don't really care too much about it. AS said it was just an experiment in showing it(though, I've seriously questioned some of the shows AS tries to push, 12 oz Mouse for example >.>). I doubt it'll last much longer, as they'll find something else to fill the slot once they realize it isn't profitable.
The Big Finale 08-30-2006 09:16 AM
Not something I'm going to be watching on a regular basis, although I do like how they used punching plush bunnies as a metaphor for doing drugs.

That, and the Action Bastard sequences.