Roger and Pheonix Wright

Robot7290 08-25-2006 04:06 PM
Hey, does anyone else notice the similarity between the looks of Roger Smith and Pheonix Wright from that one DS game? It looks like they were drawn very similarly.

Both of thier eyeborws are a little similar, and the hair is definitly like (except Pheonix's is a little more swept back and spiky).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...=phoenix+wright
That's a video link to a mock courtroom battle gameplay. It's actually pretty funny. Anyways, you get to see what Pheonix looks like.

Not an exact match, but he does remind me of Roger Smith.

EDIT: Oops, put his name down as Pheonix Wayneright. Sorry about that, it's actually Pheonix Wright. (You see how I could have gotten them mixed up.)
Zopwx2 08-25-2006 04:21 PM
Hah wayneright.

There was a dude from the DDR games that supposedly looked roger-esque. Its a generic character type I guess.
Generalissimo D 08-25-2006 04:36 PM
Robot7290 08-25-2006 05:13 PM
YA RLY

The Ghost of Ember 08-25-2006 08:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
O RLY?

OBJECTION!
Xel 08-26-2006 01:17 AM
Yeah, say hello to DDR's Akira.

The Big Finale 08-26-2006 01:59 AM
quote:

Good god, he's even got the eyebrows.
Jixie 08-26-2006 02:13 AM
I can see Roger in a courtroom. But I am trying to imagine him dancing, and... it... just... wrong.

That's kind of awesome but mostly creepy. His eyebrows are like a key unique feature that sets Roger apart. ...dancing! Sheeze.

~J
Robot7290 08-26-2006 02:38 PM
LOL he DOES have those eyebrows. Wow.
R. Daniel Olk 01 08-26-2006 03:42 PM
Heh, that vid was pretty long but also pretty funny Smile I actually liked the blatant advertising, thought it was very tongue-in-cheek Big Grin

Heh, D-boy, Ember, you two...

Oooh are there more pieces of DDR fanart like that around? I didn't think that fanart would exist!

About Roger Smith/Phoenix/Akira...... all those guys are like a friggin' archetype in animé: the suave businessman. It's like the ideal for which most Japanese males strive. I haven't seen a huge amount of animé but I've read studies on it and stuff... and also I've seen some Japanese art/masks here and there, as well.... anyways, it's definitely no coincidence that they're similar.

Also, that eyebrow thing is a charicature you can find all throughout Japanese history in one way or another. It's applied when depicting intense, powerful males; it makes the brows (like, skeletal brows, not facial eyebrows) more defined and prominent, more angular--more intense and manly.

Well, I'm done with being a snobby know-it-all for now. Big Grin
minespatch 08-26-2006 09:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
Heh, that vid was pretty long but also pretty funny Smile I actually liked the blatant advertising, thought it was very tongue-in-cheek Big Grin

Oooh are there more pieces of DDR fanart like that around? I didn't think that fanart would exist!

About Roger Smith/Phoenix/Akira...... all those guys are like a friggin' archetype in animé: the suave businessman. It's like the ideal for which most Japanese males strive. I haven't seen a huge amount of animé but I've read studies on it and stuff... and also I've seen some Japanese art/masks here and there, as well.... anyways, it's definitely no coincidence that they're similar.

Also, that eyebrow thing is a charicature you can find all throughout Japanese history in one way or another. It's applied when depicting intense, powerful males; it makes the brows (like, skeletal brows, not facial eyebrows) more defined and prominent, more angular--more intense and manly.

interesting, but what about the slick back hairstyle on all these characters (roger, akira...)?
OpVines 08-26-2006 09:30 PM
Minespatch, "About Roger Smith/Phoenix/Akira...... all those guys are like a friggin' archetype in animé: the suave businessman. It's like the ideal for which most Japanese males strive." <--- I believe your question was already answered.
minespatch 08-27-2006 08:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by OpVines
Minespatch, "About Roger Smith/Phoenix/Akira...... all those guys are like a friggin' archetype in animé: the suave businessman. It's like the ideal for which most Japanese males strive." <--- I believe your question was already answered.

oh yes...
R. Daniel Olk 01 08-27-2006 11:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01

interesting, but what about the slick back hairstyle on all these characters (roger, akira...)?

Well first off, slicked back is very suave--heh remember DapperDan hair pompade from the 50's? suaaaaave....

But also, if the hair is pointing back again it makes the character more angular and dynamic. Hair thrown back is the hair of a man leaping forward. Gel just freeze-frames hair in an evocative position. So even if Akira's just sitting at a desk signing memos, visual cues are subonsciously telling you he's actually leaping out, to spear and drag you back to his cave for a good roast! Shocked (Well, you know what I mean.)
Nine Kuze 08-28-2006 03:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xel

So that's what Roger's been doing since the show ended. Gotta pay the bills somehow and he's finally changed his "no-guns" policy. Nice.

quote:
But I am trying to imagine him dancing, and... it... just... wrong.

So wrong... that's its absolutely right. The Big O - The Musical. Directed by Rob Marshall. Big Grin
Peace.
minespatch 08-28-2006 05:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
Originally posted by Xel

So that's what Roger's been doing since the show ended. Gotta pay the bills somehow and he's finally changed his "no-guns" policy. Nice.

quote:
But I am trying to imagine him dancing, and... it... just... wrong.

So wrong... that's its absolutely right. The Big O - The Musical. Directed by Rob Marshall. Big Grin
Peace.

i can see alan as the tennor.
SEELE 08 08-29-2006 12:31 AM
Allen would love Broadway he'd fit right in. He's about as straight as a dog's hind leg.