[Question] Custom avatar problem?

Xel 08-22-2006 02:49 PM
The "Use Custom Avatar?" box states:

quote:
Personal Avatars can only be of the file types listed below and must be within an image size limit of 110*110 pixels, as well as not exceeding a filesize of 29.30 KB.

There's a problem, though. I've recently tried to upload a number of different avatars, with no success at all. I always get the message that the avatar has exceeded the size specifications. Except... they don't. All of them are 100 x 100 pixels only, and none exceed 26 KB or so.

So I guess my question is... what exactly is the problem here?
Nine Kuze 08-22-2006 02:56 PM
Um, this happened to me once at X's site.

What type of file are these avatars you are making? I changed the file type and everything worked for me just fine. I don't know if that will do much but it's something.
Peace.
Xel 08-22-2006 03:07 PM
They're just regular, harmless ol' .jpgs. I somewhat fail to see why a .jpg, of all things, would be rejected.
X Prime 08-22-2006 04:01 PM
I think I know why...

Some programs can attach extra information to certain JPG images like what program was used, which apparently breaks the avatar uploader. Resave these images in another application without this extra info and it should work, but first please upload them here so I can look at them.
Krang 08-22-2006 09:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
I think I know why...

Some programs can attach extra information to certain JPG images like what program was used, which apparently breaks the avatar uploader. Resave these images in another application without this extra info and it should work, but first please upload them here so I can look at them.

Thanks for figuring that out. I'll apply the fix posted on the WBB forums which should hopefully solve this problem.
Nine Kuze 02-14-2007 09:58 AM
...It's not really a big deal or anything but I was trying to upload my new avatar (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... yay) in PNG and it didn't work. Fix it up as a JPEG and worked out fine. Just want to know what's up with that is all.

EDIT: Here's the PNG avatar just in case. Just checked it out, its seems to be that the size is too large (around 32 KB). Can someone help me out with that?
Peace.
X Prime 02-14-2007 10:33 AM
Jeez dude, this isn't TDottle with my exorbitant wasting of webspace.

Let me run it through PNGGauntlet.
Nine Kuze 02-14-2007 10:37 AM
Oh you...

Actually I fixed it up as a JPEG and that's working, so yeah.
Peace.
X Prime 02-14-2007 10:39 AM
Hmmm...
Nine Kuze 02-14-2007 10:57 AM
Hot damn, yeah it worked.

Thanks, X-sah. *where's that love heart smilie?*
Peace.