My Theory... (pretty long)

OpVines 08-17-2006 02:53 PM
Alright, I was lying in bed one day when I was thinking about Big O, then The Matrix popped into my head and it got me thinking. I worked up this theory and I believe it covers all the major events, characters.

I believe the whole series of Big O is a personification of the process within a computer system. As time goes on, the files on a computer tend to corrupt and become infested with viruses. This "computer" represents Paradigm City. To protect the "computer", you need the help of an anti-virus (Roger). Now there are corrupt files (Schwarzwald, Gabriel, etc.) and there are the viruses. Well, who represents the virus? Alex Rosewater and Big Fau do.

On a computer system, most viruses try to take control of the computer and make it its own. Isn't this exactly what Rosewater does? He tries to destroy parts of the "computer" and its "files" (citizens of Paradigm) to attain completely control over it.

So what does this make Angel and Big Venus? Angel is the user of the computer while Big Venus is her System Restore program. Angel uses Big Venus to wipe the memory (which is exactly what happens in a system restore) from her computer and start over anew. That is why there's a repetition of the idea with the tomatoes. The people of Paradigm City are copies of their original "programs" and retain the same programming, but does that then make the new programs the original?

From what we are shown, everytime Big O loses or is on the verge of losing, Angel steps in her with system restore to save the computer. Without her anti-virus to protect the computer, the virus wins and control the system, possibly destroying it. This is why we see the scene with the manufactured Roger Smiths. After a system restore, the smartest thing to do is to redownload an anti-virus to protect the system as soon as possible. He is unable to escape his programming, so every reboot of Paradigm City, he's always the protector.

After Big O's super cannon megablast explosion failure thing renders itself completely incapacitated, Big Fau is on the verge of destroying it. At that exact instant, Big Venus appears and starts the system restore. Roger tries to negoiate with Angel, but it seems to fail. This is because a true system restore, the one needed to get rid of all the viruses and corruptions, erases everything from the computer. In the ending credits we are shown the scene from Act 01. I highly doubt this represents the starting point after the reboot. And since no time is given, who's to stay that it's not 40 years after the reset when the story begins again?

So what does that make Dorothy? Well, I believe Dorothy is the "RAM" (Random Acess MEMORY - MEMORY! Come on, completely obvious!) of Paradigm City. If you don't know what RAM is, it's the memory that determines how many programs/how fast those programs run. She's connected to the Bigs, which are the most powerful programs on the system. Think about it. To reach their full potential they need Dorothy's MEMORY. Big Fau was complete when he attained the Dorothy Unit which contained her memory and Big O was only able to do that big super explosion failure cannon. Of course for an anti-virus to do such a huge attack against the virus to destroy it, will take an absurb amount of RAM.
Okay.

I believe I've covered most of the major characters and events. But if I happened to overlook anything or if you have questions, please feel free to reply. I'm sure there's things I haven't covered but I thought of this theory myself a few days ago and was proud of it that I wanted to share it with you guys.

Also, the setting may also help in my theory. We see that under Paradigm are large mechanical gears, which means Paradigm's a type of system. And when the system restore activates, everything turns into a grid. Grids are used mostly to show simulation, I.E.- the simulation of the inner workings of a computer. And at the end, Angel is watching everything from a screen in what looks like it could be a computer desk.
Travis Bickle 08-17-2006 03:31 PM
I think you looked a bit too in depth with all of this. That's just my two cents, though.

(Meaning I don't think that this is at all highly probable)
evanASF27 08-17-2006 04:58 PM
This is actually a very interesting theory Shocked Most of the pieces fit, and even if it's not what the writers were thinking (we'll never know w/o season3) it's a very good analysis.

If I may ask a question concerning the computer theory.... what would Schwarzwald be concidered? Search Function or something? (totally serious question)
The Big Finale 08-17-2006 05:01 PM
Eh, I dunno. Any explanation for why Angel would appear represented inside the computer interacting with all the programs, or why Roger and Dorothy show up with Angel, presumably in the real world, right before Big Venus erases Big O?
Jonny Axehandle 08-17-2006 07:10 PM
Wow, that DOES take everything into account. Not a whole lot of theories can do that. Good work Tongue
OpVines 08-17-2006 07:19 PM
Schwarzwald is a corruption that results over time, like the malfunctioning of programs on most computers over time. Like Alex as well, Schwarzwald was at one time a regular citizen (normal program) but deviated from the norm and corrupted.

Schwarzwald is also a virus, just lacked the RAM (Dorothy/her memory) needed to run at full potential in Big Duo and wasn't able to go very far in terms of controlling the city. I don't remember his quote exactly but it was along the lines of "I'll show them my power!" Schwarzwald is exactly like Alex.

Edit: Schwarzwald might also be spyware too, another malignant entity on a computer. A spyware searches for information from the computer just as Schwarzwald was trying to find out information about Paradigm City before the system restore.

And for the end before the reboot starts, I believe Roger and Dorothy appear physically by Angel to try to reinforce their plea for her not to reboot the city. A tear comes down Angel's face possibly signifying that she doesn't want to do it, but it must be done. A full system restore only not selectively erase files, it deletes all of them and starts out with the programs the computer came with.

The easiest explanation I can think of to Angel's reaction would be the scenario of a troop confronted with a child with a gun and the intent to kill. The soldier might cry because he doesn't want to kill the child, but it's necessary if he wants to protect himself and his other troops. Angel doesn't want to do it, but she has to in order to protect the city.

quote:
I think you looked a bit too in depth with all of this. That's just my two cents, though.

That's what a theory does. It analyzes everything and tries to explain everything. Most people prefer read theories because they have no idea what's going on and are interested in other people's takes on it. I mean, if you take Big O at face value, all you're left with is some guy who pilots a robot with his android and destroys other robots and lives in a city whose memories are erased every so often. I went in-depth to try to prove my theory's validity but the theory itself is one of the simpliest things in the world.
Inigo Montoya 08-17-2006 07:45 PM
What would be the Blue Screen of Death?
paradoxx 08-17-2006 07:49 PM
act 14, when roger is lost and kind of froze in place.
OpVines 08-17-2006 07:56 PM
Uh yeah, now that's just being silly. My theory was to explain that the show follows the basic principle of a computer system, not that it follows every single detail. If we're going to do that, let's point out that my theory doesn't utilize the internet, or a recycle bin, or MS-DOS.

Although, I will say the the "blue screen of death" you're talking about is when Big O and Big Fau fight. On Windows XP, you only get a blue screen if there's an operating system failure, which almost always results in a forced system restore. Their fight destroyed many people (programs) assumingly and logically and destroyed the mainframe (Central Dome) resulting in a forced system restore.
Naraku 08-20-2006 10:13 AM
It could uUh yeah, now that's just being silly. My theory was to explain that the show follows the basic principle of a computer system, not that it follows every single detail. If we're going to do that, let's point out that my theory doesn't utilize the internet, or a recycle bin, or MS-DOS.

The internet could be explained a little, the desert is the internet and foreign people and megadueses are files and programs off of it or from other computers.
minespatch 08-21-2006 07:09 PM
so what your saying is that alan gabriel is alike to Schwarzwald. then why did Schwarzwald kill alan?
OpVines 08-23-2006 04:52 PM
Guys, I'd appreciate it if you used a little common sense. Schwarzwald and Alan are both corruptions in a computer and Alan tries to hijack Big Duo from Schwarzwald, but is rejected. Schwarzwald didn't literally kill Alan, it was just that he was in Big Duo at the same time as it killed Alan. Many malware may try to hijack your programs or change them, even invading the space of other malware.

I believe that both of them are merely corrupted malware competing for the tool to take over the computer.

And I like the desert-internet theory. It does make sense. And that's where Big Duo was found. If you make the link that Big Duo is spyware, it's like the spyware travelled through the internet to get into the computer. Big Grin
minespatch 08-23-2006 08:28 PM
can a malware such as alan reappear again?
OpVines 08-24-2006 02:14 AM
Yes. After each reset, it is only a matter of time before people become corrupted and turn into viruses and malware. You might be thinking that regular computer programs don't turn into viruses on their own. But if you apply this to real life theory, it makes sense. A murderer is not born a murderer, he becomes one for whatever reason. And as such, it's more appliable to computer physics because most personal computers will become infected with some type of malware, even if the user has all the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs ever created running at once.
minespatch 08-24-2006 07:53 PM
interesting, if they make a third season, i hope that is the case.
Tsukaggin 08-25-2006 03:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch

I for one don't. It doesn't fit. It's a good THEORY, in that it can hold it's own, but it just doesn't fit Big O any more then it all being an Alien test.
minespatch 08-26-2006 08:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukaggin
quote:
Originally posted by minespatch

I for one don't. It doesn't fit. It's a good THEORY, in that it can hold it's own, but it just doesn't fit Big O any more then it all being an Alien test.

then again, i'll just have to wait until third season.
OpVines 08-26-2006 09:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukaggin

Mind explaining to me what part doesn't fit? I believe I've explained all the major characters and their role. It doesn't fit Big O because the characters don't come out and say they're a personification of a computer system like ReBoot does? And I feel pretty offended that you would compare it to being an alien test. Mainly because, uh, there's nothing suggesting aliens anywhere. That's why I typed out my whole theory, to show you that it DOES fit Big O.
Tsukaggin 08-26-2006 09:47 PM
Theres nothing suggestive of this anywhere eather. Go look at some Alien theory threads. They are as solid as yours. It doesn't fit the feel or theme of the Big O. Computer systems aren't really a theme. I think they've introduced all the themes they are going to. If they turn around and pull a stunt like this at the last minute, it would feel forced in my opinion. It simply doesn't fit to me.
OpVines 08-27-2006 02:50 AM
You're misinformed what a "theme" is. A theme is a unifying idea that occurs multiple times throughout a work of art. For example, a theme of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is that people who live outside of society may be more civilized than those in society.

Uh, yeah computer systems aren't a theme. I never stated it was a theme. The idea that people aren't controlled by their memories is a theme. What you probably mean is theory. My theory shows that the plot and characters of Big O all follow a very specific scheme.

And what do you mean nothing is suggestive of this? My whole theory itself explains everything that suggests this. All the characters suggest this. Hell, even the SETTING suggests this. Come on, the whole world turns into a grid. Not just Paradigm City, all of it. All of it as far as we can see turns into a grid. And what about all those machines and gears underneath the city? And what about Angel sitting in a chair watching everything from a screen? And what about Roger seeing robotic Roger Smiths in production? And what about how Dorothy can communicate with all the Bigs and they all become stronger with her or her memory? They didn't just go up and pull it at the last second. Everything in the series has backed up the idea more and more.

I like how you just say "it doesn't fit the feel" without stating anything specific, especially as to why you think "it doesn't fit the feel." If you were a prosecutor for a court and you just said to the judge "I just don't feel like he's telling the truth" then you'd be thrown out on your face. An effective debater will point out WHY a statement seems to be false. So if you're going to claim my theory is false, you should explain the parts that are wrong and don't fit.