The Dark Knight: 2008

Fujiko 08-01-2006 05:32 AM
For those who haven't figured it out, this is a thread for the next Batman movie coming out in 2008. Smile

It appears that The Joker will definitely be a part of the plot, and that Heath Ledger will play this most awesome villain.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060801/en_movies_eo/19646

I honestly don't know how to respond to this, except that if he can do it and do it well, he will make me incredibly happy.
X Prime 08-01-2006 05:36 AM
This movie has already failed.

Why, you ask? Simple.

Mark Hamill isn't the Joker.
Dangerous 08-01-2006 06:51 AM
is that just after batman begins ? because the joker died ...
Wazpy 08-01-2006 07:18 AM
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who thought Batman Begins was corny bag of suck. Someone could make a better movie with a $100 budget and a writer who can write detective stories rather than a writer who likes to explain... tiny details about a costume...
Travis Bickle 08-01-2006 07:51 AM
Batman started off as BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS, if I'm not mistaken.

But this is going to be awesome, methinks.
The Big Finale 08-01-2006 09:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Why, you ask? Simple.

Absolutely factual.
088nd 08-01-2006 09:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who thought Batman Begins was corny bag of suck. Someone could make a better movie with a $100 budget and a writer who can write detective stories rather than a writer who likes to explain... tiny details about a costume...

There hasn't been a good Batman movie since Batman Returns.

Honestly, how can you top Jack Nicholson as The Joker? You just can't.
Generalissimo D 08-01-2006 02:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
quote:

Why, you ask? Simple.

Absolutely factual.

He's right.
Travis Bickle 08-01-2006 02:38 PM
Mark Hammil is an amazing voice actor. Outside of Star Wars, he's a terrible actor.
Jonny Axehandle 08-01-2006 03:10 PM
The should have taken Seth Green.
Nine Kuze 08-01-2006 03:48 PM
quote:

Why, you ask? Simple.

Well said, X. Hamill kicked ass as the Joker in the animated series.

quote:
is that just after batman begins ? because the joker died ...

Begins was a prequel to the Batman franchise, starting off with Bruce Wayne first becoming Batman. So really its like Begins, the first Batman, Returns... we'll just skip the other two.

And my question is why Ledger? It just seems like a better casting choice could have been done here. I'm knockin' Ledger but I like Joker homicial... not brokeback.
Peace.
The Big Finale 08-01-2006 03:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Begins was a prequel to the Batman franchise, starting off with Bruce Wayne first becoming Batman. So really its like Begins, the first Batman, Returns... we'll just skip the other two.

Falsehood. Batman Begins is a restart of the movie continuity. It's got nothing to do with the Burton films.
Nine Kuze 08-01-2006 04:19 PM
quote:
quote:

Falsehood. Batman Begins is a restart of the movie continuity. It's got nothing to do with the Burton films.

Really? I always thought that's how they were doing it. If that's true Big Finale, then my mistake.

I also heard a while ago that Sean Penn was in talks in being the Joker.
Peace.
Zopwx2 08-02-2006 02:11 AM
As a batman junkie I've been all over this.

But know this:

Nolan's brother jonathan will pen the script. based on goyer/chris ideas +1
Penguin role is implied, rumored in more of a high class arms dealer type. +1
Harvey Dent not yet 2face +1
Ledger as joker -1

batman 2 = The Dark Knight

I have 2 finals tomorrow.
pen1300 08-02-2006 06:33 PM
I've seen a good chunk of Heath Ledger movies and I think he'll pull this off REALLY well. I mean, just watching him in the bit of BrokeBack I did watch and when I watched him in Cassanova, he was HILARIOUS. And he was great as a bumbly character in Brothers Grimm. He's very talented [and very pretty...Drooling ].

I personally think he's got the talent to be The Joker and with Christain Bale still as Batman [ Big Grin ], I'm going to be a happy camper. I love Batman's mythology and the last movie just ROCKED.

Another plus to this movie is that these are two of my fave actors in one shot. YES! Drooling

Later,
Pen1300
Hanyou 08-06-2006 09:01 PM
I think Ledger would have been better suited to the role of Harvey Dent, though now that the Joker is cast, all I can say is...

Joaquin Phoenix for Dent. Seriously.

I'm really looking foreward to this film and I hope to God Nolan doesn't screw it up. I mean, Begins was so amazing it would be hard to imagine him doing so...but part of what made Begins amazing was its sense of realism and I'm quite afraid that Batman may lose that edge as time passes.

Also, I hope Ledger doesn't play the Joker as a silly character. I want a dark version of the Joker, almost like John Doe in Seven (no kidding). He should be repulsive, horrible, and hateable, and we should feel no sympathy for him. Which is why I also hope they don't explore an origin story for him. Leave it to Dent to be the sympathetic villain.

Anyway, my two cents.
Gummibear 08-18-2006 10:13 AM
I can't really envision Heath Ledger as the Joker but it seems like a sound choice. Honestly it was a surprising announcement but I'm confident that Heath (being the actor he has proven himself to be) will lend very well to Nolan's more "realistic" version of Batman. It's a good thing that we don't know how Ledger with handle the role, it just gives me more confidence that Nolan was sucessful in finding a convincing Joker. I mean he did a pretty excellent job casting the first film. Christian Bale & Cillian Murphy were spot on (with the exception of Mrs. Katie Cruise).

I have faith in Nolan but there is one actor I wouldn't like to see on the creds. Katie Holmes...

Reasons;

1- Rachel Dawes has served her purpose as is no longer interesting as a character (well she never was)
2- Christian & Katie have negative chemistry...
3. Rachel Dawes could have been played more convincingly by a stronger actress.
4- it would just be tiresome for Rachel to be (one again) the "damsel-in-distress" it would just seem like a repitition of the first film.
The Big Finale 08-19-2006 05:43 PM
Huh, weird. I think I'm the only person on the planet who actually liked Rachel as a character.
Nine Kuze 08-19-2006 05:52 PM
quote:
Huh, weird. I think I'm the only person on the planet who actually liked Rachel as a character.

Yes. Yes, you are.

Nah, I'm kiddin' but that's cool to hear that Penguin might be in the movie. And who's the damsel going to be in this movie?
Peace.
Gummibear 08-19-2006 10:54 PM
quote:
quote:

Yes. Yes, you are.

Nah, I'm kiddin' but that's cool to hear that Penguin might be in the movie. And who's the damsel going to be in this movie?
Peace.

Sorry...I didn't mean any to say that Rachel was an awful character, not by any means. Let me rephrase, I just felt that Rachel sort of furfilled her part in the creation of the Batman character. She really isn't needed to further the story, that's just my opinion, of course. Smile

In response to who the female lead is going to be. So far I've heard Katie Holmes, but that was a very long time ago pre-Suri. I also heard that Talia Al-Ghul was a favorite to make an appearance. It makes sense to me. Selina Kyle was also tossed out there, but I don't think she'll be in this film probably later on if they make mroe but even then it'll probably be a small introduction. The studio probably wants to wipe away any association with the Paitence Philips "Catwoman" flick.