Is R.Dorothy ageless and immortal?

DorothyFan1 07-28-2006 07:54 PM
I've been wondering about R.Dorothy and her aging ability. She looks the same in both seasons and this has me wondering whether she's immortal and can't grow old. The hint from Roger Smith doesn't add up because it's possible he is a clone of a previous Roger Smith. Based on the photo he discovers of himself posing with Gordon Rosewater made me suspect Roger himself was an android clone or a tomato. But nothing about R. Dorothy. We know she's built to the specifications on Dr. Waynewright's daughter who died...perhaps she was a Dominus class. But I've heard nothing to suspect R.Dorothy will ever age and become old. Anybody with ideas on this?
paul1290 07-28-2006 08:09 PM
There was an android from Act 15 that aged but I'm not sure if Dorothy was made the same way.
David Ryder 07-28-2006 09:52 PM
well she's a machine then I'm not sure why she would age but hey, it's something they could explain if a 3rd season is ever made.
X Prime 07-28-2006 10:59 PM
Dorothy is not immortal by virtue of needing oil to function.
Robot7290 07-29-2006 02:12 AM
Yeah, they do need oil, and in "Negotiations with the Dead", it is revealed that androids live and eventually "die", but at a much slower rate. That one android guy said that they last much longer, but his time is nearing to a close.

For Roger in that old photo, I really don't know. That may have been a failed Roger clone, because when Gordon sees the picture, and brings the two halves of the picture together, he says something along the lines of "I hired Roger Smith". Then he restates the sentence saying "I hired a Roger Smith". A Roger Smith, the A being crucial there. Also, Gordon says that this Roger Smith (the one there with him, in the present) is NOT one of his beloved tomatoes. Those Roger clones were most likely his beloved tomatoes. So I myslef believe that the Roger Smith in the old photograph of a young Gordon Rosewater is truly not the Roger Smith we know, but a clone/android/whatever of Roger Smith.
Shadow dorothy 07-29-2006 01:12 PM
No android is immortal, but they themselfs cann't age or grow up to our standards she'll just grow older mentaly but not phiclay.
DorothyFan1 07-29-2006 08:41 PM
I'm reminded of the altnerate ending to Blade Runner the sci fi classic by Ridley Scott that has Decker "remember" who he really was (a replicant modelled after the real Blade Runner Deckard) and says this about Rachel..."she was special...no inception dates." - meaning she gets to live indefinitely.

If the clues about Dorothy being the Dominus of Big Fau and possibly being the mastermind of Paradigm City I doubt Dorothy has any aging ability. There was something about the way she acted around Roger that has me thinking Dorothy is immortal. It's like Dorothy can outlast Roger's playboy persona and by her presence wear down his false pretense and make him come to his senses.

I don't know if I want to see a Season 3 anymore...if only because I'm afraid "they" will ruin it by not being faithful to the vision of Paradigm and all that was done to make it such a wonderful place to be in. It wouldn't work without Schwarzwald haunting Roger Smith, etc. But what about Big O novels? Hmmm?! Now that's workable. Who would have to sign off on that so we can at least get Big O continuing in the world of fiction?
Big Jauln 07-30-2006 02:04 PM
Dorothy maybe ageless but, maybe she's not immortal.
Shadow dorothy 07-30-2006 07:00 PM
I'd say if anything that she's just got an extremely long life span.
BigPrime 08-02-2006 12:01 PM
Rule #1 of Anime Robots: They function until they break. Roscoe likely let himself grow old, so as not to attract attention to himself. Doubtless he could keep himself in perfect repair, but people would quickly notice the ageless Senator, and with no memory of human-type Androids remaining after the Event, it would raise many undue questions. As long as Dorothy is kept in repair, she should not "grow old" unless she chooses to do so.
Dangerous 08-03-2006 05:03 AM
I believed that androids could change physically with time. Just look at episode 15, the old man, Roger's client, an android who became physically older after time.
X Prime 08-03-2006 06:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
Rule #1 of Anime Robots: They function until they break. Roscoe likely let himself grow old, so as not to attract attention to himself. Doubtless he could keep himself in perfect repair, but people would quickly notice the ageless Senator, and with no memory of human-type Androids remaining after the Event, it would raise many undue questions. As long as Dorothy is kept in repair, she should not "grow old" unless she chooses to do so.

Or until there's no more oil.
ANTI-Big-o 08-16-2006 01:37 AM
like that guy in negtion whith the dead says we dont ae as fast as you but we do get our shares of aches or something liek thatEmbarrassed Sweatdrop
Knightskye 08-20-2006 01:23 PM
quote:
Then he restates the sentence saying "I hired a Roger Smith". A Roger Smith, the A being crucial there.

Well, there could be a teacher walking into a classroom in a school looking for someone. And if they do not know anyone there, that is the way that they could phrase their question, "Is there a Jimmy Feldman here?" So it could be either one. The 'a' really isn't that crucial, because there's another reason why he could have said it. But it does make sense though.
OpVines 08-20-2006 05:56 PM
Also, people can sometimes substitute adjectives for names. On the show "Friends" I remember one particular episode where Monica's mom told her "[she] pulled a Monica". Another example is if someone does something incredibly thoughtless and bold it might be destroyed as "they pulled a Paris Hilton." It's possible Gordon was trying to substitute "negotiator" with "Roger Smith" since he seems to be the only negotiator we ever see.

"I hired a Roger Smith." -> "I hired a negotiator."