Is the Trigun Maximum manga finished in Japan?

Paradigm Dog 07-20-2006 04:50 PM
I can't find a straight answer anywhere. I'm always suprised though, from time to time, when I hear sites say that the Trigun manga is still continuing in Japan. Is this true? Nightow-san hasn't ended it yet? It just seems remarkable that it'd still be ongoing after the iconic anime series it inspired has been done for a while. So, is it done or not?

...I realize Maximum is very different and longer than the anime, so I'm also curious how this will affect the movie Madhouse supposedly has in the works. Might they pull a Hellsing Ultimate with the Trigun movie and make it more based on the manga?
David Ryder 07-20-2006 06:30 PM
As far as I know Mr. Nightow is still doing the trigun manga. Infact I think vol. 15 of the manga was released in japan not to long ago. And just so everyone knows
spoiler (highlight to read):
wolfwood still dies
and also
Livio takes wolwoods place after his evil side (Lazlo, it's spelled Razlo but me thinks that's engrish) is killed.
Paradigm Dog 07-27-2006 02:24 AM
Thanks for the reply!
David Ryder 07-27-2006 08:33 AM
quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Not a prob. As I to wonder if Nightow actually still works on the thing sometimes, but vol. 15 in the newest I think. Now if he could work on some more Gungrave, that would be quite nice.
Paradigm Dog 07-27-2006 03:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Not a prob. As I to wonder if Nightow actually still works on the thing sometimes, but vol. 15 in the newest I think. Now if he could work on some more Gungrave, that would be quite nice.

Yes, more Gungrave would be awesome. See, I was under the impression he had finished Trigun and had moved onto Gungrave, but it sounds like he's been going back and forth. In some ways, it'd be cool if he did a Gungrave manga. Nightow news has been scarce lately, when it was booming only a few years back.

Gungrave reaction:
I thought the anime told a really good emotional story, but that it really cheaped out the stylish action and setting of the revenge arc of Gungrave from the first video game. The Overdose sequel game was cool, but sort of went over the top by the end in the story department. It'd be great to see a Gungrave 3, but I can't imagine where it'd go. Overdose was forcing things as it was without Harry.

By the way, I think that the Trigun and Gungrave universes might be the same ones at different times in history: the animals in the race track betting and the whole thing with SEED and aliens from the second game. In fact, the Necrolization Project is probably based off of samples of what Vash and Knives were or something.
David Ryder 07-27-2006 04:23 PM
Saying Trigun and Gungrave are the same universe is streaching it. I always saw it as this. Sure they used the Thomas things, and other things but I think it was more "Hey look folks Nightow made Trigun, and trigun is awesome, so ya know buy this!" sorta thing. I think they could easily do another Gungrave, just whip up another batch of characters and bad guys and where ready to go.
Green_Bird 07-27-2006 04:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
Saying Trigun and Gungrave are the same universe is streaching it. I always saw it as this. Sure they used the Thomas things, and other things but I think it was more "Hey look folks Nightow made Trigun, and trigun is awesome, so ya know buy this!" sorta thing. I think they could easily do another Gungrave, just whip up another batch of characters and bad guys and where ready to go.

Agreed. I personaly just thought the Trigun reffrences were more or less easter eggs sort of like Kuroneko-sama was a reffrence to a past manga series that Nightow did. I just don't see the conections between the two series other then the reffrences.

I would basicly rather see a Gungrave manga. The games were suposed to be a full blown series of anime, manga and videos anyway. If we do get more gungrave then it'll probaly be that or another game. A second anime series is down right imposible...
Schoolie 07-27-2006 07:37 PM
Isn't there a Trigun 2 OVA, movie, or miniseries coming out sometime? I heard it was in progress.
David Ryder 07-27-2006 07:42 PM
quote:
Isn't there a Trigun 2 OVA, movie, or miniseries coming out sometime? I heard it was in progress.

Yeah. The head guy at Madhouse said they are working on a new trigun movie. I just hope they clean up the engrish. Ya know no more Mei/May City, or cofee and restlant.