Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z

Asirt 07-12-2006 10:24 PM

Remember this! We are the Powerpuff Girls Z!

Summary -

It is a peaceful day in Tokyo City for Professor Utonium and his son, Ken. However, when a bean paste bun causes a reaction to "Chemical X", it becomes a stronger substance named "Chemical Z". As soon as this happens, strange weather conditions occur all over the world. The iceberg near the city is the source of the problem. Ken attempts to fire the beam using "Chemical Z", despite not being fully tested. The beam is fired and destroys the iceberg, but sends out beams of lights to various parts of the city.

The white beams of light hits three normal middle school girls (Momoko Akatsutsumi, Miyako Goutokuji, Kaoru Matsubara). Using the power of "Chemical Z", they have the ability to transform into superheroines known as the "Powerpuff Girls Z". Their hero names are "Hyper Blossom", "Rolling Bubbles", and "Powered Buttercup". However, little do they know that there are also black beams of light that also hit various places, including a monkey from the city zoo. He turns into the evil villain "Mojo Jojo" with a plan to take over Tokyo City. The girls must now save Tokyo City from all evil that stand in their way. Let the insanity begin!

Current Info -

The first season is done airing in Japan, and the majority of the fans seem to enjoy it. Some like it, others think it's lame due to the performance of a few episodes. Regardless, it's bound to turn some heads and raise a few eyebrows on everyone, even at the PPG haters.

Word has it that it also bought in non-anime fans as well, due to the fact that it is based off the popular cartoon series The Powerpuff Girls. The series is currently very popular in Japan. Because of its popularity, there are already many fan-made material on the Internet. such as Doujinshi, fan-fiction, and other materials.

No word on the US release, though the first three DVDs has already been released, with the rest of the series being released on DVD every month. While there was no announcement about an US release this year, that doesn't mean it won't ever come here.

Twelve episodes of the second season has already been aired in Japan.

Observations -

People have complained about the fact that Blossom take a lot of the screen time in the first opening and first two ending themes. People have also said that the series is starting to push the "lolicon" meter in terms of fanservice, and "moe" meter in terms of cuteness. People believe that this new series is "The Powerpuff Girls" in name only, as there are more differences than similarities. Also, fans of the original have continuously complained about the action. Compared to the original, the action is clearly lacking.

Fans from the US have complained about the lack of creativity in the later episodes. After the appearance of "HIM", the show has had some bad episodes with villains that are not creative at all. The fate of PPGZ will ultimately be determined by the Japanese audience. The second season has greatly reduced the amount of bad episodes, but they still exist. Fans of PPGZ have agreed that the episodes featuring "HIM" are the best ones yet.

The majority of US fans were greatly disappointed with the "The Rowdyruff Boys" episode. Some of the complaints included not having any action, and also no character development as well. It seems that the series relies more on the humor and "cuteness" side than on the action side, which is somewhat typical for a "magical girl" series. Fans also seem to want to have the RRB and the PPGZ as a couple, which isn't likely to happen.

Having observed the recent ratings over at TV Tokyo (courtesy of pKjd), PPGZ is one series with the lowest ratings with a whooping 1.4, whereas other shows such as Yugioh! GX have a rating of 4.4 or higher. Will this mean that the series will only have 52 episodes? We'll find out soon enough.

OP's Opinion of Season One -

Having seen all 26 episodes of the first season, I can truly say that this show is very good. It's not the greatest anime series of 2006, or the best one out there, but it's good for a few laughs and some fun. My favorite episodes are 3, 6, 12, 14, 16, 20, 22, and 26. There have been a few episodes that were rather dull and boring, but the good and bad qualities of the show are equal.

It is definitely a "hate it or love it" kind of show. Not everyone will enjoy it, and even if you're a fan of the original series, you may not like what you see in the first 26 episodes. The final episode gave me hope that the series will become better as time goes on. Then again, I don't know that for sure.

Home of the Z Girls -

Toei Animation's PPGZ Home Page
TV Tokyo's PPGZ Home Page
Aniplex's PPGZ Home Page
Cartoon Network Japan's PPGZ Home Page

Z Girls on TV! -

You can download the insanity at Animesuki
Buy the Collector's Edition DVDs!
Buy the Regular Edition DVDs!

The Birth of the Z Girls -

PPG ends production in the US | PCF Thread Discussion
PPGZ announced in Japan | PCF Thread Discussion
Attack clip from the original PPGZ pilot episode | Attack clip subtitled in English
Transformation clip from the original PPGZ pilot episode

The Z Girls Hit The Books! -

Shiho Komiyuno's Home Page [Manga creator of PPGZ]
Ribon's Home Page [Magazine where PPGZ is serialized in]

DJ Z is in the House! -

TAICHI MASTER's Home Page [Music composer for PPGZ]
Hiroshi Nakamura's ANN Info Page [Music composer for PPGZ]
Nana Kitade's Home Page [Artist for the OP theme]
Yifei's Home Page [Artist for the ED theme]
HALCALI's Home Page [Group for the 2nd ED theme]
HOI FESTA's Home Page [Group for the 2nd OP theme]
wis-us's Home Page [Group for the 3rd ED theme]

Groovy Z Tunes, Man! -

DVD Menu Music # 1: Transformation - 0.84MB
DVD Menu Music # 2: Unknown Piece - 0.82MB

Z Voices Makes the World Go Round! -

Emiri Katou's Home Page [Voice of Momoko Akatsutsumi / Hyper Blossom]
Nami Miyahara's Home Page [Voice of Miyako Goutokuji / Rolling Bubbles]
Machiko Kawana's Profile Page [Voice of Kaoru Matsubara / Powered Buttercup]

Teh Zii ytmnd PWNZ U!!!1one -

What's Next?
Where is your God now?!
The New Powerpuff Girls... and it's Pedobear approved!
It's hentai waiting to happen!
lol, Powerpuff Girls anime
Katamari Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z

Other Materials -

The Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi [Created by Bleedman] | PCF Thread Discussion
PPGZ English Fandub [Episode 1 Clip and Promo available]
Wikipedia's PPGZ Page
Anime News Network's PPGZ Page
Sukaponta's Read Me! GIRLS! [The biggest PPG "otaku" in Japan]
PPGZ in a Nutshell [Parody created by Wonchop]

Z Photo Shoot! -

Moetron's PPGZ Screenshot Archive [Weekly episode coverage (now featuring Asirt's pans!)]
They're Here! PPGZ Panoramic Images [Asirt's take on the Z craze]
PPGZ Panoramic Images: The Second Raid! [Who said it was over?]
To The Z!'s PPGZ Panoramic Images [It's worth a shot, right?]
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-12-2006 10:48 PM
Oh dear god... Shocked I have to see this... I can't see the Powerpuff Girls in anime form and not see it.
David Ryder 07-13-2006 01:04 AM
So it's a japanatized version of the power puff girls? Umm yay? Now personally judging from that picture alone, in enough reason not to see it. I, for one detest the "magical girl" genre. There is just something disturbing about it.
X Prime 07-13-2006 01:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
So it's a japanatized version of the power puff girls? Umm yay?

According to 4chan commentary it's total crap.
David Ryder 07-13-2006 01:09 AM
quote:
According to 4chan commentary it's total crap.

I'm not surprised. Name changes are funny to, almost as funny as the japanese dub of Wacky Races, where good old Dick Dasterdly, becomes black devil king. oh japan.

Also a a Rice cake falls in? How lame can one get?
Volt 07-13-2006 01:39 AM
quote:
Accidentally a rice cake falls into Chemical X, and becomes Chemical Z.

...A ricecake.

I can't wait to hear about how they go super saiyin and collect small pocket monsters.
The Baker St. Irregular 07-13-2006 01:47 AM

I had to.
Asirt 07-13-2006 01:00 PM
Ain't that the truth, Mistress. Laughing Fans have been saying that this new series is "The Powerpuff Girls" in name only, since there are more differences than similarities.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-13-2006 01:02 PM
ZOMG!!! Shocked I just saw the first episode and...and...and... ... O M G!! Big Grin It's so freaking cute. It's almost too cute. It's a kid show. I...think I like it. o.O
David Ryder 07-13-2006 01:04 PM
52 episodes? Yeah no kidding, talk about milking it.
Big Money 07-13-2006 01:08 PM
Maybe this is somebody's idea of payback for the One Piece dub.

But I didn't like PPG to begin with, so... I dunno, its inexplicable, really.
Nine Kuze 07-13-2006 02:11 PM
Yeah, I remember R.Smith's thread way back when on the Powerpuff Girls and this anime version is a little weak in my book.

And yeah, WTF with the rice cake explaination. I wonder what other results would occur if different foods were thrown in.

quote:
Originally posted by B-Money
Maybe this is somebody's idea of payback for the One Piece dub.

B-Money for the win. Big Grin

For lack of a good thing, I really depised the fact that the original PPF girls had no notion of having real hands or fingers. So, if nothing else, that's a plus. And giving them real names as well.
Peace.
Ace378 07-13-2006 04:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
ZOMG!!! Shocked I just saw the first episode and...and...and... ... O M G!! Big Grin It's so freaking cute. It's almost too cute. It's a kid show. I...think I like it. o.O

Just saw the first episode as well and I gotta say i agree with Chitter-Box-Kat . Its not the worst thing I have ever seen and it is pretty funny even if it is a bit childish and maybe a little tacky. If nothing else I look forward to seeing how the villains will look in this new show and especially, I suppose, I look forward to seeing how their 3 arch-rivals (? not sure if they are arch-rivals or not but im talking about the three boys from the original ppg who were created by mojo jojo) will look and what weapons they will fight with.
Diverse Considerations 07-13-2006 05:12 PM
I suppose that there is some way that this could be worse. The only choice we have is to hang on tight and pray for singing or marshmallows at the end.

Or, if you prefer to listen to Wallace, we should hold on tight and think of Lancashire Hotpot.
evanASF27 07-13-2006 05:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:
Accidentally a rice cake falls into Chemical X, and becomes Chemical Z.

...A ricecake.

I can't wait to hear about how they go super saiyin and collect small pocket monsters.

You probably ain't too far off...

Damn that's the WORST explanation for 'creation of characters' to date.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-13-2006 07:27 PM
If you bothered watching the end credits like I did, you'd see for the breifest moment many villans. The Gang Green Gang, Princess, Sedussa, (if you look just hard enough) Him, Fuzzy Lumpkins...and others I probably didn't see.
Wingnut 07-13-2006 08:42 PM
Well for us that are super robot fans we can also see two famous weapons in (parody) action during this show. I am talking about the (Chodenki) Yo-yo and the (Goldien) Hammer.
Diverse Considerations 07-13-2006 09:27 PM
I was wrong, I was horribly wrong. There is no possible way that this could get worse.

Why do their transformations look like strip club dances?! Confused
Hobodoken 07-13-2006 10:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
Why do their transformations look like strip club dances?! Confused

It's the Japanese.

You remember Sailor Moon, right? Same thing, only with only three girls, and they fight a monkey instead of... whatever the hell they fought in Sailor Moon.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-13-2006 11:12 PM
They fough evil magic users from alternate dimensions. DON'T YOU PAY ATTENTION?

And Diverse Considerations, C'MON!! Shocked It's a kids show! A KIDS. FREAKING. SHOW. If it's not uuber cute and hyper, it's not gonna work.