GitS: SAC - Solid State Society

The Baker St. Irregular 07-09-2006 02:57 PM
[Updates] [ 8/16 - 2:48 Trailer] [ 8/23 - Bandai's Warning to Fansubbers ] [ 9/8 - Opening and Ending Songs, and a 2nd trailer ] [ 9/21 - Concept Nissan and Infiniti Cars in Solid State Society ]

Although it does have to do with Stand Alone Complex, I hope it's alright if I devote an entire thread to Solid State Society... Big Grin (I searched, and there was no thread for it.)

Production I.G recently posted a website about Solid State Society, the new made-for-TV GitS movie. Here's what it says about the story:

quote:

A.D. 2034. It has been two years since Motoko Kusanagi left Section 9. Togusa is now the new leader of the team, that has considerably increased its appointed personnel. The expanded new Section 9 confronts a rash of complicated incidents, and investigations reveal that an ultra-wizard hacker named the Puppeteer is behind the entire series of events.

In the midst of all, Batou, who was stalking the case on a separate track, encounters Motoko. She goes away after saying, "Stay away from the Solid State Society." Batou is left with a doubt in his mind. Could Motoko be the the Puppeteer?

The series of intriguing incidents that Section 9 faces gradually link together almost artistically. Who is the Puppeteer? What will happen to Batou's relationship with Motoko? What is the full truth behind this carefully planned perfect crime? And what will the outcome be? Mysteries surround the Solid State Society...

Tantalizing, no? Big Grin

Bandai announced (at Anime Expo, I think) that it has licensed this for American distribution, although no release date has been set.

Here're my thoughts so far: Huzzah! It is a very excellent time to be a GitS fan. Stand Alone Complex has been one of the best things to happen to anime in recent times, I'm sure, and it has been pulled off with much grace and respect to the original concepts it embodies. So there's no doubt that Solid State Society will continue this trend.

For some reason, I had thought that Solid State Society wasn't going to have the Section 9 characters we all know and love. I must have been brain-damaged or something. Sweatdrop But yay! They're all going to be there. And I was shocked to find out that after the Major leaves, Togusa (!) is made the leader in her stead. Shocked Togusa FTW, man. I freakin' love that guy. Anime Smile
Zopwx2 07-09-2006 07:54 PM
For sure I've been on top of this, as I'm a ginormous GitS fan.
Mr. Fortnight 07-09-2006 09:41 PM
Well, if you remember the first movie, the main antagonist was dubbed "The Puppetmaster", so having the leader of the new conspiracy as "The Puppeteer" should be quite a ringer to those that know what happened in the first movie.

While it looks like the SAC continuity is going it's own path for it's plots, this just cannot be a simple coincidence.

All in all, this should be interesting to watch, like the first series and second gig.
Nine Kuze 07-10-2006 02:57 PM
Cool, some news about Solid State Society. This is a damn good time to be a Ghost in the Shell fan and thanks for the info on it, my Mistress.

Togusa in charge of Section 9? I don't know what to say, its both weird as you know what and cool that Togusa got the lead of the group as well.

Also, yeah I thought of the Puppet Master from the movie as well and maybe this seasonis based off the emphasis of the movie. That should be interesting to see and also I heard this rumor:
spoiler (highlight to read):
My boy, and one of my favorite characters and revoluntaries, Hideo Kuze, might be in Solid State Society. I'm not sure about his role or if he'll be in the season for a majority of the time or just a minor role. But his ending in the 2nd GIG left an opening that he might make an appearance here.

So, if that's true, I'll be looking for that.
Peace.
Zopwx2 07-11-2006 11:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
My boy, and one of my favorite characters, Hideo Kuze, might be in Solid State Society. I'm not sure about his role or if he'll be in the season for a majority of the time or just a minor role. But his ending in the 2nd GIG left an opening that he might make an appearance here.

I thought he died at the end of 2nd gig? At least thats what I thought they were impling.
The Baker St. Irregular 07-11-2006 11:51 AM
<-- Still needs to see all of 2nd Gig. Embarrassed Sweatdrop

Oh, fooey! I go and make this thread, and I haven't even seen the whole second season yet. Mustn't... look at... spoilers...
Nine Kuze 07-11-2006 05:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
My boy, and one of my favorite characters, Hideo Kuze, might be in Solid State Society. I'm not sure about his role or if he'll be in the season for a majority of the time or just a minor role. But his ending in the 2nd GIG left an opening that he might make an appearance here.

I thought he died at the end of 2nd gig? At least thats what I thought they were impling.

Well my man, remember Kuze's plan was basically for everyone to discard the physical form (their bodies) and fuse and merge into one on the platform that is the superstructure (the Internet)? Basically, when the nuclear strike was supposed to happen, it would have looked like a suicide attempt by the refugees, which they were actually willing to go along with, and with that mind Kuze's revolution or in his case revenge was for everyone linked to him in Dejima to link up and merge their ghost into the Internet and from there, according to his theories, they would have merge into a new being in the Net.

If you remember, the Tachikomas destroyed their satelittes via suicide by crashing it into the nuclear warhead heading for Dejima Island. But before that happened, one AI appeared to have linked the Tachikomas ghosts into the space their created in the Internet when Motoko order them to in the beginning of the last episode (Endless GIG). So if you want to go with this, and along with the fact that Kuze's last words were "I'll go on ahead", you can (I have to a degree) come to a theory that like the Tachikomas, Kuze myself has linked his ghost into the superstructure that is the Internet and is still alive.

Hope that made sense, Zop. And for being the romantic that I'm, I like to think that for Motoko he's alive. Pleased

EDIT: Mistress, you haven't seen all of 2nd GIG yet? What's up and what have you been doing?! Yeah, if you're not the type you doesn't like to get spoiled, in case I do all the time, don't read the spoilers (like mine above) and it does get better and more dramatic as time goes by.
Peace.
The Baker St. Irregular 07-11-2006 11:00 PM
quote:
EDIT: Mistress, you haven't seen all of 2nd GIG yet? What's up and what have you been doing?! Yeah, if you're not the type you doesn't like to get spoiled, in case I do all the time, don't read the spoilers (like mine above) and it does get better and more dramatic as time goes by.
Peace.

I don't have cable, so I've been buying the DVDs. Oh Well So yeah. I'm up to where Kuze traded for the plutonium, and Batou's got him cornered. (Yay for Bandai/Manga that they'll be releasing the last two DVDs faster than the others!) I am foaming at the mouth for more Ghost, and Solid State Society just makes me want to go even more crazy-go-nuts!
Nine Kuze 07-12-2006 03:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
quote:
Peace.

I don't have cable, so I've been buying the DVDs. Oh Well So yeah. I'm up to where Kuze traded for the plutonium, and Batou's got him cornered. (Yay for Bandai/Manga that they'll be releasing the last two DVDs faster than the others!) I am foaming at the mouth for more Ghost, and Solid State Society just makes me want to go even more crazy-go-nuts!

Oh, so you're at the time of ther series where it really gets poppin'. Fabricate Fog and Embarrassed are one of the best episodes of 2nd GIG. The way both episodes end are nothing short of a cliffhanger and amazing. And one other thing, is S.S.S. a movie or a series because I've been hearing a little of both.
Peace.
Ano Hito 07-12-2006 10:40 PM
Shouldn't Batou be next in line for the spot as leader of Section 9?
The Baker St. Irregular 07-12-2006 11:01 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
quote:
Peace.

Oh, so you're at the time of ther series where it really gets poppin'. Fabricate Fog and Embarrassed are one of the best episodes of 2nd GIG. The way both episodes end are nothing short of a cliffhanger and amazing. And one other thing, is S.S.S. a movie or a series because I've been hearing a little of both.
Peace.

It's a made-for-TV movie that takes place after 2nd Gig. Smile Hey! Nowhere near as much as a series, but it's more Ghost, and that's good enough for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
Shouldn't Batou be next in line for the spot as leader of Section 9?

I thought the exact same thing, and then I remembered... I love Togusa, so I'm not in the least bit upset. Tongue I am, however, very curious to see the reason why he was assigned team leader over Batou. It must be a good one, 'cause stuff like this doesn't come out of nowhere like it can in other animes.
Zopwx2 07-12-2006 11:35 PM
quote:

Hope that made sense, Zop. And for being the romantic that I'm, I like to think that for Motoko he's alive. Pleased

For sure I need to rewatch 2nd gig. I only saw it once in japanese.
Wingnut 07-13-2006 08:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:

Hope that made sense, Zop. And for being the romantic that I'm, I like to think that for Motoko he's alive. :]

For sure I need to rewatch 2nd gig. I only saw it once in japanese.

AS has 2nd GIG in re-runs Wednesday nights (early Thrusday morning if you want to get technical) at 12:30.
The Baker St. Irregular 08-16-2006 01:23 PM
A 2:48 trailer is up for all to see! Even if you don't understand Japanese, these scenes from the upcoming TV movie will definitely get your blood racing! Big Grin
Wingnut 08-16-2006 03:22 PM
If CN doesn't bring this to the AS block sometime is '07 heads on Willams Street will roll like they did when they accidently broadcast episode 20 instead of 26 of Big O.
Looks like the full cast returns, all of the section 9 regulars are there, although I can't really tell what the Major is up to. Tougusa is running the game along with Batou, and Aramaki and the lady PM also return.
Also of minor interest is that Tougusa is now useing a standard automatic pistol instead of that revolver he always used.
Instro 08-16-2006 07:21 PM
Thanks for the posts, Mistress Samwise. I too am a card-carrying Togusa fan!
The Baker St. Irregular 08-16-2006 10:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Instro
Thanks for the posts, Mistress Samwise. I too am a card-carrying Togusa fan!

*high-fives*

Rock on, sister. Big Grin
Mr. Fortnight 08-16-2006 10:48 PM
I'm down with the Tachikomas. I hope there is at least one in it. Then I will be happy. Should be an interesting watch, indeed.
Zopwx2 08-16-2006 11:29 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay trailer
Inigo Montoya 08-16-2006 11:36 PM
This should be awesome.

But I don't believe Tachikomas are in it, given the timeline.