Cult Phenomenons

Patsai 07-07-2006 04:24 PM
There are some movies out there that never got its theatrical recognition it deserves, but mostly through word of mouth these movies became popular and brought forth a devoted fan base. I speak of cult classics, and I'm sure there are many of them out there.

In The Boondock Saints Special Edition DVD that a bought a couple of days ago, I stumbled upon a trailer for Donnie Darko, which I have yet to see but from the information on IMDb, is an awesome tribute to the psychological horror/thriller/drama genre. It suffered the same fate as The Boondock Saints with poor box office sales, but recieved huge DVD sales and a devoted cult following. Donnie Darko is about a teenage boy, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who suffers from delusions after an accident. A bunny named Frank forewarns him of the end of the world approaching, and with these scare tactics, gets Donnie to commit crimes for him. The question is, can you believe what your eyes show you, what your mind tells you?

"Donnie Darko" on IMDb
Hobodoken 07-07-2006 05:12 PM
I can't believe that that was the first you've heard of Donnie Darko. It's a fairly good movie, but lots of people are dead-set either for or against it.

Also, wouldn't a more appropriate title involve Donnie Darko, since this seems to be about that movie really?
Travis Bickle 07-07-2006 05:16 PM
Donnie Darko is essentially one of the 10 best movies of all time, and also probably the most mentally stimulating movie of all time.

Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Seven, Fight Club, Fear and Loathing, Blade Runner, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Brazil, Pi and Requiem for a Dream are also amazing "cult films".
Buck Buck #1 07-15-2006 12:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
Donnie Darko is essentially one of the 10 best movies of all time, and also probably the most mentally stimulating movie of all time.

Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Seven, Fight Club, Fear and Loathing, Blade Runner, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Brazil, Pi and Requiem for a Dream are also amazing "cult films".

I've seen most of those, but I realy want to see Brazil, and Eraserhead. I need to rewatch Taxi Driver, I fell asleep durring the whole murderous rampage part.
Sharpshooter005 07-15-2006 01:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bun Bun
[quote]Originally posted by Travis Bickle

At least half of those, and when I say half what I'm really referring to is fight club and fear and loathing (requiem for a dream kind of counts, clockwork orange..definately) have seemingly very large fanbases, or at least literally everyone I can think of having met since they were released has seen them. Often more than once, and will not stop talking about it.

Initially they may have had a cult fanbase, now...again I'd have to sort of dispute it.

Theres also a couple of david lynch movies listed, and now I feel bad since I haven't seen half as many of his movies as I should have. Furthermore it reminds me we're never, ever getting a complete dvd release of twin peaks (by which I mean a legitimate one, with the full pilot, at least not over here). That realization is just...its saddening.

quote:
It's a fairly good movie

Too bad southland tales is being almost universally panned, even by people who were positive about donnie darko (so it's not some anti-richard kelly bandwagon really)
David Ryder 07-15-2006 02:43 AM
whoa, wait Fight Club is cult? Since when? Everyone and their damn brother likes that movie. Session 9, now that's a cult movie, and a good one too.
Travis Bickle 07-15-2006 12:42 PM
When Donnie Darko came out, it was almost universally panned. So meh.
Diverse Considerations 07-15-2006 03:56 PM
Big Trouble in Little China. The sheer awesomeness of this movie is undeniable. Big Grin
pen1300 07-15-2006 07:50 PM
Plan 9 from Outer Space, directed by the award winning Ed Wood (awarded something like the worst director). I know it has a very bizarre following. Most hilarous movie I have ever seen and it's even better watching it after seeing Ed Wood with Johnny Depp (which I also consider a cult classic).

Rocky Horror Picture Show sorta is a cult classic. Not so much as it used to be in some respects, but still, people dress up and bring props during live performances and the movie.

I've always considered Monty Python and the Holy Grail one. I don't exactly know why but then I have a friend who could quote that movie backwards and forwards.

"Night of the Living Dead", maybe "Freaks" (at least on my campus thanks to a professor who has both of these on his syllubus. Best freaking class) "Rosemary's Baby" or some title like that. "Sunset Blvd"? "Edward Scissorhands"? "Princess Bride"?

I guess it all depends on your definition of a cult following.

Later,
Pen1300
evanASF27 07-15-2006 08:13 PM
According to friends of mine..."Blade Runner". It's a good movie to boot. Ahh...Film noir goodness Big Grin
Travis Bickle 07-15-2006 10:36 PM
quote:

The book is a million times better, though. Hopefully it'll be made into a movie one day. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" was sheer brilliance, and the movie was possibly better than Blade Runner.

But there are special editions of Blade Runner coming out on DVD really soon. I can't wait.
Sharpshooter005 07-16-2006 01:01 PM
quote:
But there are special editions of Blade Runner coming out on DVD really soon. I can't wait.

I thought it was out already?

I've only seen it..once on t.v. (though they air it constantly, I just almost always wind up catching the last 20 minutes) so I might as well just buy it.

quote:
When Donnie Darko came out, it was almost universally panned.

Well the one common thing in every review I'm seeing of southland tales is it apparently needs to be cut, heavily. Supposedly the directors cut of donnie darko, which I haven't seen, is a similar case where it works somewhat better with some of the footage out. So..maybe thats just a pattern and once its revised a bit prior to release it'll be better.
Travis Bickle 07-16-2006 01:44 PM
The original cut of Donnie Darko is better than the Director's cut, yeah. The director's cut pretty much splices in a bunch of the special features from the original DVD into the movie, as well as a couple of useless scenes.

And Blade Runner: The Director's cut has been on dvd for a while. However, the new DVD has 4 different cuts on it, which is badass. If you know anything about Blade Runner, you know that the version of the movie you watch matters greatly.