Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Discussion Thread)

Gummibear 07-06-2006 04:55 PM
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST!

I don't know about you guys, but to me this is THE most anticipated movie of the summer. In fact I'm a little surprised no one started a thread for this yet. In that case I shall be the first, 'cause I absoloutely adore Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp).

Despite my excitment for the film many of the reviews I've read are very negative (than again the first film didn't recieve rave reviews either). But nevertheless I'm looking forward to some swashbuckling (corny I know).

What I'm most looking forward to...(SPOILER)
spoiler (highlight to read):
in the trailers there looks like a scene where Elizabeth and Jack might kiss. I've read from several spoilers that this does occur...but...I'm not too clear as to why she does it.
Travis Bickle 07-06-2006 05:02 PM
I was actually gonna start the thread. I saw it two hours ago at a staff showing at the local movie theater. It was terrible (though I didn't like the first one).
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-06-2006 05:10 PM
I can't wait. I love Johnny Depp. I love pirates. And the two together is wunderba. I wanna see Dead Man's Chest! My two friends also like Johnny and want to see the movie.

YAY JOHNNY!! ~.~
David Ryder 07-06-2006 05:45 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna see it soon as well. I liked the first one, and this one does look pretty good too.
088nd 07-07-2006 03:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
I was actually gonna start the thread. I saw it two hours ago at a staff showing at the local movie theater. It was terrible (though I didn't like the first one).

I liked the first one. I just saw the second one, and can say, too, that this movie is horrible.
thebravest1 07-07-2006 09:31 AM
I really liked the movie. I saw the first showing and really enjoyed it. I especially liked the cg work that they did through out the movie it was very well done.
Nine Kuze 07-07-2006 04:29 PM
Um, I'd like to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie myself. The first one was good and I really liked it, but from what's being said about the second one, I'm not actually that surprised from negative comments and reviews as well.

quote:
Originally posted by GummibearWhat I'm most looking forward to...(SPOILER)
in the trailers there looks like a scene where Elizabeth and Jack might kiss. I've read from several spoilers that this does occur...but...I'm not too clear as to why she does it.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet (it should have in the first movie. You know what I'm talkin' about...). Anyway, lucky girl. ERR, I mean lucky GUY! Yes, lucky guy... Big Grin

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
The first movie was actually pretty good, but this movie felt like it's doing what The Matrix Reloaded did to the The Matrix.

Damn, now I'm kind of scared of watching it.
Peace.
Patsai 07-07-2006 04:50 PM
I hated it. The gag jokes weren't that funny, dialogue felt almost winged and unoriginal, and the special effects and action sequences overshadowed every other aspect of the film I felt the actors deserved better than being completely ignored. Then I had my party of friends convincing themselves in some way that they had a good time (midnight showing) while not feeling bad about the ending's ridiculous approach to the third movie's upcoming release.

The first movie was actually pretty good, but this movie felt like it's doing what The Matrix Reloaded did to the The Matrix.
angelcakes 07-07-2006 10:01 PM
quote:

I agree. I just went to see the movie with a friends. It had a few moments, but the first movie was definetely far better. The obvious lead in to the next movie at the end was really quite annoying.

Also...the Elizabeth/Jack thing...no. That element just made it seem like the Princess Diaries sequel where they completely removed first movies love interest and that movie was horrible -__-
Big Money 07-07-2006 11:00 PM
I really liked it. I think it helped that I knew it was going to end the way it did, and the ending was really the movie's weakest point. I really liked the cast of characters, and the crazy sea monster pirates.

I do have a question, though... What the hell was up with secret pirate torture island? It made... no sense.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-07-2006 11:16 PM
I saw it.
I liked it.
I'm sorry, it's hard for me to complain about this movie. IT'S GOT JOHNNY! Embarrassed Sweatdrop But I did feel some parts were a bit lacking. Though which, I can't recal. I could definently get a feel that some parts could have been handled better... But otherwise I liked it. Oh Well
Volt 07-07-2006 11:53 PM
Pretty good movie.
Sh**tiest cop-out ending ever.
Buck Buck #1 07-08-2006 12:15 PM
I agree with Volt, Just because you are making another one does not allow you to not have an ending. I think that the point of a movie is to tell a story, not set up a sequel. That's just insulting all of the people who had to pay to go see it.

quote:
this movie felt like it's doing what The Matrix Reloaded did to the The Matrix.

I was totally yelling that for about ten minutes after it got out.
088nd 07-08-2006 12:50 PM
Seriously, why the hell did they randomly decide to bring back an old character at the end? That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Gummibear 07-08-2006 03:53 PM
I saw it yesterday after at least a month of anticipation. I did enjoy the film. I felt like it did drag a bit in a few parts and the plot was somewhat confusing till the end where it cleared up a bit. There where diffenately some areas that were in dire need of editing. In short I enjoyed it and almost as much as the first one. The one thing that bothered me;

Barbosa's return at the end. It just renders the significance of Jack wasting his last shot in the first film totally nil. I disliked the ending for the most part (save for the kiss)

Otherwise I had an excellent time, just what a summer film should be really.

One other thing-
About the Elizabeth and Jack kiss. I was probably one of the few who thought it was good for the plot. Elizabeth did what she had to do to save the crew, by compromising her honor and using deception she chained Jack to the Pearl. Therefore she has become what she's secretly longed to be which is a pirate. I am an Elizabeth and Jack fan (obiviously) but I don't believe that Elizabeth will ever really end up with Jack. The reason her compass was probably pointing to Jack was of what he represented, which is her desire to be free and to lead a life of adventure also because he was the key to her & Will's freedom. I wasn't THAT shocked that she should kiss Jack, eventually. I think the tension was pretty evident since the first film.
Volt 07-08-2006 07:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Seriously, why the hell did they randomly decide to bring back an old character at the end? That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Agreed. Overall it seemed like the movie was more intent on throwing more monkey wrenches into everything than resolving any of the original plot points. Basically they threw every single point of the first movie out the window, and didn't resolve any of the first one. I can't wait to see how they explain this in the 3rd one.
Dark-0 07-08-2006 11:20 PM
I liked the ending it was a total surprise who would have thought but they should explain how that person came back. The whole giant octopuss thing kind of remind me of Deep Rising. Great movie same score from the first one with a twist. From the way things are going the movie already made $55.5 mil on the opening day breaking the record of Star Wars Ep 3. A great sequal I can't wait for the third one. Argh!
Gummibear 07-09-2006 01:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dark-0
I liked the ending it was a total surprise who would have thought but they should explain how that person came back. The whole giant octopuss thing kind of remind me of Deep Rising. Great movie same score from the first one with a twist. From the way things are going the movie already made $55.5 mil on the opening day breaking the record of Star Wars Ep 3. A great sequal I can't wait for the third one. Argh!

As of Sunday, it has been estimated that "Pirates" made $132 million dollars! That means it dethroned "Spiderman" for the opening weekend record! Shocked Now that's big!
David Ryder 07-09-2006 03:02 PM
I just got back. I liked it, and I thought it was quite well done.
Fujiko 07-09-2006 06:46 PM
I saw it last night. I liked it as well, and I really didn't mind the ending as much as I thought I would.

I already knew Barbosa would return, judging from what you guys were talking about.