Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Discussion Thread)

Dark-0 07-09-2006 08:40 PM
I check around and they say that Pirates 3 will be coming out in May of 2007. Filming of the 3rd will begin around late summer of 06. The title hasn't been announced either as word there getting another villian captain. Guess I have to wait for the 3rd to enjoy the trilogy.
Travis Bickle 07-09-2006 09:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dark-0
I check around and they say that Pirates 3 will be coming out in May of 2007. Filming of the 3rd will begin around late summer of 06. The title hasn't been announced either as word there getting another villian captain. Guess I have to wait for the 3rd to enjoy the trilogy.

Filming already started as soon as they were done with Dead Man's Chest. Also, Chow Yun-Fat will be a new villain captain. And it comes out 5/28/07, probably with the title of "At Worlds End"
Darkside 07-10-2006 04:29 PM
Saw it and I totally digged it. Everything about Davy Jones and The Flying dutchman was creepy and menacing, so that was pretty cool to me. The ending I thought was actually kinda cool. In short it was everything a summer movie should be, entertaining and fun to watch. Of course I had actually only went to see it because the Transformers teaser trailer was playing with it.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-10-2006 09:49 PM
Pretty good movie. But of course, I love pirates so whatever I say is terribly biased. Wasn't crazy about the cliffhanger, but I'll put up with it since I don't have to wait long for the next film.
Hobodoken 07-12-2006 07:40 PM
I liked it, but I felt it was pushing the sequel bit waaay too much. It was fairly annoying how almost no plot-lines were tied off, they just kept throwing more in.

I liked the bits with the dog though.
The Ghost of Ember 07-12-2006 09:48 PM
Disney has a long track record of botching sequels, and taking that into consideration I think they did an excellent job with this one. It does seem to drag in some places and some of the plot points seem completely irrelevant and are more or less abandoned as the movie moves on. Further, for every new joke introduced they reference one in the previous movie twice over, which got annoying after awhile. Cap'n Jack has lost some of his edge, but I chalk this down to him not being as new and fresh.

spoiler (highlight to read):
The romance angle didn't help much in that respect either.

As far as the ending was concerned, it was annoying that it was a cliffhanger. However I was to busy going "BARBOSA!?! FLIPPEN' A!" to care much. Seriously, I know everybody’s crazy about Jack, but Barbosa is definitely my favorite fictional pirate. I'll probably resent his revival later on, but for now I'm living it up.

Otherwise I found the movie enjoyable, several of the action sequences where simply amazing, and it was fun to go back and revisit the characters without them suffering from too much degradation or becoming caricatures of themselves, a rarity in any sequel.
Ano Hito 07-16-2006 09:25 PM
I've seen the movie twice now, and it was better the second time.

Orlando Bloom is just so boring that you want Elizabeth to end up with Jack or Norrington or ANYONE just because she deserves someone with more than two facial expressions.

I've read the first draft of the third movie, and all I have to say is that I hope it gets better because the draft I saw sucked.
Gummibear 07-18-2006 03:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
I've seen the movie twice now, and it was better the second time.

Orlando Bloom is just so boring that you want Elizabeth to end up with Jack or Norrington or ANYONE just because she deserves someone with more than two facial expressions.

I've read the first draft of the third movie, and all I have to say is that I hope it gets better because the draft I saw sucked.

It was better the second time around for me too.

About the Orlando Bloom part, I agree *Sparrabeth shipper warning*, I've always thought that the Will & Elizabeth pairing was just so boring! It's so predictable and unexciting. I was sold on the Jack and Elizabeth pairing since the first film where he saves her at the beginning. Just seemed so natural that she would gravitate towards Jack (hell, I would too!). Unfortunately it didn't really play out that way in the first film but I was pretty happy with all the Sparrabeth goodness in DMC. I love their chemistry! Elizabeth and Will as characters have ok chemistry but it's her interactions with Jack that really kept me interested.

but I hope that they don't just brush off the love-triangle thing as "just a misunderstanding" on Will's part. I mean now that they've started it they might as well play it out. Although I love the J/E pairing I don't expect them to get together...but I also wouldn't want the last film to end with a bloody wedding. *Yawn* I hope they do something interesting with it.

About the draft you saw- it wasn't that impressive- but don't worry. It's a real draft but it's been changed completely. The one you saw was put together at the very beginning for budgeting purposes and all that. It's not gospel, yet. The writers have said that the only things that have remained the same are the characters and locations. So no one really knows what the real script is yet. Wink
Nine Kuze 12-27-2006 02:56 AM
I finally got a chance to see this film and all I have to say is one word: "Oh" (I'm kiddin' but I lost count how many times Jack Sparrow said that word throughout the movie).

Anyway, the film wasn't horrible but it wasn't that good either. There were pimping the second sequel way too much, especially at the end and they left too many plot devices to have material to work with in the third movie. What was also annoying as how the majority of the film spent its time shoving the notion of a Jack/Elizabeth love relationship on us. We get it, Elizabeth wants Jack (as detailed by the compass many times) and Gummibear said something interesting about how the compass showed that Elizabeth wanted to be a pirate and not Jack himself. But to me, if that's true then why would the compass only point to Jack if she was surrounded by other pirates? Just asking and ol' girl wanted Jack the whole time.

I liked Bill Nighy as Davy Jones but to me, I think the movie failed to showing on how and why Jones was so powerful and feared. Sure, there was the whole "join my crew and turn into a sea creature inder my command for eternity" and the kraken business. But still, wasn't feeling how he could be so feared and powerful. Also, I liked Naomi Harris in her role as well, she was stealing every scene she was in.

I thought the island with the natives was pointless but I did like the three way battle between Turner, Sparrow, and Norrington. I thought Jack's last appearence (as he headed into the kraken) was corny as hell and I didn't like how Norrington ended up with the heart either (another plot device for the next movie). One more thing, it was pretty pointless in bringing back Barbosa in my book. Not only does it now render the first movie's plot (which is far better) inert, but now for some reason, the crew as to travel to "World's End" to find Jack who was taken with the Black Pearl by the kraken? The way it was pulled off... it didn't really make much sense. And why would Barbosa captain a ship that's going to recover Jack in the first place? Why?

Bloom sucked (more better than the first though) but that's a given. At least Davy Jones looked cool and they got a lot to tie up with the next movie in the franchise. Well, it could have been worse; I could have paid for it myself.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 06-19-2007 02:30 PM
*I'm bringin' it back, pusha style...*

Um, I hope Gummibear doesn't mind (she probably won't since she doesn't come here anymore. Too bad, she was cute too...) but I'm going to use this thread for the third installment of the franchise, At World's End and some discussion about that.

So I'm stealin' ol' girl's thread. Its a pirate's thread for cryin' out loud. Oh and alert, because f*** spoilers here. >_>

Anyway I saw it with my boy on a weekday, so it wasn't too pact but for the movie itself... it wasn't bad. It was sure as well better than the second one. What I didn't like was how it tried to make itself so complicated and thick as they stumbled badly on that department. For example, between Will Turner, Chow Yun Fat's character and Barabosa, there were three different back stabbing betrayals involving Lord Beckett. The way it was done was so confusing that... at least, I think there were three betrayals. There are much more throughout the movie, you loose track at around that number.

They made Davy Jones (sorry, Money) into a bitch. Unlike the second one, where he arrived into the scene and made things interesting, here all he did was complain that he was taking orders from Beckett and mourning over his love of Calypso and I'm spoiling it here because its not a big surprise even though they try to make it into one. But Calypso is Naomi Harris' character, the witch that brought back Barbosa in the second one. Jones and her have nice interaction in one scene but really, they downplayed Jones badly.

It takes like what, half and hour to 45 minutes to actually see Jack Sparrow for the first time. So that's a good chunk of the movie without the only thing that makes interesting. And when you get to Sparrow, he's in Davy Jones' Locker talking to different varations of myself (don't worry mate, he does that throughout the entire film!), trying to find a way out and licking crabs that look like rocks. No, I didn't make that up.

Keith Richards was fun to see for a minute and that's exactly as long as he's on the screen pretty much. He's not exactly the Pirate King (they make Keira that... yeah) but he's like the master of Pirates. And the ending battle wasn't too bad and it would have been better if they didn't already show it in the first one. Its the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman... this time in a whirlpool! What annoyed me was that those are the only two factions that fought as the entire Pirate Army and the entire army that Beckett was captain of did absolutely nothing. Just waiting on the wings and afterwards... but use for all that material basically.

So yeah, it annoying and it wasn't that good for all its worth but its better than the second one and plotlines are resolved from that one. And I have to say, I like how it concludes itself to start from the same point the first one began in way. Also, if you haven't seen it already, don't read this post and then stay after the end of the credits.
Peace.
Big Money 06-19-2007 02:56 PM
Yeah, they really did. He shoulda just kilt some fools when Norrington bites it and taken control of his ship right then and there.

But he was in a bucket.
Nine Kuze 06-19-2007 03:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
But he was in a bucket.

That was f***ing terrible, yeah.

"Are you afraid of death?" Boy... aren't you in a bucket? Trust me, death from you is one thing I'm not afraid of.

Also one thing that bothers the hell out of me; why didn't they at least mention the name of Davy Jones' lover before? I mean, they hinted at it in the second one when he first appeared that he was a scorned lover but all of a sudden, he's moping around like a college frat boy that got dumped by his girl and crying out her name. It was kind of sad actually, seeing them f*** up the only other interesting character they made other than Sparrow.

Also...
I do like how they made Turner the Captain of the Flying Dutchman. That was actually a good twist.

Peace.
Big Money 06-19-2007 06:01 PM
... because they were making it up as they went along?

To tell the truth, the "best" one of the three was obviously the first, but for some reason 2 is still my favorite.

And by "some reason" I mean it had Davy Jones.

The whole Calypso thing was just sorta sloppily done; it would've served them better not to hit us over the face with it. I've a whole list of plot elements I'd rather have had be different in some way, but they didn't ask me, did they... But Will definately did deserve an in-increments-of-ten-years separation from his dirty pirate hooker wife, because of all the characters in the series he's the biggest d-bag.

And I've a personal suspicion that Cutler Beckett was born without an adrenal gland. Made for some hilarious moments.

I mean, I liked it, is what I'm saying. Especially multiple Jacks and Barbossa.